Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7200 USB digital operation  (Read 7311 times)
KD0BKH

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »

Just downloaded and installed the driver to use the USB port on the radio with fldigi for PSK-31 operation.  It appears that the AF gain control determines how much signal strength I see in the waterfall.  While that's not a problem in itself, I found that I really have to crank up the AF gain to get copyable signals, and the speaker is "on".  Needless to say, I'd rather not be hearing the sigs at all.  Anybody know what the magic trick is to mute the radio's speaker during data operation?  I suppose I could just plug in headphones and put them under a pillow, but I suspect there's a better solution.  Thoughts, anyone....

Ed - KD0BKH
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 07:04:05 AM »

One way to improve things:

. . . Instead of headphones, use an unwired phone plug.

No need for a pillow.

There doesn't seem to be any "set mode" switch to turn the whole loudspeaker/headphone subsystem "on" or "off".  I checked the manual.

One other possibility (no guarantee that this will work):

Since you're using the Icom USB "sound card" for digital output, the computer's sound card and loudspeaker are sitting idle.

There are "virtual audio cables" -- software -- that might let you "wire" the rig's USB output to the computer's sound card output, which would drive the computer's loudspeaker (or headphone output).  That would give you a volume control for the
computer's loudspeaker, independent for that of the rig.

There's an active Yahoo group for the IC-7200 - you might try asking there.

.                Charles
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:11:52 AM by VA7CPC » Logged
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:32:08 PM »

Ed,

I have a IC-7410 with USB port I use for PSK31.  I'm writing this assuming the USB port operates the same way with the two rigs.

On my setup, I can turn down the audio gain, and I still see signals on the waterfall, meaning the AF gain control is independent of USB gain control.  My understanding is that in order to crank up/down the USB audio output, you will need to increase the volume using the speaker icon in your system tray.

Since changing your AF gain changes your waterfall, I have to assume that you have the incorrect sound card selected in your PSK31 software, and that you are actually picking up the audio signal through your PC's microphone.

So, my first recommendation is to check which sound card your software is using (yes, I said which, meaning you should be seeing at least two sound cards).  If you only see one, I would guess that something isn't right with your driver install.  If you see two, try switching over to the other sound card to see if it makes any difference.  If you select the right sound card, you should be able to see the waterfall with the AF gain turned all the way down.

If my comments don't apply to your radio, please ignore my post.  But if you'd like more information on my setup, send me a reply and I'll try to help.

N8YQX

N8YQX
KD0BKH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:17:19 AM »

N8YQX -

Thanks for the reply.  I probably should have posted back that I did get the receive gain problem sorted out, and the radio now receives normally.  I'm still not able to get the USB connection working in transmit - the radio will key, but no signal goes out.  For the time being, I'm shelving this project, as I have another local ham who's having the same problem with his 7200.  This radio is for our SATERN communications vehicle, and we have another radio that we can use for PSK - I was just wanting to have the 7200 available as a backup.  Thanks again for you help.

Ed - KD0BKH
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 06:16:23 AM »

Ed,

Sounds like you are moving onto other projects for now.  However, for your modulation problem, I may know what's going on.

Three things to check are:

1. Is the radio in USB-D (Upper Side Band - Digital)?  With my radio, USB-D is accessed by putting the radio in USB mode, then holding down the SSB button until the "D" appears on the display.
2. In the settings menu, there should be a menu for selecting the modulation source for Digital modulation.  This needs to be set to USB.
3. Lastly, you many need to tweak the output gain on the PC side using the speaker icon in the tray.

I hope it works out for you.

N8YQX

N8YQX
KD0BKH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »

N8YQX -

Thanks much - I'll try these before putting the project on the shelf.  I also run an IC-746Pro at home, and hadn't thought about these - but it sounds exactly like the 746 setup. (embarrassed grin)

Thanks again & 73,

Ed - KD0BKH
WB3DLS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 05:42:02 AM »

I'm trying to get my 7200 to work with fldigi through its USB port as you have. I have the driver running and can receive audio but try as I might I can not get RIG CAT to work to transmit. I also have a ICOM-9100 and have that working with fldigi through its USB port just fine, so I'm fairly familiar with the process. Any info you could give me about your 7200 setup would be greatly appreciated. Especially the RIG CAT xml file. Are you using it as downloaded? What address are you using for the 7200?

Thanks for the help,

Bill - WB3DLS
KD0BKH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »

Ed,

Sounds like you are moving onto other projects for now.  However, for your modulation problem, I may know what's going on.

1. Is the radio in USB-D (Upper Side Band - Digital)?  With my radio, USB-D is accessed by putting the radio in USB mode, then holding down the SSB button until the "D" appears on the display.
2. In the settings menu, there should be a menu for selecting the modulation source for Digital modulation.  This needs to be set to USB.
3. Lastly, you many need to tweak the output gain on the PC side using the speaker icon in the tray.

N8YQX

Many thanks - I did have the rig set to digital mode, but hadn't told it to use the USB as a modulation source (thanks for the tip on the menu setting).

I do still have one problem, though.  The rig now hears and talks like it should, with one (kind of important) problem - the software won't key the rig into transmit.  If I manually key the rig, it transmits just fine - I just can't seem to get the software to do it.  What's really frustrating is that it did key up before I changed the modulation source in the menu settings, and now it won't.  I'm sure I changed something while I was dinking around with the menu settings, but have no idea what I might have changed.

To WB3DLS - I'm not using RIG CAT at all - & that may be the reason I'm not keying when the software starts talking.  I guess maybe I fibbed when I said I was going to shelve the problem for the time being - now I have to figure it out.  Will post back when / if I get everything working at the same time.

73 to all,

Ed - KD0BKH
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:04:05 AM »

Ed,

I'm not sure what other features your software has, but can you control other aspects of the radio from the PC?  For example, can you switch frequencies?

Looking through the manual, some potential menu settings to check would be:

-CI-V Baud Rate
-CI-V Address
-USB Serial Func

When I tried to use DigiPan with my radio, I found out that DigiPan supports frequency change via CI-V, but it doesn't support software PTT.  I ended up using HRD, which support software PTT.

-N8YQX

Ed,

N8YQX

Many thanks - I did have the rig set to digital mode, but hadn't told it to use the USB as a modulation source (thanks for the tip on the menu setting).

I do still have one problem, though.  The rig now hears and talks like it should, with one (kind of important) problem - the software won't key the rig into transmit.  If I manually key the rig, it transmits just fine - I just can't seem to get the software to do it.  What's really frustrating is that it did key up before I changed the modulation source in the menu settings, and now it won't.  I'm sure I changed something while I was dinking around with the menu settings, but have no idea what I might have changed.

To WB3DLS - I'm not using RIG CAT at all - & that may be the reason I'm not keying when the software starts talking.  I guess maybe I fibbed when I said I was going to shelve the problem for the time being - now I have to figure it out.  Will post back when / if I get everything working at the same time.

73 to all,

Ed - KD0BKH

N8YQX
KD0BKH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 01:43:02 PM »

Just a quick update....

I reloaded the Win drivers from Icom, then reloaded the NBEMS software (including flrig).  Ran through the configuration steps, and now all is working fine.  One problem that was apparently keeping me from keying the rig was that I hadn't set it to key via ci-v commands.  Once that was set, all works well, and I just finished a 35 minute QSO without a hiccup.  Thanks to all for your help....

Ed - KD0BKH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: