Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mosley senior trap repair.  (Read 2061 times)
KD7EHB

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:18:30 AM »

Well, I have the dreaded high swr on 15 and 20 m on a modified CL-33 again. Having had this beam for years and having done battle with this issue before, I know when I remove the DE and open the traps I'll find the coil form cracked and separated, hence throwing the curves off. I've noticed super glue has a 2 year life. Shocked  I'm wondering what others have used to repair the forms that is a bit more durable. ( My profile has a nice pic of the aforementioned critter.)
Scott,KD7EHB
W5ZL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:33:36 AM »

I too have a Mosley CL-33 on the ground at this time that I intend to restore; so, any information as to the best method there is to be used in refurbishing the traps that will have a long life span between repairs.  Your time and consideration is greatly appreciated.
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:00:36 PM »

Hi,

These guys did a lot of work on one:

http://www.mindspring.com/~vibroplex/FD/Field%20Day.html

I think the epoxy is a good idea.  I would use the long set (2-ton) type as it is much stronger than the five minute kind and will give it time to soak in.  You could also try polyester resin like they use in boat repair.

Looked like a lot of their traps had water/mud/gook/etc in them.  After fixing the cracks I would seal them up with some of that long-life GE silicone sealant.

Best of luck with the repairs, it looks like a great antenna.

Mark / N7EKU
VA3GUY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 05:07:47 AM »

Thanks for the excellent link Mark.  I too have a TA-33 that I am going to be refurbishing next spring so this is excellent info for me as well.  I am looking to add the TA-40-KR 40 meter add on but they seem to be more rare than gold.  Anyone reading this know of one for sale by any chance?

Thank much...Guy
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:51:35 AM »

I buying a new trap from Mosley and option?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: