Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tilt over base for R7 Vertical  (Read 2460 times)
K1ZJH

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:10:35 AM »

I need some ideas on a tilt base for a Crunchcraft R7 vertical.  Mine used one came with a DX Engineering base which has turned out to be much to light duty for the R7 mast requirements.  I'd like to be able to tilt the mast over from a corner post on a chain link fence, or from a gate post. These are cemented into the ground.

Pete
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »

Quote from: K1ZJH
I need some ideas for a tilt-over mount for my Cushcraft R7 vertical antenna.
The used DX Engineering tilt-over base turned out to be too lightweight for the R7 base section mast requirements.
Pete --

I have assembled and dis-assembled the Cushcraft R7 from various tubing mounts (portable use for special event stations, ARRL Field Day, etc.) over the past decade.

The R-7 (and R-5) antenna work best when mounted on 1-1/2 inch (OD) aluminum mast, 8 to 12 feet above the ground.  This gets the 48" counterpoise wires (seven) above the reach of people, since the ends of these wires are normally HV points.

The R-7 should also be guyed above or at the second X-hat, to reduce the whipping in high winds due to the mass of the upper antenna traps.

Heavy duty commercial offerings are available, such as the Penninger Tipper system.
This system can be portable OR for permanent antenna installations.
http://www.penningerradio.com/

Photo gallery of Penninger Tipper mounted to truck, wooden post, concrete footing, portable tripod, etc.
http://www.penningerradio.com/image_gallery.asp

IF you have access to a machine or fabrication shop and tools, then DIY is another option.

w9gb
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:56:52 AM by W9GB » Logged
G0VKT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:16:43 PM »

How about scaffold fixings and poles? You can get a nice swivel clamp for little money.
Especially if you talk to the contractors and offer them some beer money!

I have a a 6M aluminium scaffold pole as a centre support that will tilt using scaffolding bits. Mounted 3M above ground and braced against the house.

If you send me an email address I can send pictures for a bit of inspiration.

Paul.
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:10:55 AM »

As W9GB stated it is worth your while to take a look at the Penninger Tipper series. I'm in the process of putting a 3 element 6 meter beam on Penninger components and the Tipper Junior mount is a brute. It consists of precisely machined aluminum components and a 5/8" diameter hinge bolt with close tolerance side bracing. It should solve the problem of side to side wobbling inherent with cheaper tilt mounts. Yes it ain't cheap but you know the saying.

Mike K2MK
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:32:24 AM »

I need some ideas on a tilt base for a Crunchcraft R7 vertical.  Mine used one came with a DX Engineering base which has turned out to be much to light duty for the R7 mast requirements.  I'd like to be able to tilt the mast over from a corner post on a chain link fence, or from a gate post. These are cemented into the ground.

Pete

Hi Pete - I have an R7 and I also purchased a tilt unit from DX, I am not sure if there are any differences between each version of the tilt units they sell but now you have me worried as I was just about to install mine but a leg injury has delayed the installation.
What kind of issues did you experience with your set up?
I was going to bury a 2" pipe that had at least 5 to 7 ft section of it above ground, then attach the tilt base to this as in the instructions at around 24" from the ground. Then I would use the remainder of the mast as a suppot to clamp the mast for the R7 to when it is in the upright position.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:57:02 AM »

Hi Pete - I have an R7 and I also purchased a tilt unit from DX, I am not sure if there are any differences between each version of the tilt units they sell but now you have me worried as I was just about to install mine but a leg injury has delayed the installation.
I was going to bury a 2" pipe that had at least 5 to 7 ft section of it above ground, then attach the tilt base to this as in the instructions at around 24" from the ground. Then I would use the remainder of the mast as a suppot to clamp the mast for the R7 to when it is in the upright position.

The biggest problem is that the R7 should have at least a 1.5" support mast, and my DX Engineering swivel base will only accept 1.25" diameter mast.  I am not that impressed with the way the DX Engineering base works, unless you can manhandle the entire antenna assembly and mast the the swivel bracket mechanism will bind and damage the lower stainless steel U Bolt. This was a used package deal, I wouldn't have done it myself.

Pete
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »

The biggest problem is that the R7 should have at least a 1.5" support mast, and my DX Engineering swivel base will only accept 1.25" diameter mast.  I am not that impressed with the way the DX Engineering base works, unless you can manhandle the entire antenna assembly and mast the the swivel bracket mechanism will bind and damage the lower stainless steel U Bolt. This was a used package deal, I wouldn't have done it myself.

Pete

Your unit is not correct for the R7, that is a problem.
The correct tilt unit is TD4B, this will except up to a 1.75" mast size.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »

You are probably correct. Like I mentioned, the DX Eng. bracket came bundled with the used R7.  I could sell the DX Eng. bracket and come out way ahead Smiley

I think I will fabricate my own design next spring. I am not that enamored with the R7 that I would spend a lot of money on its installation--I was interested in having a backup antenna that would cover 40/30 meters in case the dipoles come down during a snow storm.

Pete
N0NOB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »

Pete:

Still need info for fold-over mast.
Have a home brew that has been in use about 15 years.

Irv/N0NOB
WA3NKO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »

I used this setup for years.  What is the problem?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: