Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hexbeam at 10 Feet vs Hustler 6BTV  (Read 3642 times)
N3OP

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »

I recently moved to a house that has antenna restrictions.  Since I have a couple trees on the rear of my lot, I plan to install either a Hexbeam at 10 feet or a Hustler 6BTV vertical ground mounted with 24 radials behind the trees to reduce the visibility of the antenna.  Do you think the Hexbeam installed at 10 feet will outperform the 6BTV vertical ground mounted on 10-15-20 meters?

Thanks,

Reggie
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:54:46 PM »

No.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »

I think it depends a lot on how good the radial field for the vertical is.

With no copper wire radials, I think a low Hex Beam would blow away the vertical.

With 60 copper wire radials, it will be more of a race.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:09:29 PM »

And it depends on your local ground conditions out far beyond the ends
of the radial field as well.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »

Would you be able to rotate the hexbeam?  If not, then the vertical definitely has advantages in several directions.

John AF5CC
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »

Not worth the trouble if it is only at 10 feet.

1. Think of a dipole at that height.  Way too low.  Now imagine a directive antenna (the hex beam) at that height, still too low.

Here's a good analysis from G3TXQ

http://karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/height/

Now, will you be able to work somebody?  Sure.  But you won't get the benefit for the effort, compared to the vertical.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 08:31:03 PM »

Since I have a couple trees on the rear of my lot,

Why not use the trees to support some wire antennas?  Probably better than an *BTV, cheaper an less visible.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 10:31:55 PM »

Since you seem to have some preference for stealthy antenna's I would go with the vertical.
Just put down the best radial field you can, and it will work very well.
The hexbeam is not really what I would call a low impact antenna (although less than many beams).

I am in a restricted antenna environment ( I actually take down and put up my antenna every day!).
I have tried close coupled folded wire 2 element yagis (which is all hexbeams and moxons really are).
They still work at low heights ( I had mine at 12 feet!) provided you are in an elevated location with rock and sandy soil.

However, after trying many many different types of these antenna's I can say categorically, that a vertical with a good radial setup, for stealthy installations, will give the best signal for DX.
For local contacts verticals are next to useless, but for DX they rule.

You have to decide whether you want primarily DX or local contacts, but I assure you from many years of experimenting, that for dx the vertical is king.
Remember, the only advantage of a hexbeam is that you get some front to back and some gain.
On DX this could easily be outweighed by having most of your radiation going up at high angles giving more path loss.

Of course a poorly installed vertical will be a poor performer - but you know where you have to concentrate - the radials.
Since you can't change the far off landscape, any other factors are academic.

Good luck,

73 - Rob
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 02:41:25 AM »

My results with hex vs.vertical on 20m. Both at 23 ft. at top of element.The hex is definitely quieter making it possible for me to to hear and work more qrp/dx than on the vertical even when I had the hex temporarily mounted at 10 ft.on a
stepladder.After 3 years of A/B comps with all my wire and  including the hex antennas that all started out at about 38 feet, all ended up to be most effective and efficient at about 23 feet.At my location, height is not better.As WB6BYU stated above,ground conditions are one of the major factors in deciding which antenna type will be the most effecient for your operating needs.I only found this out myself by trial  and error with lots of experimentation thrown in.
N3OP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 04:58:28 AM »

Would you be able to rotate the hexbeam?  If not, then the vertical definitely has advantages in several directions.

John AF5CC

Yes, I will installbe able to rotate the hexbeam.
N3OP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 05:03:50 AM »

Since I have a couple trees on the rear of my lot,

Why not use the trees to support some wire antennas?  Probably better than an *BTV, cheaper an less visible.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

The trees are about 30 feet tall, and the distance between them is only 8 feet.
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 05:09:54 AM »

Is this an either/or? Can you have both? The vertical gives you access to 80, 40, and 30 meters which are good DX bands. I would hate to give them up. Add a good radial field and the vertical will provide a lot of enjoyment on those bands.

I think a rotating hex beam at 10 feet will sometimes produce better results than a vertical with a good radial field. I am basing this on when I had my hex beam at 20 feet compared to my vertical. At 20 feet it blew away my vertical. Also, after you have the hex beam installed for a year or more you may be able to sneak it up higher.

Mike K2MK
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 06:55:28 AM »

IMO a rotatable Hexbeam at 10 feet is a really, really good way to get caught and shut down!

Do you just have to keep your antennas' visual profile low or are you actually trying to hide them?

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »

I recently moved to a house that has antenna restrictions.  Since I have a couple trees on the rear of my lot, I plan to install either a Hexbeam at 10 feet or a Hustler 6BTV vertical ground mounted with 24 radials behind the trees to reduce the visibility of the antenna.  Do you think the Hexbeam installed at 10 feet will outperform the 6BTV vertical ground mounted on 10-15-20 meters? Thanks, Reggie

Reggie,
For worldwide DX, the Hexbeam @ 10' may be viable on 10M if propagation is really good.  For 12M and 15M, perhaps some SA, EU, and AF. 
The soil condx there in SE Virginia are fair to good, so I'd go with the vertical, with lots of radials.
GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »

Looks like the 6BTV is the only thing going for you. Lottsa radials and barefoot power and the digital modes.
You only have enough real estate to have a 10M dipole. The HexBeam will not work. 30 feet high minimum. The Communist neighborhood will not like it.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: