Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT thru airport security  (Read 4026 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »

If I take this with me, will I have trouble at security? Should I bring my license?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »

Yes, have your license.  Be prepared to turn it on to demonstrate that it is what it seems to be.  If you have lithium ion batteries, they may not allow it aboard the aircraft at all.  If you are told that you cannot fly with it, do not argue - you may end up with out a radio in the end.  And, DO NOT, under any circumstances, turn it on once you are on the aircraft.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »

Never had a problem with mine. Never even had a security screener take a look at it. I try to remember to take it out of my bag and put it in one of the bins, but it has never mattered either way. Don't worry about it.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »

I have never been asked to turn on any radios or GPS units.

I usually take 1 or 2 XTS5000' s an MT1000LB and an ICOM T7H routinely between Phoenix and Portland, Phoenix and Minneapolis and Phoenix and Detroit and I have never been asked to turn any of them on.

I have never had a problem with the batteries either and while waiting for others to board, while still on the ground, I have had my radio on listening mode using a bluetooth headset and never had a problem with the flight crew.

Once the seat belt sign is on and were leaving the gate I turn everything off and put it away in my underseat bag until we land.

I always have a copy of my license, a QST and all operating manuals in plain sight with my radios and I keep everything in my carry on bag.

When going through security I pull all radios and chargers out and place them into a bin for closer inspection.

This is my preference to carry all in my carry on bag because Phoenix is notorious for having radio and cell phone chargers stolen from checked baggage so I carry my radios and chargers in my carry on bag.

In 10 years of flying I have only had one TSA screener comment and it was in in Portland Oregon and he said nice radios.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »

hi,

I have the NOAA weather frequencies in my 2m
so if they want to see the radio working easy to do
and they can't transmit if they push the TX button.

I only fly on the east coast and they ask me to turn
it on when I am at Newark Liberty airport.

162.400, 162.425, 162.450, 162.475,
162.500, 162.525 and 162.550

73 james
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 07:53:46 PM »

hi,

I have the NOAA weather frequencies in my 2m
so if they want to see the radio working easy to do
and they can't transmit if they push the TX button.

I only fly on the east coast and they ask me to turn
it on when I am at Newark Liberty airport.

162.400, 162.425, 162.450, 162.475,
162.500, 162.525 and 162.550

73 james

Thanks. Will do.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »

I carry my battery pack in a separate plastic zip lock bag beside the radio.  That way it is
available if I need to turn it on (though I've never been asked) but I don't have to worry
about it getting switched on by accident.
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 12:20:47 AM »

One time in Dallas/Ft. Worth I was randomly selected for a more thorough search where they pull you out of the line and in to a special search station and really go through your carry-on luggage. In the mean time they found out that our plane wouldn't be able to fly do to brake problems. This brought everything to a halt, including my screening. I was stuck at the screening station with about 4 of the TSA agents and all of my stuff spread out on a table. Well one of the agents started asking me about the radio and what it was for and that's when I was able to give a good introduction to the world of ham radio. Before it was over all four of them became involve and started asking questions about ham radio. We actually had a lot of fun and I think they were impressed. They never did finish screening me and that hour and a half flew by vary fast.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 01:09:32 AM »

Li-Ion batteries actually can be a problem. I always make sure they can not accidentally be shorted, i.e. wrap them and put them in a little plastic bag. You also might tape the open contacts. Sometimes they might ask you about that rather than the radio itself.
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 03:46:18 AM »

Batteries are more of a problem when not in the radio.. keep them installed.. I have seen spare laptop batteries stopped, however none ever when installed.. shorting and charging are the problems.. Fred
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 04:58:26 AM »

Many HTs do have outside charging terminals of the battery which could become shorted even though the battery is installed. I'm always extra careful to keep conducting material away from these terminals.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 05:10:26 AM »

FT-60. No Li-ion
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 06:04:24 AM »

As a pilot I have to ask why would you want to carry it on the aircraft?  You can't use it while the aircraft is in flight.  Put it in your checked luggage.

Dick  AD4U
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 08:44:03 AM »

I often try to fly without any checked baggage if possible, so everything goes in carry-on.

That means I can't take my Leatherman tool because it has a knife blade, but it is faster
and there is less chance of things getting lost.  (Though my carry-on bags managed to
get off the plane in the wrong state once...)

I often fly internationally with 2m yagi and Moxon antennas in my carry-on luggage.
I've only been questioned once, when the boom of a HB9CV wouldn't fit inside and
was instead strapped across the top of my bag.  But that officer was more concerned
why I was only staying 2 days in the country, as there was much to see and I really
should plan to spend longer.

What attracted much more attention than my radio equipment was the 5 pound block
of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar cheese:  that gets my bag opened for manual inspection
every time.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 11:11:43 AM »

I have placed phone, ipad and radio chargers in my checked baggage in the past and had them mysterious leave my bags when flying from Phoenix Sky Harbor airport so never again for me.

I forgot to mention that also I set my VHF and dual band radios to a weather channel also just in case someone turns one on.

And last I also forgot to mention about the plastic bag for spare batteries and radios, I ave been doing this lately and it does speed up the Bin checks by TSA as opposed to having things loose.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: