Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT thru airport security  (Read 4686 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »

As a pilot I have to ask why would you want to carry it on the aircraft?  You can't use it while the aircraft is in flight.  Put it in your checked luggage.

Dick  AD4U

Because they can walk with it if they want to during a check, and there is not a damn thing I can do.
W4RS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 10:44:54 PM »

since aircraft crew bags are not checked, easy for you to say. i have had laptop stolen in newark, a ht in detroit etc. sorry guy, but i am also a pilot, its the people in the tsa and baggage that make it necessary to carry it with you.
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »

I carried about 6 to 8 HT's thru PBI onetime on business, all with Li-Ion batts attached.  TSA wondered for a time with them, called a supervisor, wiped a couple down and sniffed, but I got to carry them thru OK.  There is no "law" against HT on a plane.  I try to fly without checking bags.  I've had only one item ever confiscated, and it was a box cutter, pre 911, go figure.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 06:20:02 AM »

Yep TSA is the "Problem".  There is no law that says you cannot carry a walkie talkie on a commercial aircraft.  I have done it as a passeger and as a pilot.  I am not even sure of there is a "law" that states that you cannot transmit on a commercial aircraft.  However it is apparently an airline policy that you cannot.

Many private, commercial, and military pilots are HAMs.  Many carry HT's while piloting aircraft.  I do when flying the little Cessna.  The "un-official" aircraft to aircraft simplex frequencies are 146.550 and 146.580.  It is interesting how far 5 watts goes when both aircraft are at 38,000 feet.  Been there. Done that.

Dick  AD4U
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 03:04:38 PM »

There is actually a law against carrying an HT in our checked luggage if it has LI batteries. If they ask why you are carrying on board, tell them about the LI batteries and the requirement to carry them on board rather than checking.

I've flown with an HT 10 or 12 times and I've never had them ask about it.

Bernie
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »

I travel regularly with my Icom T7H, domestically and internationally.  I leave it in my carry-on as it goes through the x-ray machine and no one has ever asked about it.  My iPad gets more attention than the HT.  I do carry my license in my wallet, and the FCC Public Notice on operating in CEPT countries in the bag with the radio when travelling to Europe, just in case, but I have never had to explain what it is or why I am carrying it.  I am actually a little surprised by that.

73 de Tony K1OC
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 08:36:06 AM »

As a pilot I have to ask why would you want to carry it on the aircraft?  You can't use it while the aircraft is in flight.  Put it in your checked luggage.

Dick  AD4U

Agents with sticky fingers is one reason.  Also, most punctual people don't go straight ticketing counter to immediately board the plane. Sitting in the terminal with nothing better to do can be remedied by having a handy scratchy with you.
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »

Some time ago a veteran TSA  agent who was training a newbie pulled my HT from my carry-on and asked me, "What's this?" The newbie jumped in with, "That's a Yeasu FT-60 dual band HT," The newbie was a ham. Oh, the friendly skys. :-) On to the plane it went.

Russ
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »

Airports are funny. Going to Dayton the other year, I get to US immigration. The immigration guy sees I'm on vacation and asks how long I'm going to be there. When told 5 days, he asks why because it's not long for a US vacation. So I explain to him that I'm going to the big ham radio event at Dayton.

'Are you a ham?'

'Yes'

'What's your callsign?'

'G3RZP'

Starts stamping passport, stops and then asks 'Didn't you have an article in QEX the other month?'

'Yes'

'Thought so. Good article. 73'

Finishes stamping documents.....

I was too startled to ask his call.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »

Dick  AD4U

1.  I don't check a bag.  If I cannot carry it I don't need it.
2.  I want my property to arrive in the condition in which it left.  So unless you can guarantee TSA won't steal it and your airlines baggage gorillas won't throw, crush, run over, drop, steal, or otherwise mistreat my bag I'll keep it with me.
3.  I often use it right after deplaning to coordinate with my pickup, and would not be able to do so while sitting for 4 hours in baggage claim waiting for your airline to get my bag there like the last time I checked a bag. 

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »

I went thru and put it in the bin with my cell phone. Went thru Xray untouched. They did not say a peep.

But on my checked bagged, they did not rezip my bag correctly, and lost my eyeglasses! Doh !
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: