Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ODDS on QSO with ZL9HR  (Read 10139 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 08:28:18 AM »

Maybe I missed this. I read they are not permitted to stay "overnight" on the island. Presumably that means they will not operate during their "overnight" hours, does anyone know what the OFF THE AIR hours are in UTC?

paul

Paul,

Please check out their "plans" section on their website - and I have also posted VOACAP propagation charts with these blackout times "hatched out" - so that it is very easy to plan your operating schedule around when you have propagation:

http://ky6r.wordpress.com

This link is referenced in K3EL's Plans pages on their site.

73 es GL,

Rich
KY6R
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 08:31:22 AM »

Maybe I missed this. I read they are not permitted to stay "overnight" on the island. Presumably that means they will not operate during their "overnight" hours, does anyone know what the OFF THE AIR hours are in UTC?

paul

Pretty sure its around 1000Z  -  1600Z, which is not helpful to E. coast  Sad .

73/GL, Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 08:40:24 AM »

paul

Pretty sure its around 1000Z  -  1600Z, which is not helpful to E. coast  Sad .

73/GL, Gene AF3Y

They have changed this slightly - 1000 - 1500 utc - so its a little better than what their initial plans were, but personally, I think this makes any low band operations low on the productivity scale. Especially to the Northern Hemisphere where we have longest nights and they have longest days "down south". You can really see this using DX Atlas.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:58 AM »

So they will be QRT at 4am East coast time. That's gonna be pushing it for 40. Looks like best bet might be East coast evenings. Thanks.

paul
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 08:58:27 AM »

Well to put it in generic terms that most will agree with .....

if you don't try at all ..... 0%  Sad
if you try barefoot and weak antenna ..... less than that of QRO and a stack of monobanders  Grin

I'm hoping to get at least one in the log and maybe more if I'm really lucky and actually get time to operate. Lately it's been a crapshoot as to whether I find time and if I do, is there any decent signals heard.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »

Great strategy. Here's another "trick":
Don't just look at what propagation looks like for YOUR area - but when your competitors will NOT have propagation.

Shhhhhh! Don't go giving away my secrets!!!!   Grin Grin Grin Shocked

I use the ARRL Antenna Book's propagation tables to do precisely that and they've never let me down.

Limit your competition via "natural selection".

And make sure your antennas are better than others that are in that "naturally selected" area that you are competing against.

Finally - if you can't hear them - make sure you re-build your antenna farm adding 2 dBd gain and drop the takeoff angle by a couple of degrees. Worry more about Signal to Noise ratio than Front to Back. Front to Back is the next thing to worry about.

And make sure you are an EXPERT at working split and tracking how the DX runs the pileups and where they will be next.

That's it. KY6R's Guide to WINNING! (Which I am sure I learned from Bob Lochers book . . . )

Here's the thing. If everyone did this - the pileups would become more orderly and there would be no frustration. There would actually be a LOT less competition - you'd just wait your turn. It would be more like Christmas Shopping online than going to the Mall and getting into a fist fight buying naughty skivvies at Victoria's Secret (cymbal crash!).

Some people like fights and doing things the hard way I guess . . . . missing a few choice DX-peds was the best thing that ever happened to me - motivated me to stop trying to roll a boulder up a hill . . .

Metaphorically speaking of course . . .

Drop the takeoff angle a few degrees....
Nice Idea.

Where do I get the bulldozer(s) and explosives that would take HuhHuh??
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »

From KY6R website, off time is 0800Z.
I forgot back on air time. I assume their sunrise. 1630Z ?

This will be tough IMHO because of QRM/pileups.
Well tough for us modest stations.

Tony N5UD /M in Texas
Prolly more like 1700Z. If they are going off one hour before sunset at 0907Z, they'll probably come on one hour after sunrise at 1559Z.

I'll give my odds at 5% of getting any contact on any band. Certainly not going to make it against 100 big guns firing 1500 watts each, all at once.

- 73, Steve (WX2S.)

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »

They have arrived!

http://dx-world.net/

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 12:16:03 PM »

From KY6R website, off time is 0800Z.
I forgot back on air time. I assume their sunrise. 1630Z ?

This will be tough IMHO because of QRM/pileups.
Well tough for us modest stations.

Tony N5UD /M in Texas
Prolly more like 1700Z. If they are going off one hour before sunset at 0907Z, they'll probably come on one hour after sunrise at 1559Z.

I'll give my odds at 5% of getting any contact on any band. Certainly not going to make it against 100 big guns firing 1500 watts each, all at once.

- 73, Steve (WX2S.)

1500 watts PLUS their antenna gain !
Makes it rough for us little guys,
but NOT impossible.

Glad to hear they have arrived, now to get on-shore
safely and get set up.

Good Luck !
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 12:55:36 PM »

Well I was thinking that my odds for a contact were < 1%, as I am only looking for a 160m QSO.  Due to the political constraints the team is under, I believed that a low band contact was going to be essentially impossible.  However after checking against their imposed quiet hours and the Campbell Island sunset, it looks as though there may be some chance of of a 160m contact between their sunset at 0907Z and imposed QRT at 1000Z.  Gonna have to burn some midnight oil...
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 01:59:26 PM »

ZL4PW. Nice signal into North Texas on 12M CW.

That's a good sign!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 02:17:14 PM »

ZL4PW. Nice signal into North Texas on 12M CW.

That's a good sign!

Same here in NCAL. VK's on 10M as well, and amazing signal from KH2L on 17M - S9 +20 for over an hour now. Minimum 10 over, peaked at 30 over . . . . (the stack works very well . . . )
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »

Don't just look at what propagation looks like for YOUR area - but when your competitors will NOT have propagation.

I use the ARRL Antenna Book's propagation tables to do precisely that and they've never let me down.

And make sure your antennas are better than others that are in that "naturally selected" area that you are competing against.

Finally - if you can't hear them - make sure you re-build your antenna farm adding 2 dBd gain and drop the takeoff angle by a couple of degrees. Worry more about Signal to Noise ratio than Front to Back. Front to Back is the next thing to worry about.

And make sure you are an EXPERT at working split and tracking how the DX runs the pileups and where they will be next.

That's it. KY6R's Guide to WINNING! (Which I am sure I learned from Bob Lochers book . . . )

Here's the thing. If everyone did this - the pileups would become more orderly and there would be no frustration. There would actually be a LOT less competition - you'd just wait your turn. It would be more like Christmas Shopping online than going to the Mall and getting into a fist fight buying naughty skivvies at Victoria's Secret (cymbal crash!).

Some people like fights and doing things the hard way I guess . . . . missing a few choice DX-peds was the best thing that ever happened to me - motivated me to stop trying to roll a boulder up a hill . . .

Nice Idea.

I just heard your KH2L QSO - I can hear everyone in the East Coast as well as everything is OC-PAC - and you beat the pileup. That's good news for you!
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »

Nice Idea.

I just heard your KH2L QSO - I can hear everyone in the East Coast as well as everything is OC-PAC - and you beat the pileup. That's good news for you!

I was very surprized he heard me, and quite pleased too !!!!!!
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 03:41:06 PM »

When they get there and get fully operational, I am putting MY odds for at least one QSO to be
around 30%, if I can hear them of course. (also assuming at least 7 days of operation. Any less,
and the odds drop like a rock.)

Thats with a 1/4 wave wire vertical and 1KW QRO.

How do you feel about YOUR odds of getting this rare one?  Huh

73, GL to all who need this one, Gene AF3Y

Condx have been really shabby here for the past few days.  I can BARELY hear the 7P and 5T(both seem very weak) , so who knows what I will hear from the ZL9...  Probably nuttin Roll Eyes.

I am going to lower my odds of working em to less than 10%, simply because I am not hearing much of anything from that area. You guys are hearing better than me.

Hopefully the wild people and the amateur DXers will shoot their wads this weekend, and I will get serious about trying the ZL9 come Monday.

GL to all.... 73, Gene AF3Y
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: