Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ODDS on QSO with ZL9HR  (Read 9328 times)
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »

What these guys get out of giving each other the weather report for their QTH is about the extent of their conversations. 

On one of those 40m nets, a station was giving out a repot as follows -  22 22 rifle shot, rifle shot. What the heck is that.
Now that is one reason why my 2m brand new rig has a dead battery from not keeping it charged up. Oh well.

Krish
w4vku

Sounds like the late night 40m SSB net, Triple H Net on 7.190mhz.  The minimum signal report is 2x2, minimum minimum rifle shot bang bang.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »

After a frustrating weekend trying to work the ZL9HR, I walked in from work tonite called about 5 times on 21.300 in the log. Larry if your reading this Im pullin for you, but honestly they havnt had much of a signal, guess time of year, bottom of the monthly cycle, SPIDER BEAM ANTENNAS - sure hope the VK0H gang are going to take some real antennas, GL Larry 73 Dan WG5G.
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2012, 05:32:28 PM »

It should be alot easier from NA than over here,

its 5000km further to ZL9 here than from the east coast.

I worked them on 4 slots in a few hours today never called for more than 5 minutes,

I was using 400w to either a Hex beam or a Rotary dipole for 30/40m at 45ft.

Got 20m CW/SSB and 40m SSB and 30m CW

heard them on 17m CW but had to go QRT just as the started.

forget all the prop predictions and calculations turn on your rig and listen, if you can't hear them keep listening until you can,

If you never do then you need a better antenna.

Trevor
EI2GLB
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2012, 05:58:22 PM »

It should be alot easier from NA than over here,

its 5000km further to ZL9 here than from the east coast.

I worked them on 4 slots in a few hours today never called for more than 5 minutes,

I was using 400w to either a Hex beam or a Rotary dipole for 30/40m at 45ft.

Got 20m CW/SSB and 40m SSB and 30m CW

heard them on 17m CW but had to go QRT just as the started.

forget all the prop predictions and calculations turn on your rig and listen, if you can't hear them keep listening until you can,

If you never do then you need a better antenna.

Trevor
EI2GLB

Well said.
KB9BIT

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2012, 08:15:33 AM »

My odds just dropped to about 0%  My rig and/or power supply died last night.  I smelled some pretty acrid odor coming from the power supply and then it quit.  I have a chance to borrow one and I may have to resurrect my old IC-725 but I only have Friday all day to try for this one.   Grrrrr.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2012, 09:13:50 AM »

Best case - someone will go activate one of these:

3Y0/B, E3, FR/G, FR/T, FT5Z, KH5K, KP1, VP8/S

VP8S and FR/T are both due for activations.  I think it has been over 10 years since both were activated.  Need FR/T on CW (have it on SSB and RTTY) and VP8S on anything.  Don't think KH5K is going to happen soon but then you never know . Same for KP1.

John AF5CC
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:48 AM »

I'm listening to them work the pileup on 17 meters (18.080) and they have a really nice signal into the West Coast right now, S9+. Hope those that are still looking to snag this one catches them today Smiley

John K7KB
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »

Nice signal here also in North Texas. Looks like a small but manageable crowd calling them.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »

I'm listening to them work the pileup on 17 meters (18.080) and they have a really nice signal into the West Coast right now, S9+. Hope those that are still looking to snag this one catches them today Smiley

John K7KB

WEEEEEAK on the east coast....... Sad

Gene AF3Y
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »

Simply amazing.  I called for 2 hours on 30 meters on Saturday night (I usually have good luck there).  Nope!  Tried 17 CW on Sunday afternoon for an hour.  Nope. 

Then Sunday night as I was getting ready for bed for road trip on Monday, ready to give up, I tuned around and checked the cluster.  Spot on 15 meters west coast, band was dead here.  Went down and watched some TV.  Came up at 0400 UTC ready for bed, checked the bands once more.  Lo and behold, there they were on 20 CW.  Got them on the third call!  Saw them spotted on 17 meters CW, got them on the fifth call.  Decided to go for broke and jumped to 20 SSB.  Got them 5 minutes later. 

Went in the bedroom where the wife was already asleep, and as usual after a nice DX snag I gave her a huge hug and kiss and thanked her for supporting my hobby/obsession.  "What the hell is wrong with you?  I was fast asleep" she exclaimed.  All I said was "DX!"  "Please.  Save your gloating for the morning," she sighed. 

Then I did the "DX dance" of the fortunate/deserving, thought of my Elmer W4ZM (SK), went outside and laid down two more radials on my 160 meter inverted L in the dark damp night as a sacrifice to the DX gods, and then went to bed.  (Good thing the neighbors did not call the police).

Talk about last-minute for me!  That was my last chance before leaving town.  I was exhausted Monday, but it was worth it!
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »

In my case.....I think the odds of me working ZL9HR was around 1 to 10 percent. I'm strictly a 5 watt Qrp alternate energy green station. Even tho I have fairly decent home-brewed antennas; the band conditions here in Grid FN-22 -rural Upstate NY were not very good at all-- mostly just plain terrible . When I did hear them the pile-ups were so NASTY and AWFUL it was like trying to communicate with a whisper inside tornado. Finally, I got extremely lucky about  an hour before dawn on 30 meters...I GOT THRU TO THEM AND I'M IN THE LOG!! Yep!! I was very lucky and so happy to make contact with ZL9HR.

Best regards and many 72/73.
Don sr. --WA2TPU -- A TRUE 5 WATT QRP GREEN STATION.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »

In my case.....I think the odds of me working ZL9HR was around 1 to 10 percent. I'm strictly a 5 watt Qrp alternate energy green station. Even tho I have fairly decent home-brewed antennas; the band conditions here in Grid FN-22 -rural Upstate NY were not very good at all-- mostly just plain terrible . When I did hear them the pile-ups were so NASTY and AWFUL it was like trying to communicate with a whisper inside tornado. Finally, I got extremely lucky about  an hour before dawn on 30 meters...I GOT THRU TO THEM AND I'M IN THE LOG!! Yep!! I was very lucky and so happy to make contact with ZL9HR.

Congrats Don!!!!

I think I have the dubious distinction of the only one around this forum that didn't work ZL9HR  Embarrassed. Not because of jammers, not because of greedy DXers, not because of the DX clusters, not because of pile ups (to the contrary I had them to myself several times on different bands, days, times), not because of bad ops on the expedition. In fact the path from my QTH is really quite reliable. I was actually more concerned with working PT0S than this one. I was as close as NU4I (twice), but due to the heavy QSB the op on the other end was unable to get the correct call or a report. Maybe just crap conditions.

Such is the life of a QRPer - really high highs, and really low lows. I was flying high this year with HK0NA, 7O6T, E40VB, and PT0S - then the balloon popped and BAM! Lets see, the next Dxpedition to ZL9 should be around 2025.  Cry

On to next one!  Smiley
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »

Congrats Don!!!!

I think I have the dubious distinction of the only one around this forum that didn't work ZL9HR  Embarrassed. Not because of jammers, not because of greedy DXers, not because of the DX clusters, not because of pile ups (to the contrary I had them to myself several times on different bands, days, times), not because of bad ops on the expedition. In fact the path from my QTH is really quite reliable. I was actually more concerned with working PT0S than this one. I was as close as NU4I (twice), but due to the heavy QSB the op on the other end was unable to get the correct call or a report. Maybe just crap conditions.

Such is the life of a QRPer - really high highs, and really low lows. I was flying high this year with HK0NA, 7O6T, E40VB, and PT0S - then the balloon popped and BAM! Lets see, the next Dxpedition to ZL9 should be around 2025.  Cry

On to next one!  Smiley

If you haven't asked the QSL manager, David to check for your busted call - please do.

73 es GL,

Rich
KY6R
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »

Congrats Don!!!!

On to next one!  Smiley

If you haven't asked the QSL manager, David to check for your busted call - please do.

73 es GL,

Rich
KY6R

Good thought Rich, unfortunately the op sent "NIL" quite clearly (both times). Somethings were never meant to be. For whatever reason, for me, a QSO with ZL9HR was never meant to be. Many times wrong place, wrong time. Up early the wrong days - slept late the wrong days. I have worked every place around there, easily. Even at the low spot in the solar cycle. Heck last year I worked ZL running 700 milliwatts and a windom antenna. Are you kidding me? Its just not that far from the South Island. I honestly had no doubt I would work this place - and that may have been my biggest mistake.

Am I bitter? Hell Yes!   Grin Grin Just kidding. I need to be better prepared in the antenna department. This solar cycle is definitely different. Not only crappy, but lately odd. Although I must say I found AA6YQ's prop program quite accurate forecasting my ZL9 openings. In any case  - antennas, antennas, antennas!

And also congrats to you and the whole ZL9 team for an outstanding Dxpedition and giving me many multiple opportunities to work a new one!
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »

Are you kidding me? Its just not that far from the South Island. I honestly had no doubt I would work this place - and that may have been my biggest mistake.

That's why I only put my odds at 51% and I'm running a Yagi at 55 feet and 1500 Watts.  I've been in the hobby too long and I've seen too many strange things. With your QRP station I would've put your odds at maybe 10% to 20% but with a huge standard deviation.

On Monday morning (14:09 UTC) I worked XV1X long path on 10 meters and he was 599. Either he  himself or somebody in Europe spotted him today stating he was calling North America.  Conditions were actually a little better than Monday if one goes strictly by the numbers but there was no opening this morning to XV1X and very few stations on although many beacons could be heard. That's typical of 10 meters. In a week or so Europe will be back - for awhile.

Somebody said it well:  throw out those propagation charts and listen, listen, listen. The propagation predictions are based on probability and if you want to work something different it will typically be an aberration and will not show up in those propagation charts.

I have a lot of QSOs at the end of the year but many come from contests in a relatively short time. However, on an average day I do far more listening than transmitting.  Actually, although I had the rig on yesterday and today, I didn't make one contact because nothing interesting was on while I was listening. I'm talking solely about 10 meters because that's where I'm concentrating most of my time as I want to work as many countries as I can on 10 before we lose the band to DX when the cycle starts heading down.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:55:14 PM by NU1O » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: