Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: resonant vertical versus plain vertical with base located tuner  (Read 964 times)
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »

I have a a 6 BTV 24 foot vertical that I have not installed yet. I was wondering if a 24 foot vertical with a base located tuner will be a better antenna. I don't have antenna software so I can't do this myself. Assume the same radials. I live near Phoenix AZ so the soil is sandy

Thanks
Steve
KF7ZFC
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 01:04:21 PM »

I'd go with the 6-BTV -p especially since you already have it.  Later on you can use it with an autotuner at the base to cover 12 and 17 meters if you want to.  I think it may actually be a bit more efficient on 80 meters than a 24 foot vertical with a base mounted autotuner. 
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »

I have a a 6 BTV 24 foot vertical that I have not installed yet. I was wondering if a 24 foot vertical with a base located tuner will be a better antenna. I don't have antenna software so I can't do this myself. Assume the same radials. I live near Phoenix AZ so the soil is sandy. Thanks Steve KF7ZFC

Steve,
I second N4UM's recommendation.
80M operation with a 24' vertical even with a good radial field will be marginal.  Additionally, given your QTH's soil condx (especially in the farfield), don't expect tons of DX to come rolling in.  This antenna will work nicely on 10M thru 40M - you should be able to work the JAs on 40M around your sunrise.
GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »

I used wire and a rope hoist over a tree vertically oriented. 66ft, 44ft, or 22ft quickchange lengths with the remote auto tuner at the feed point the 66ft wire really impressive for the 80m DX and allot of everything else a quarter wave does.
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:17:12 AM »

Thanks

Steve
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:10:46 PM »

I also recommend the 6btv vertical, but with an extensive radial field.
Have you tried to read the soil conductivity? When I was living in Phoenix
back in 76-77, I didn't have any conductivity when the soil was dry...

My 4btv has an 80M resonator and it works very well
over my 125 30 foot radials.

When it comes to radials, the more you have, the better
the vertical works!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: