Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kenwood 520  (Read 5968 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 06:35:55 AM »

5UP

The TS520 uses the same IF as the HW100/101.......With that sort of relationship to your favourite manufacturer, are you relegating consideration of the 520 to the landfill?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »

...I was thinking more along the concept that if it's good enough for Heathshkit, it's good enough for N4NYY.

Vinnie's soldering iron is considered a WMD.   [ Will Melt Da'radio ]

Never change a password on a Friday                
KC9VZB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »

Thanks for all your help.new clue: when trying to transmit power dropped off quickly.replaced driver with no change,although tubes tested fine but allot of difference ,a new pair has every thing working.I put together a dummy load and used for neutralization.I dont trust my antique vtvm so I used a fluke set on milli volts.hope thats close enough,I adjusted cap for a lowest readin.g of 2.4 across dummy.now to learn to tune this thing. from all my reading it sounds like a antenna analyzer would help getting wire lengths right. I'm leaning t words fan dipole.I bought a piece of ladder line 20 ft long reading up on it says it should be at least 30 ft. I got the heavy coax,and I,m reluctant to cut it,in case my wife lets me put tower up. might have to give her new kitchen first.Should be on the air tonight.

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 12:39:14 PM »

I'm new at tuning,crippled by dyslexia
You're only as "crippled" by Dyslexia as you want to be.

My niece was diagnosed with quite severe Dyslexia
at an early age. The school system intervened and
offered treatment. BUT the biggest help was her
willingness to beat it.
This included staying up
late with her homework and, from Elementary school
through University, getting up at 4 or 5 AM to re-review
(or re-re-review) that day's class material.

Oh yeah, she graduated with honors, went on to
to get her J.D. at Georgetown, and made The
Harvard Law Review. She passed both the
California and New York Bar Exams on her first tries.
(The two most difficult Bar Exams in the country.)
She served an Internship for the United States Supreme
Court and now works for a prestigious NY City law firm.

Her Dyslexia is not cured, but is a handicap she must
deal with on a daily basis, which she does at a very
high level of functioning.

You're only a "cripple" if you see yourself as one.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:43:55 PM by AD6KA » Logged
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 06:24:12 AM »

Why don't you try a simple dipole for 40 meters? You should use the formula:

468 / <freq in mhz>

to come up with the initial/starting length of the dipole. For example, take 7.150Mhz (center of the 40 meter band). What is the initial length, end to end, of
the dipole? It's 64.45 feet

468 / 7.150 = 64.45

The ends will have to be trimmed to achieve the lowest SWR. This can be done by simply folding each end back onto itself a little at a time and with the same
amount until the SWR is the lowest. Check the SWR each time you make a change in the dipole's length until the SWR is the lowest you can get it. The antenna
should be as high as you can get it but in the event you do not have the space, try an inverted vee which is a dipole but with the ends lower than the center.

You can purchase all the parts to build the antenna, less coax cable, at your local hardware store for less than $10. Small piece of plexiglass can be used for
the center and end insulators. You can feed the dipole and/or inverted vee with RG-8x coax. You don't need a balun so don't waste your money on one.

If you're not into building, for what ever reason, then you can purchase ready made, easy to install/put up in a tree, dipole that can be used as a dipole
or an inverted vee. Naturally the cost will be more than if you made the antenna plus you lose the experience and fun of making the antenna "yourself".

73s
Mike
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: