Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ca 1910 Spark Recording in American Morse  (Read 1208 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »

How many recordings of real spark radio exist?  This on-air cyclinder recording may have been made on July 4, 1910 when (Joe?) Jim Jeffries fought a championship boxing match with Jack Johnson.

"Here is the best translation to date (September 2006) – Many thanks to all who have contributed.   The bulk was provided by Lake "Ed" Trump "AL7N" of Fairbanks, Alaska with portions provided and confirmed by several others:   

. JOE JEFFRIES OWES JACK JOHNSON A GOOD DEAL OF MONEY. THAT IS HE HAS MADE A FORTUNE THROUGH HIS RELATIONS WITH THE COLORED CHAMPION. IN FACT THE CALIFORNIAN HAS CLEANED UP $62218.28 SINCE NOV 17 ALL BECAUSE THE NEGRO FIGHTER INSISTED THAT THE RETIRED CHAMPION AGREE TO MEET HIM IN A FISTIC CONTEST. 1 235 46789 342156.'

Hear it:
http://www.tinfoil.com/cm-0406.htm#morse-code
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »

Anyone else want to try to decipher that American Morse code? I'm just not getting chunks of it.

It begins with a period and the letter J (_._. in AMC) and then disintegrates at times except for portions that are copyable when AMC and International Morse are the same. For example: "That is he has made..."

Perhaps it's a non-standard code variation. Those existed. I'd defer to AL7N's translation.  His bio says he worked as a landline railroad telegrapher.

Why does his translation refer to "Joe Jeffries" when the famous boxer's name was Jim Jeffries?  

BTW, you can see the famous 1910 "Great White Hope" championship fight on YT.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnq-orAvo8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: