Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some statisitics from VU7M expedition  (Read 4714 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »

Hi All,

Arasu, VU2UR, recently sent me district-by-district breakdowns for stations worked in the USA by the VU7M expedition.  I thought this may be of interest to our group and was given permission to post the stats here in the forum. The stats are obviously only as good as the number of stations who were actually located within the call district of their call. I was under the impression VU7M had used a dipole and about 80 Watts for all contacts but Arasu mentions a second team who used a hexbeam.  It does not appear the stats of the team using the hexbeam are included.  The breakdowns are as follows:
-------------------------------------------------
VU7M- STATE-SIDE QSO  STATISTICS
THE ACTUAL QTH IS ASSUMED to be as given in the call sign. Not verified.

1ST CALL AREA: 42

2ND CALL AREA: 47

3RD CALL AREA: 51

4TH CALL AREA: 61

5TH CALL AREA: 15

6TH CALL AREA: 09

7TH CALL AREA: 12

8TH CALL AREA: 15

9TH CALL AREA: 15

0TH CALL AREA: 08

KL7 AREA:          02

KP4 AREA:         03

KH6 AREA:          03
--------------------------------------------------
QSOs WITH SAME STN, MORE THAN ONCE NOT COUNTED.
THIS INCLUDES 66 QSOs MADE USING HEX BEAM BY SECOND GROUP.
KH2,KH0 NOT ACCOUNTED.

-----------------------------------------------------

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:14:20 PM by NU1O » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »

Thanks.  I can't believe so few people made contacts with them.  Unfortunately I'm part of the 100,000 that didn't make a Q and part of the 100,000,000,000 that didn't win the Powerball.

Jonathan W6GX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »

Guess I should have bought a Power Ball ticket. I was one of the 47 (17m SSB on 21 August).

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:15:14 AM »

I thought the VU7LD DX-pedition was superb:

http://www.vu7ld.info/

I love the "Chicken Neck" and "Happy Land" titles on the huts that they operated from. . .

Look - there's a picture of Krish!

At first, I was frustrated because I couldn't even hear them. Then they fired up (what I think I remember) as a PVS-40 two element vertical array right on the beach - that had end fire and broad side patterns, and VOILA!

In the log on 40 CW and SSB. Both were during the night time grey line, and both were easy. It was downright "surreal".

VU7 was - and still is - rare on the West Coast.

VU4 is not so rare any more - all of the activations in the last 10 years - (2 that I can remember) were pretty easy from the West Coast.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:14:08 AM »

>>I love the "Chicken Neck" and "Happy Land" titles on the huts that they operated from

Rich, those locations used to be some sort of a restaurant that was torn down. We just beefed up
the remnants to setup a shack. The road is enroute to the helipad on the island, so i guess the locals
had tried to capitalize on a restaurant, but was a failed venture i suppose. The locations are so good that
there were no "modern RFI causing sources" near by and with water on either side.
A straight shot in all directions.

The conditions then were not so good. We need big activations to satisfy demand.

VU7M did a good job with their dipole and 80w. If only had they operated split at a higher offset,
we could have logged them. The key clickers buried their weak cw signals for us, esp the 500khz
filter in the ft-990 was no match. Forget If shift/notch. tried every one of them. The big stations
are the ones in their logs.

The PVS-40/30/80 was used by AA4NN in the VU7RG expedition. That was a much bigger operation with
a lot of firepower.

Krish
w4vku
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 05:22:28 AM »

>>I love the "Chicken Neck" and "Happy Land" titles on the huts that they operated from

Rich, those locations used to be some sort of a restaurant that was torn down. We just beefed up
the remnants to setup a shack. The road is enroute to the helipad on the island, so i guess the locals
had tried to capitalize on a restaurant, but was a failed venture i suppose. The locations are so good that
there were no "modern RFI causing sources" near by and with water on either side.
A straight shot in all directions.

The conditions then were not so good. We need big activations to satisfy demand.

VU7M did a good job with their dipole and 80w. If only had they operated split at a higher offset,
we could have logged them. The key clickers buried their weak cw signals for us, esp the 500khz
filter in the ft-990 was no match. Forget If shift/notch. tried every one of them. The big stations
are the ones in their logs.

The PVS-40/30/80 was used by AA4NN in the VU7RG expedition. That was a much bigger operation with
a lot of firepower.

Krish
w4vku

AH - thats right - the VU7RG dxpedition is the one that I worked. VU7 has always been of interest to me - because of how far away it is - and how rare it was until you and others started activating it in the past several years. (Thanks!).

VU7RG is one of my favorite all time activations anywhere. One of the most memorable for sure. I remembered how much I worried about working VU7, and then how easy it ended up being. I used a 3 element Bruce Array at my end. Wire arrays on 40M are the bomb.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:44:55 AM by KY6R » Logged
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »

Thanks.  I can't believe so few people made contacts with them.  Unfortunately I'm part of the 100,000 that didn't make a Q and part of the 100,000,000,000 that didn't win the Powerball.

I made it but I have a lot of aluminum in the sky but i
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »

Thanks.  I can't believe so few people made contacts with them.  Unfortunately I'm part of the 100,000 that didn't make a Q and part of the 100,000,000,000 that didn't win the Powerball.

I think I made it but I have a lot of aluminum in the sky.  They were down in the noise and not easy to hear.

Mark N1UK

sorry about the half finished double post..fat fingers hitting strange key combinations

and yes next time I will use the modify function..I just spotted it
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 07:43:27 AM »

Guess I should have bought a Power Ball ticket. I was one of the 47 (17m SSB on 21 August).

I did, and I didn't win zip.

But I still have a QSO with VU7M.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:48:54 AM »

Chris, thanks for doing such a great job as a moderator with the VU7M dxpedition.  Also, thank the VU7M team for operating such a great dxpedition. 
Randy AJ4RW
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »

With only 12 contacts to the 7th call area I can see why I wasn't one of them. In talking with some of the big guns around here with lots of aluminum they didn't hear a peep out of that operation. So I'm hoping that a bigger operation will happen in the near future that will give us some better odds Smiley

John K7KB
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »

Chris, thanks for doing such a great job as a moderator with the VU7M dxpedition.  Also, thank the VU7M team for operating such a great dxpedition. 
Randy AJ4RW

I'm very happy to relay the messages, Randy.  Arasu, VU2UR, reads the forum and sometimes reads the messages faster than I do, so I'm sure he received your message of thanks. I was a lucky 1 of 42 in the 1st call district and I thank all of them as well.  I was very happy to let you know you were in their log.

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 11:33:57 PM »

I thought the VU7LD DX-pedition was superb:

http://www.vu7ld.info/

A thirty day long dxpedition Shocked  I would also give my vote to any dxpeditions that are thirty days long Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »

Arasu just passed along the breakdowns for the station using the Hexbeam. They are not included with the first batch I listed.  I have been informed the power used by the main station was more like 30 to 40 Watts and not the 80 Watts I cited.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The break up for the Hex Beam SSB QSOs (no CW QSOs) to USA from VU7M:

20mb: Call area 3: 1
          call area 7: 1

17mb: call area 1:13
          call area 2:17
          call area 3:14
          call area 4:11
          call area 5: 5
          call area 6: 0
          call area 7: 0
          call area 8: 3
          call area 9: 1
          call area 0: 0
-----------------------
                         66 QSOs

Chris/NU1O
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 06:21:55 PM »

I still cannot believe I got so lucky and worked them with a very small pileup on 20 CW.  I never even heard VU7 or VU4 before.  I guess I need to make another sacrifice to the DX gods and lay down some more radials on my verticals to demonstrate my gratitude.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: