Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for the Old Timers about Golan Heights  (Read 1166 times)
N6TA

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »

So I am going through old cards and find one from VE3BWK/4X from Dec. 1978.  Dale was operating from a blown up Syrian military base in Israel occupied territory that was at the time YK.  Not until a few years later did Israel annex this piece of land.  Dale also signed his call /4U, the first such case of the use of /4U (according to Dale).  That call was apparently accepted as valid for a YK QSO due to some help from MaryAnn, his manager, WA3HUP.

So, anyone have either of the VE3BKW/4X or /4U cards and get it accepted as YK?  I'd love to know since I do not have YK yet.   Before you ask, I have not contacted the DXCC desk yet.  I thought I'd ask around first.
Tnx,
Al
N6TA
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »

So, anyone have either of the VE3BKW/4X or /4U cards and get it accepted as YK?  I'd love to know since I do not have YK yet.

Congrats--You do now! One of our club members had a card from them and asked me this exact question this last week. I didn't know the answer either. He then asked Bill Moore and the good news is that it is indeed valid for Syria, and is good for DXCC. he CC'd me Bill's response.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 01:29:56 PM »

Congrats Al! Although I don't have the exact card you have, I have one from VE2PAB/4U that counted as Syria as part of the UN forces participating in the area around 1986. I haven't heard a YK station on since then but hopefully the political changes will topple the al-Assad government and we will hear them active once again.

John K7KB
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »

I found this on the net that shows the VE3BWK/4U QSL card with other info about Dale's operation:

http://www.reboot.bc.ca/golan.htm

John K7KB

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 03:31:16 PM by K7KB » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »

Congrats Al! Although I don't have the exact card you have, I have one from VE2PAB/4U that counted as Syria as part of the UN forces participating in the area around 1986. I haven't heard a YK station on since then but hopefully the political changes will topple the al-Assad government and we will hear them active once again.

John K7KB

There was a DXpedition to Syria in November of 2007. Callsign was YK9SV and they were active a couple weeks. (My one and only YK  Cheesy )

73, Gene AF3Y
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »

I worked most of my YKs in 2007 with YK1BA, though my last one was with him in 2010. The most noteworthy was YK9SV in 2007 -- last call he took before going QRT. I still need them on 10, 12, 15, 160 and RTTY, but given that they just shut down the Internet and phone service in that country, I don't suspect we'll be seeing any YK activity for quite some time.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »

I also worked YK1BA in 2010. He was only on for about 10 days.
N6TA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »

Congrats--You do now! One of our club members had a card from them and asked me this exact question this last week. I didn't know the answer either. He then asked Bill Moore and the good news is that it is indeed valid for Syria, and is good for DXCC. he CC'd me Bill's response.

Well now, this is pretty darn good news!  I have never since heard a YK despite knowing of some of the mentioned operations in others' responses.  W6 is not famous for great propagation to this part of the world.

I guess I need to send it in with a note and expect another one off the 'need list'.  Leaves me needing 5A, FR/T, VU7 and SV/A.  They come few and far between but this was a good year for me: TT, 1A0.  Been a while since I got two in a year!
Thanks for the info.  Quite a surprise to hear that the same issue arose the within a week, huh?

Al
N6TA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »

I found this on the net that shows the VE3BWK/4U QSL card with other info about Dale's operation:

http://www.reboot.bc.ca/golan.htm

John K7KB

I did see this and is what prompted me to contact Dale.  I got the feeling that things were pretty loose in gaining permissions, etc. but he was there and worked DX.  He mentioned that others preceeded him and possibly others followed.  I never heard or saw much mentioned about these operations.  Just glad to have lucked into one.
Al
N6TA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:56:47 PM »

For those interested, I sent an image of my VE3BWK/4X clearly stating 'Golan Heights' and they have decided it is a counter for YK!  I do not know if the date of the QSO in 12/1978 was a consideration or not but I am pleased that I can send it in and expect to have one less to worry about.  SV/A, 5A, VU7 and FR/T are those I seek.  So Santa may have come early for me, 34 years late!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: