Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZL9HR-Campbell Is Dxped feedback forum  (Read 26731 times)
W4VKU

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »

A new thread to provide meaningful feedback, now that the team has set foot on the island.
Let the fun begin.
Krish
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 11:42:17 AM »

Thanks Krish. I will use this for all eHam NA Pilot feedback.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:05:16 PM »

So far so good  Grin  The ops are doing a fantastic job, sticking to each caller until the Q has been confirmed.  The op even takes time to say xxxx you are in the log.

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 01:57:23 AM »

VERY Loud here in Florida. I woke up at 0800z and listened and called (and listened and called Roll Eyes) until 0948z on the 30 meter band. Signals were as much as solid 20 over at times. (0957Z now and still going!)

I heard NO NA callsigns until 0948 from the GREAT op working 30m.
At 0948 he answered a VERY happy AF3Y!  Grin  Another ATNO!! (On 200 watts and a wire vertical!)

QRT for nite at 1011Z.

GL to all... I can relax now.
73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:21:44 AM by AF3Y » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:05:34 AM »

The good news is I heard them on 30M - very strong for all the hours they were on - calling EU Only. They also had a pretty good signal on 40M SSB - its possible that I have a Q there - but I certainly want some more certain Q's - that for sure -   There was a ton of noise on my 40M half square - sounded like "rain static" . . . We usually have much better (and quieter) 30 and 40M signals in our early morning to VK-ZL.

One of my buddies had the exact same experience that I did last night - and he is calling this DX-pedition "ZL9 - Honor Roll" because this DX-pedition will put him on the Honor Roll list. It will put me one away - so he and I are a "tag team" - hi hi. I also have a few other buddies down in trenches as well - seemed that I hear them a bit better than some others in the area - which is a first for me.

You can get a great idea of what they are hearing from the audio clip that Col posted here:

http://dx-world.net/

I'm surprised at how loud the Europeans were - compared to others. No wonder they were working as many EU's as possible. The East Coast, Central and Rocky states seemed to do well, and some West Coast stations got through on 40M SSB.

Stan, KH6CG worked them on several bands - and it seemed like Hawaii did very well last night.

Here's hoping they are as loud as the 20 over S9 QSO I had yesterday for a half an hour with a ZL3 . . . . I do have a very positive feeling about this.

Good luck to all - the operators on this are very, very good - and know how to run a pileup.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:15:32 AM by KY6R » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 07:50:16 AM »

VERY Loud here in Florida. I woke up at 0800z and listened and called (and listened and called Roll Eyes) until 0948z on the 30 meter band. Signals were as much as solid 20 over at times. (0957Z now and still going!)

I heard NO NA callsigns until 0948 from the GREAT op working 30m.
At 0948 he answered a VERY happy AF3Y!  Grin  Another ATNO!! (On 200 watts and a wire vertical!)

QRT for nite at 1011Z.

GL to all... I can relax now.
73, Gene AF3Y

I just did a search on DX Summit to see if/where they have been spotted and I saw your 30 meter QSO.  Congratulations, Gene.  It must feel good to have them in the log so early into the trip.

I have read this is a shortened trip.  Just what is their last day so I can make note of that?

Chris/NU1O

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 08:03:37 AM »

Thanks Chris, yes it DOES Smiley .

Per their website (http://www.campbell2012.com/) it's December 9th.  I wondered if they would try for a couple days extra since they were delayed by wx, but I think its still Dec. 9th.

I am sure KY6R can confirm this.........

73, Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »

Thanks Chris, yes it DOES Smiley .

Per their website (http://www.campbell2012.com/) it's December 9th.  I wondered if they would try for a couple days extra since they were delayed by wx, but I think its still Dec. 9th.

I am sure KY6R can confirm this.........

73, Gene AF3Y

They will not extend their stay . . . December 9th is their last day
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »

Heard today on 15M CW, slowly working NA or else there so much QSB I only heard some of the contacts. I got them fairly quickly, I think he heard me before I could hear him coming back to me, but it was definite and so I'm pleased to work the ATNO. log. For this expedition, if you can get one QSO it will be major, methinks the demand is going to be extreme.  Every expedition has a goal, here I would guess it should be to try to give everyone a Q, since almost everyone needs it.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »

I think I have a 10 meter QSO but when they gave my call they dipped under my noise level.  I will have to wait for the online log to go up.  What a time for the SFI to head south to 100!

I imagine they will try to work us short path on 20 meters during our evenings right until they shut down, but I just heard a ZL station at 59 via long path on 20 meters.

Rich, depending upon how things go during our night and early morning, I find the 20 meter long path opening in my later afternoon to VK/ZL to be a very reliable opening with strong signals. They may not need to work us at that time and heading but if conditions are lousy at the other times it's a very good backup time.

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »

I think I have a 10 meter QSO but when they gave my call they dipped under my noise level.  I will have to wait for the online log to go up.  What a time for the SFI to head south to 100!

I imagine they will try to work us short path on 20 meters during our evenings right until they shut down, but I just heard a ZL station at 59 via long path on 20 meters.

Rich, depending upon how things go during our night and early morning, I find the 20 meter long path opening in my later afternoon to VK/ZL to be a very reliable opening with strong signals. They may not need to work us at that time and heading but if conditions are lousy at the other times it's a very good backup time.

Chris/NU1O

Funny thing - the East Coast and EU is having a much better success rate than the West Coast. Bizarre . . . .

I am hearing the VK's and ZL's calling them at S9 +20 - so something is not right at all at ZL9HR. from my personal experience it has to be a hill in the way. I ended up using HFTA a year ago to figure out what my issue was with terrain - and now have worked around that - but here is the funny thing - some heavier hitters than I in the SF Bay Area can't hear them even as well as I am.

Something isn't right at their end - I am sure of that . . . maybe they have extremely high summertime noise? Hills in the way? Dunno . . . . .
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:29:02 PM by KY6R » Logged
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »

Nothing heard here in Western PA, but
I am not blessed with a scrap-yard full of aluminum
in the air.

Still listening though and I don't
intend to quit until they tear down and head home.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 01:02:08 PM »

The IDIOTS are rearing their UGLY HEADS !

ZL9 is spotted on 14.195 and it seems like 1/2 the world
is calling them SIMPLEX.
What a bunch of FOOLS !!!

I'll wait until the middle of the night.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »

is calling them SIMPLEX.

Problem is 7P8D is on 14.185 listening up 5-15. Great day to just sit back and listen to frustrated cops. Smiley
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »

is calling them SIMPLEX.

Problem is 7P8D is on 14.185 listening up 5-15. Great day to just sit back and listen to frustrated cops. Smiley

Of course, there is more to ham radio than 20M . . . a lot more . . .
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: