Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZL9HR-Campbell Is Dxped feedback forum  (Read 30047 times)
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 09:23:04 PM »

Was able to work them on 20m this morning using my makeshift hunged par end fed at 200w.  Somehow when I xmited my tuner was spinning so I missed my prefix on the return and caught my suffix.  They were loud to Honolulu  Smiley

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 12:03:34 AM »

He has been absolutely booming into Massachusetts and what seems like half the world for at least the past 2 hours on 14.200.  They were working mostly Eastern and Central Russia with some US stations scattered in but as the sun has moved westward they are starting to work stations from Western Europe. Surprisingly, not that many North Americans given the very strong signals.

Normally at this time of night 20 meters is full of stations from the Pacific but I am not hearing any VK stations at all. As a matter of fact all I'm hearing is a few stations from New Zealand, one of whom I had a QSO with after I worked ZL9HR. I went into the 19 meter short wave broadcast band to see what I could hear and Radio Australia which is normally 20 to 30 dB over S9 is only about S7. I have not been on 20 meters at this time for a few months now so I don't know if this is winter propagation at work, lower sunspot activity, or a combination of both.  Normally, the Pacific stations virtually drop out around 0800 UTC only to peak back up at my local sunrise, but the VOACAP propagation charts show the path between ZL9HR and myself staying open until they leave the island at 1000 UTC. 

The first online QSOs have been posted and they did manage to hear my call on 10 meters when they were at, and beneath, my noise level and I was not sure I had a valid QSO. They have very good ears! They also have my 15 meter CW QSO listed but that was very clear. It's too early for the 20 meter phone contact which was at 0604 UTC.

If you have not worked them yet all I can say is it would be very hard to assemble another team as skillful as they guys.  They are literally pulling calls out of the noise and they are staying with the calls until they are in the log. I worked an American OP and when a station refused to QRX despite several polite pleadings he threatened to shutoff the radio! I think everybody got the message after that.

ZL9HR also has a station transmitting on 20 meter CW but the beam must be pointed to Japan as that's primarily who they are working and that station is much weaker than the 20 meter phone station.

Good luck everybody!

Chris/NU1O

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »

He has been absolutely booming into Massachusetts and what seems like half the world for at least the past 2 hours on 14.200.  They were working mostly Eastern and Central Russia with some US stations scattered in but as the sun has moved westward they are starting to work stations from Western Europe. Surprisingly, not that many North Americans given the very strong signals.

Normally at this time of night 20 meters is full of stations from the Pacific but I am not hearing any VK stations at all. As a matter of fact all I'm hearing is a few stations from New Zealand, one of whom I had a QSO with after I worked ZL9HR. I went into the 19 meter short wave broadcast band to see what I could hear and Radio Australia which is normally 20 to 30 dB over S9 is only about S7. I have not been on 20 meters at this time for a few months now so I don't know if this is winter propagation at work, lower sunspot activity, or a combination of both.  Normally, the Pacific stations virtually drop out around 0800 UTC only to peak back up at my local sunrise, but the VOACAP propagation charts show the path between ZL9HR and myself staying open until they leave the island at 1000 UTC. 

The first online QSOs have been posted and they did manage to hear my call on 10 meters when they were at, and beneath, my noise level and I was not sure I had a valid QSO. They have very good ears! They also have my 15 meter CW QSO listed but that was very clear. It's too early for the 20 meter phone contact which was at 0604 UTC.

If you have not worked them yet all I can say is it would be very hard to assemble another team as skillful as they guys.  They are literally pulling calls out of the noise and they are staying with the calls until they are in the log. I worked an American OP and when a station refused to QRX despite several polite pleadings he threatened to shutoff the radio! I think everybody got the message after that.

ZL9HR also has a station transmitting on 20 meter CW but the beam must be pointed to Japan as that's primarily who they are working and that station is much weaker than the 20 meter phone station.

Good luck everybody!

Chris/NU1O

I did try on 20m tonight but their signal to Denver thus far has been dismal!  People from MA to FL have been reporting S9 signals on 20m.  Very few people in the Rockies and CA could actually hear them.  How strange is the propagation.  At 0000Z today which is the 'predicted' peak propagation to Denver their signals on 20m and 17m were right above the noise.  Another weird phenomenon is that I couldn't hear the pile ups.  Lastly, there was not a single station heard other than ZL9HR on 20m and 17m tonight.

So far the loudest I've heard them was 40m SSB on the first day.

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 05:06:31 AM »

Weak as Mouse Milk here. I need a Pilot to help me.

Hey WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 05:43:46 AM »

Jonathan (Denver), I'm in Westcliffe, CO.  You say your best prop is supposed to be 0000Z.  With my Hamcap I show 20M zero prop at 0000 UTC, best is 0700-0900 and 1300-1400.  Listened last night at 0700 UTC, absolutely zip.  Wonder why?  JOhn
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 05:56:39 AM »

I am VERY glad that I got my 30m QSO in their log on Saturday morning.  Everything I am hearing, last nite and today is weak, on all bands EXCEPT 30m.....  Roll Eyes
Workable, but very weak.  Really nice, not to have to fight weak signals, a bit of noise and a QRMer or two.

FYI, 15 meters has REALLY sucked, so far.  Spots around me, but NOTHING better than ESP here on 15. Angry

If they get stronger, I may try again later, but one QSO is sufficient for me! Grin

73, Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 05:59:29 AM »

I am VERY glad that I got my 30m QSO in their log on Saturday morning.  Everything I am hearing, last nite and today is weak, on all bands EXCEPT 30m.....  Roll Eyes
Workable, but very weak.  Really nice, not to have to fight weak signals, a bit of noise and a QRMer or two.

FYI, 15 meters has REALLY sucked, so far.  Spots around me, but NOTHING better than ESP here on 15. Angry

If they get stronger, I may try again later, but one QSO is sufficient for me! Grin

73, Gene AF3Y

Gene,

Tell the team to work ME  Grin
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 06:28:37 AM »

Gene,

Tell the team to work ME  Grin

Well, I guess I COULD take down the S-9 wire vertical, collapse the fibreglas sections, put it in it's traveling tube and FedeX it out to you.  Grin Grin
(Sorry, I could not resist that dig.  Cool )

GL/73, Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 06:36:01 AM »

Gene,

Tell the team to work ME  Grin

Well, I guess I COULD take down the S-9 wire vertical, collapse the fibreglas sections, put it in it's traveling tube and FedeX it out to you.  Grin Grin
(Sorry, I could not resist that dig.  Cool )

GL/73, Gene AF3Y

Grin
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »

This AM around 0800z, the  30m op was reasonably strong, but mostly EU and JAs. Was hard to break the pile.
Kept trying for over an hour.
Later when the sun did its thing and the EU was gone, we were able to log him. He was fairly strong here in NC.

The 20m cw was a bit weak. We had to use the pre-amp. My 20m ssb Qso from yesterday was not in the log. Darn it.
So i worked em again today. The pile was 20kcs wide. On SSB, why do people call, when he calls someone? I don't
get it. They call with unrelated calls. if it was cw and they went out of Sync, i can understand. But on SSB ?

The 40m cw signal was ok on yagi without the pre-amp. LPL had just spotted them and we were able to work
before the pile up grew in size.

All in all, not bad signals so far. But definitely yesterday, the 12m signal was weak here. If they can be consistent
on band and time, we can plan and wake up for it Smiley

Krish
KF5ER

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 07:50:12 AM »

Loud in La. this morning, managed to get a 20m contact at 1518Z
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 08:04:18 AM »

I heard your QSO Krish, I was at least happy for YOU.

I got up at 3am (0800Z), played for 15 minutes while her worked ONLY JA/Eu, so I went to sleep for 2 more hours. Then at about 4:30 got on again, on 30 they were loud. But now there was a new op. And he did not know how to operate the dual VFOs; he was changing HIS transmit frequency, saying he was listening UP, and then working simplex! It was very frustrating chasing him up/down 30 meters. Minutes after LPL spot went up, the pile on 40 was huge (but signals were good). And they were also pretty loud on 30 by then, but no joy for me.

All was pretty good after 1000Z, but last night was a special exception. If they do not make an effort to work East coast between 0800Z and 1000Z I think I am screwed. Actually, I am probably screwed anyway; I have to work and waking at 3am is not conducive to thinking clearly during the day.  Oh well.

paul
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »

You are so right. I worked them yesterday on 10m. They were weak, but that was good as it meant there was little competition. I've got one in the log so my willingness to fight the masses has gone way down. After all, this is supposed to be fun. No additional contact can match that fleeting ATNO high.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, 08:17:26 AM »

The most amazing propagation "switch" I have ever seen. In the first 24 hours - conditions on the West Coast were so awful - and so exactly the opposite from the VOACAP predictions.

Then today, like a switch - I am hearing and working them easily.

Just bagged #330 (that count), #334 all time, making me only 1 away from Honor Roll.

The mystery is that other ZL's and VK's were very strong during the first 24 hours of this DX-ped.

Maybe they changed some antennas? Maybe changed location?

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »

Jonathan (Denver), I'm in Westcliffe, CO.  You say your best prop is supposed to be 0000Z.  With my Hamcap I show 20M zero prop at 0000 UTC, best is 0700-0900 and 1300-1400.  Listened last night at 0700 UTC, absolutely zip.  Wonder why?  JOhn

Ok.  I realized my mistake.  I'm still a newbie at DX'ing  Cheesy

They were indeed loud on 20m this morning just as the prop. chart predicted  Grin

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: