Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZL9HR-Campbell Is Dxped feedback forum  (Read 27848 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2012, 04:20:53 AM »

Rich,
 The 80m cw op today left (shortly after 9:45z) when the conditions got a lot better up here on the East Coast. The
 stations in FL were able to work him a good 30 minutes earlier. When he was very copyable, he left. I wish they stay a bit
 longer till East Coast sunrise. The sun rises in FL about 20 minutes ahead of here in NC.

73s
krish

I will let them know about the 80M need. I think they wanted to work as much 160 as they could tonight - but I will see if we might get an updated plan since now they seem to be able to stay on island at night - more than just that second night.

Also - that rumor that 4 ops were injured was just a rumor. Everyone is OK.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2012, 05:08:48 AM »

Thanks Rich,
 Glad that they are doing fine. Now that they are able to stay on the island thru the night, 80m/160m along grayline would
 be nice.
 I guess a lot of folks are seeing some Qso's missing within the time stamp for the last Qso. A new log update will help avoid
 anxiety and dupes.

73s
krish
K5JZ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2012, 05:15:52 AM »

Rich,
 The 80m cw op today left (shortly after 9:45z) when the conditions got a lot better up here on the East Coast. The
 stations in FL were able to work him a good 30 minutes earlier. When he was very copyable, he left. I wish they stay a bit
 longer till East Coast sunrise. The sun rises in FL about 20 minutes ahead of here in NC.

73s
krish

I will let them know about the 80M need. I think they wanted to work as much 160 as they could tonight - but I will see if we might get an updated plan since now they seem to be able to stay on island at night - more than just that second night.

Also - that rumor that 4 ops were injured was just a rumor. Everyone is OK.

We all must pray that everyone is ok. That was horrible news about possible injuries. I was fortunate to work them on 160 meters this morning at 1149z. He had busted my call before as K5JG but this time he got it 100%. I am still doing my Snoopy Dance! Now if I could work them on 6 meters, I could retire the ZL9 from my needs list. I went into this DXPedition thinking that I would not get them on either 160 or 6, which is all that I need ZL9 on... and what an early Christmas present from the ZL9 gang. THANKS to everyone that had a hand in this operation. I will make a donation from work this morning. Outstanding operators that hang on to a callsign until the Q is made... just like a snapping turtle! One really can't ask for more than that!

George K5JZ
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »

This one is beginning to shape up like Conway Reef, and Christmas
Island did for me...never heard any of them.

Still not a peep, and the outlook doesn't look too good
with the solar flux below 100.

c'est la vie !
NN4F

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »

c'est la vie !

Bill, I've been hearing them great on 20M down here in SC, around 5:00AM UTC... they were a solid s8 last night...

Paul - NN4F
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2012, 12:04:16 PM »

c'est la vie !

Don't give up just yet Bill. It looks like they had some antenna issues that have been resolved causing the weak signals and hopefully the SFI will start swinging back up before the end of the expedition. And sometimes propagation has a way of perking up when you least expect it. Good luck in the chase!

John K7KB
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »

Along the lines of what John said, they were loud this AM around 1300z on both 20m/17m cw.
Their 40m ssb signal was
pretty good on a dipole. I am sure the pile will thin out soon. You lose once you put that mic/key down. Never give up.
waking up early in the morning is the way to go before the lids come up and when the sun does its thing with
reducing the prop to EU.

Noise cancellers, pre-selectors, pre-amps and anything that will help hear that weak signal, is worth
a shot for an ATNO. We have a
Dxengg preamp that we use to loop the signal out from the rig and back into the Rx-in port and have been happy with the
results from this trusty old yaesu ft-990. The pre-amp makes a big difference on the weak signal.

Good luck
Krish
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:37:38 PM by W4VKU » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »

c'est la vie !

Such is not life, such is an antenna system!  If you had just stopped with XMAS Island I would not have paid attention, but 3D2C was very strong on many bands and ZL9HR was 59 on Saturday night on 20 meters until 2 AM when I changed bands and then shut off the rig.

What are you using for an antenna?  ZL9HR should be able to be heard on a simple dipole at the right time and band.  I did not say worked, but at least heard and you aren't hearing a peep.

Chris/NU1O
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »

Is there somewhere that there are up-to-date news reports on them? I only have http://www.campbell2012.com/ and the latest info is from 21/1.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2012, 03:24:29 PM »

Is there somewhere that there are up-to-date news reports on them? I only have http://www.campbell2012.com/ and the latest info is from 21/1.

http://dx-world.net/

And several of these DX Forum Threads here on eHam
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2012, 06:00:47 AM »

http://dx-world.net/

And several of these DX Forum Threads here on eHam

It sure would help if information (like about overnight plans) could be posted to the main dxpedition webpage instead of having to dig around in various random threads on different dx forums... Smiley

Tor
N4OGW
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2012, 06:40:30 AM »

It sure would help if information (like about overnight plans) could be posted to the main dxpedition webpage instead of having to dig around in various random threads on different dx forums... Smiley

Tor
N4OGW

There is another way to get real-time info w/o having to glue yourself to the rig or a computer - if you have a droid-based phone:
http://www.ae5x.com/blog/2012/12/02/dx-cluster-app-for-droid-updated-improved/

Set it up to alert specifically to ZL9HR on your band of choice by a W, VE, whatever. When he's spotted and the criteria fits the filter, your phone will chirp. Many chirps mean get outta bed and go work him!

This way, the info comes to you - you don't have to go looking for it.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2012, 07:19:06 AM »

Tor
N4OGW

There is another way to get real-time info w/o having to glue yourself to the rig or a computer - if you have a droid-based phone:

Set it up to alert specifically to ZL9HR on your band of choice by a W, VE, whatever. When he's spotted and the criteria fits the filter, your phone will chirp. Many chirps mean get outta bed and go work him!

John AE5X

I'm not talking about DX spots, but other information that could be placed in "news" on the web page: dates they will be on the island (late due to WX, but no extension to departure), plans to stay overnight, etc.

Tor
N4OGW

AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2012, 07:31:58 AM »

Got them on 30m this AM for a new band country!  Worked them around 1400Z and they had a good signal.  First time I have heard them very well and I am just using a low dipole.  The op wasn't working people too quickly, but the pileup wasn't too bad either, definitely better than the pileups for PT0S were.  I would have thought that ZL9 would be rarer than PY0S.

Now to get them and the 5T (who I worked last night on 30m for a new band country) on RTTY for 2 new mode countries.  Sure hope the solar flux improves for the 10m contest or it could be a long weekend.

John AF5CC
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »

Tor
N4OGW

John AE5X

I'm not talking about DX spots, but other information that could be placed in "news" on the web page: dates they will be on the island (late due to WX, but no extension to departure), plans to stay overnight, etc.

Tor
N4OGW

As soon as the pilots get infiormation, we post to DX World, these forums and the Daily DX.

The pilots don't have access to the web site - but I will ask to see if the web master can also update the web page with such news.

Part of the problem is the team only knows day to day - and at the last minute if they can stay on the island over night. The people who are deciding this are the New Zealand Department of Conservation (DOC).

We are very, very lucky that they have even been able to stay on the island one night - let alone 3 so far. There are no guarantees of "every night". The DX cluster is the most up to date on exactly where they are and when. The team has been responsive to all of the requests I have forwarded for NA - in fact - they have done every thing we have asked so far (160, 80, follow the greyline, ask for numbers on 40M SSB - and the list goes on and on).

GL in the pileups,

Rich
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:40:09 AM by KY6R » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: