Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZL9HR-Campbell Is Dxped feedback forum  (Read 31438 times)
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »

If you haven't worked the ZL9HR guys yet take heart...

The pile-ups are just beginning to thin out...they were even calling CQ
earlier today on 20M SSB.

If you aren't hearing these guys that's a different problem, but if
you are copying them then I suspect in a day or two you'll find
it much easier going.  100 watts can sound pretty loud when there are not
a lot of callers.

The ZL9HR team is really paying attention to propagation and is devoting a lot of time to NA
(thanks Rich and others...) check the spots and any propagation tools you have
available, plan your operating time and don't give up yet...it's way too early with 4+ days to go.

Gl de harry, W6DXO

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »

Saw a 15 meter cw spot when I walked in from errands.  Turned on everything and they were LOUD.  I made a few calls, and at 2230z or so, their signal dropped like it had been shot. I guess they turned the damned antenna........ Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

The ONLY band I hear them good on, is 30 meters, the band which I made the QSO on the first day. 15 and 12 Has been really crappy here....... 40 VERY Noisy.......... Noise and weak signals while others are spotting em as loud, etc.  Oh, weil, I have my one QSO in the log.

Gene AF3Y

UPDATE:  2311z   12m and 15 meters just too weak to work. Noise is almost as loud as signal. Oh well........  I am glad everyone else can hear em.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:12:30 PM by AF3Y » Logged
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2012, 03:39:30 PM »

Even a SB200 goes for like 300-400 bucks these days.

Krish,

For a whole-lotta people $300 is a whole-lotta money. I bet to get even a "free" tower in the ground is gonna cost at LEAST $100 in cement (not to mention labor).

It is easy for some of us to forget how fortunate we really are.

paul
Hi Paul,
 I hear you. Infact there are stations, where the Rohn25 footing is never in cement. They have a hole in the ground, have a lot of rock
 and gravel for drainage and then just guy the thing quite well. The advantage is that nothing is stopping the tower from slight movement
 and accommodates the wind a lot better. More like a pier-pin arrangement. This is information gleaned from "tower talk reflector".

I had my tower installed in a similar manner. I did not go much higher than 23ft with 3ft of mast or so. But it did
 reasonably well for the height. I was on a 0.2 acre plot and the backyard was less than 75ftx30ft.
 So could not go much higher in order to guy it.

In the past, my 65ft high G5RV could not hear the VU7LD signals, but another ham in the area has a 90ft high dipole and worked them.
 So the height makes a difference. Just getting creative within the financial constraints is the way to go. If there is a will, there is
 a way. Keep trying and not to give up. Like Rich said, people have stuff in their backyards and you just need to keep eyes and ears
 open.

Krish

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »

I also didn't mention that I live in a mobile home park and I am
not supposed to have ANY ANTENNAS.
(Before anyone else says it...Yeah, TRAILER TRASH !)
A tower is out of the question, it is NOT my land and the
owner is (to put it mildly) a DICK !

I suspect my most difficulty is overcoming geography.
IF I were on top of the ridge to my west, I would
hear gangbusters, but it is such an obstacle, that is
insurmountable.

Going south to SA, or east to Africa and Europe
or even over the pole to Asiatic Russia, I do kinda well
with what I have.

West to the South Pacific and Asia is a different story.

I work a lot of contests. During international contests
I can USUALLY find one JA, one ZL & one VK to get the multipliers
but I do not spend lotsa time calling that part of the globe
because I know it is wasted time.

I agree, I must improve my antenna system, but it
really is not possible. Also, being disabled, it is
difficult to get the help necessary to get things done.

This past summer, my IDIOT son in law was cutting down a small
tree in my back yard and FORGOT to look up.
Well, of course the tree brought down my doublet.
It took 6 months to get him and my other son in law
to come out here and fix things. Watching them put this doublet
back up was like watching 2 blind men try to capture and skin
a skunk. Neither one of them had a clue what to do and I was out with
them TRYING to explain how to do the repair, but THEY knew better
and had to do it THEIR WAY.
The doublet should have been 30' above ground but by the time they were done, it ended up at 20' and sagging like a cheap clother line.

Oh well, I will continue doing what I can with what I got.

Oh, and $ 3-400 for an amp is out of the question too.
My tuner is an MFJ-969, limit 300 watts, so an amp
would require a different tuner in addition to the amp.

We barely get by on Social Security and her small paycheck
that she gets working as a hostess/cashier.
Medical bills, prescription co-pays and expenses are killing us, but again
we do what we can with what we got.

NOTICE:
I am NOT intending to whine...There are LOTSA people out there that
are MUCH WORSE OFF than we are and I am grateful for what I do have.
I have bloviated enough !

Now back to listening for Auckland Island.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:50:19 PM by KB3LIX » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »

I actually got through on 20 CW this morning around 1300UTC. I was running 100 watts and my antenna was a dipole cut for 20 meters aiming right at Europe/ZL up 30 feet. They were quite weak, but they got the call just fine and the pile was not large.

paul

Congrats! It was definitely a long path signal. Unfortunately my 5 watts and beam didn't make it. I had him to my to myself several times and it was a no go. That "hill" in the way of their EU heading probably didn't help. Normally if I can hear them I can work them. There are always exceptions and this was one of them. (The other most notably are polar paths to SE Asia) They had a decent signal. I tried and tried and not even a question mark!  Grin

On to plan #396...
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »

The ZL9HR team has done a tremendous job working through the pileups.  I believe one thing that has helped NA is that we're not competing with EU because of short path propagation for the respective continents.  The only thing we have to fight is the NA QRMers. Angry
Randy
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »

KB3LIX,
Have you tried listening on 30m in the wee hours of the morning? That part of the world comes in nicely on 30m or 40m 4am - 7am est. That's when I've heard them the strongest here. During the day they've been weak here on my dipole on the higher bands. What I love about 30m is the power restriction.. it levels the playing field a bit. I'll often set my alarm to listen for/work dxpeditions in that part of the world and hope they're on the band I want at that time of day.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »

If you haven't worked the ZL9HR guys yet take heart...

The pile-ups are just beginning to thin out...they were even calling CQ
earlier today on 20M SSB.

If you aren't hearing these guys that's a different problem, but if
you are copying them then I suspect in a day or two you'll find
it much easier going.  100 watts can sound pretty loud when there are not
a lot of callers.

The ZL9HR team is really paying attention to propagation and is devoting a lot of time to NA
(thanks Rich and others...) check the spots and any propagation tools you have
available, plan your operating time and don't give up yet...it's way too early with 4+ days to go.

Gl de harry, W6DXO

KB3LIX's problem is he can't even hear them. They can call him on a discrete frequency and he still won't work them.

A dipole at 20 feet isn't going to cut it and on top of it all he has huge geographic problems.  

I don't have an answer for Bill except to buy old antennas and make his own beam.  I have a neighbor 3 streets over who uses a Radio Shack pushup mast with a Mosley TA33.  I hear him working Europe and Africa but those are not difficult paths from New England. I have no idea if he's working Asia or any rare DX. He also has a small 811 amplifier.

Yes, Rich has built some inexpensive antennas but he also owns an Elecraft K3 and he has his antennas up at least 40 feet.  I doubt he'd be closing in on HR with a 30 year year old radio, dipole at 20 feet, and 100 Watts.  Although there are some exceptions to rule, most of the guys telling people they can work the world on the cheap have rather expensive stations.  

What many of us are forgetting is there are maintenance costs to running a station so even if somebody gave KB3LIX a tower and an amp, what happens when the tower needs a new cable or an expensive tube goes?  When one is retired and living on a fixed income it really becomes impossible to compete with people with disposable income.  And on top of that he is disabled and at the mercy of two sons-in-law who do not realize how important this is to him.

I hear these complaints everyday on the radio and when my neighbor's antenna came down I offered to help put it back up but he refused, saying his son-in law would help. Yeah, he's probably still waiting for that help.  What the hobby really needs is some younger guys to help those who can no longer do the antenna work. The trouble is I don't know any twenty and thirty year old guys going into the hobby.

Well, I might know one ham in his 30s. Aren't you about that age Jonathan?

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:43:57 PM by NU1O » Logged
KD6KVL

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2012, 08:54:46 PM »

I'm 33 and help the guys as much as they'll let me.  These same guys came over to my house when I was 12 and helped me put up my first dipole.
It's really nice being able to pay it back.

I recently met an older guy who just got his general license and wanted to know how to make an HF dipole.  That dipole was up a month before he sold some old crap laying around and bought a beam.  It was great to see his eyes light up when he started listening. 

Point is, there aren't many my age doing what we do, 20 years from now, Visalia DX Convention might be a little lonely, but we do see and help whenever we can.

Frank KG6N
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »

I'm 33 and help the guys as much as they'll let me.  These same guys came over to my house when I was 12 and helped me put up my first dipole.
It's really nice being able to pay it back.

I recently met an older guy who just got his general license and wanted to know how to make an HF dipole.  That dipole was up a month before he sold some old crap laying around and bought a beam.  It was great to see his eyes light up when he started listening. 

Point is, there aren't many my age doing what we do, 20 years from now, Visalia DX Convention might be a little lonely, but we do see and help whenever we can.

Frank KG6N

Excellent Frank - thanks!
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2012, 09:52:33 PM »

I think he may also have fallen into the common trap of "I've done all I can think of so there mustn't be any more possible given my limitations." Sometimes that is the case, but often-times it isn't and the limits aren't as insurmountable as you may think. An AL-811 uses tubes that cost $21 each ($67 for a matched set). Wire beams can be built steathily, Hexbeams fabricated simply enough and so on.

And if all else fails, there have to be a few hams within a short drive of his QTH who might welcome him into their shack and give him a shot at an ATNO once in a while.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2012, 12:37:38 AM »

I think he may also have fallen into the common trap of "I've done all I can think of so there mustn't be any more possible given my limitations." Sometimes that is the case, but often-times it isn't and the limits aren't as insurmountable as you may think. An AL-811 uses tubes that cost $21 each ($67 for a matched set). Wire beams can be built steathily, Hexbeams fabricated simply enough and so on.

And if all else fails, there have to be a few hams within a short drive of his QTH who might welcome him into their shack and give him a shot at an ATNO once in a while.

Peter, I think we can eliminate an amplifier because no matter how inexpensive the replacement tubes he has to stretch a fixed income on much more important things like rent, food, utilities, and RX and Doctor co-pays. Also, his tuner is only rated at 300 Watts so he'd need one with a higher power capacity. Since the geography can't be changed at his QTH I think the only practical solution is to get that dipole up as high as possible and that would make a difference if the change in height was significant.  My inverted V has an apex of only 55 feet but I've heard ZL9HR on 30 and 40 with strong signals and I heard T6LG on 40 meters the other night. He wasn't very strong but a weak signal is better than not hearing any signal.

I have no idea as to his opinion on working DX like ZL9HR from a club station or another ham's station but if there ever was a case when it was warranted this is it.

The only other suggestion I have for him is to see if there is a decent club in his area where members might help him build a proper dipole and get it up as high as possible. Too bad I do not live close to him as I just purchased one of those Zebco fishing reels welded to a slingshot and I could easily get a dipole up 50 feet provided there were trees that high.

Our members are aging and the biggest complaint I hear from older hams is they can no longer do the antenna work they once did.

Frank, KG6N, is to be highly commended for the help he offers older hams but as he says there simply are not enough guys his age to help all the older hams.

I have never belonged to a radio club but if I were starting one up today helping hams with relatively simple antenna work would be at the top of the list of member benefits. No climbing or installing towers would be included but that still leaves a lot of things that can be done to help our elder brethren.

Chris/NU1O
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2012, 12:55:35 AM »

KB3LIX,
Have you tried listening on 30m in the wee hours of the morning? That part of the world comes in nicely on 30m or 40m 4am - 7am est. That's when I've heard them the strongest here. During the day they've been weak here on my dipole on the higher bands. What I love about 30m is the power restriction.. it levels the playing field a bit. I'll often set my alarm to listen for/work dxpeditions in that part of the world and hope they're on the band I want at that time of day.

Been up the last few nights listening on 30 & 40.

TONIGHT, for the FIRST time, I AM hearing them on 30m
and they are loud enough to hear and make out what
they are sending. I amtyping between his Q's.
The pileup sounds HUGE from here but I am parked up high above the majority of the pile up in hopes he will hear me.

It is nice to finally HEAR something.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2012, 01:49:59 AM »

Thats the end of that for tonight.
He just went QRT at 4:47 my time, 0947z.

Must be time to go back to de boat.

At least I can say I heard them ONCE, and
ONCE is better than NONE !!!!!!

Make that TWICE.
I am also hearing them on 40ph, but the bunch that
doesn't understand "listening 185-200" are out in full force.
I sure wish they were on cw instead of phone.
Fewer turds that way.

Conditions must be really good tonight.

The op on 40ph just gave someone hell for duping him.
Why are you calling me when others are still trying to get thru
for the first time ?

Well DONE !
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:20:23 AM by KB3LIX » Logged
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2012, 02:23:29 AM »

Thats the end of that for tonight.
He just went QRT at 4:47 my time, 0947z.

Must be time to go back to de boat.

At least I can say I heard them ONCE, and
ONCE is better than NONE !!!!!!

Make that TWICE.
I am also hearing them on 40ph, but the bunch that
doesn't understand "listening 185-200" are out in full force.
I sure wish they were on cw instead of phone.
Fewer turds that way.

Conditions must be really good tonight.

The op on 40ph just gave someone hell for duping him.
Why are you calling me when others are still trying to get thru
for the first time ?

Well DONE !

Please stay on the fringes of the pile. perhaps around 7.200.2 and call. Good luck
Krish
w4vku
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: