Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZL9HR-Campbell Is Dxped feedback forum  (Read 27987 times)
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2012, 03:01:11 AM »

Rich,

You might want to tell them that the 30 meter op (now at 1045 UTC) is saying "up", his TX frequency moves up, then he is working people SIMPLEX! This same thing happened Sunday morning. Must not know how to use the radio.

Paul
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2012, 03:59:30 AM »

A dipole at 20 feet isn't going to cut it and on top of it all he has huge geographic problems.  

Chris/NU1O

Maybe, maybe not.  That sort of antenna may shoot a signal just over his obstructions on 10 or 12 meters--he just needs the band to be open just enough for him to get through--but not so wide open that he has a pileup to get through.  Not likely, but it does happen--which is why he is in there, trying to work them, even though the odds are stacked against him.

The beauty of chasing DX is that we set our own standards and goals--you can still have a lot of fun even though HR is a virtual impossibility. 

I made two totally different DX goals this year--I worked 200 Diamond DXCC countries from the ARRL staff club station and worked WAC from home using 5 watts and a flagpole vertical using the digital mode JT65.  In some sense, the latter was actually the tougher achievement--it took a lot of work to come up with a really great looking antenna located in our front yard--I really ought to put a photo on my QRZ page.  Then I had to figure out how to work DX on a mode that isn't really suited for pileups--and then work the stations!  Of course, reaching 200 Diamond countries using 3 elements at 50 feet isn't exactly a walk in the park, but I learned a lot about conventional phone/cw DXing as a young ham.

Zack W1VT
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2012, 04:10:25 AM »

40 ph has faded down into the noise clutter and 30m cw is crazy.
The spots say he is working simplex, but his TX freq is up and down the band.
He is so weak, I have to have a fixed spot to listen, not jumping
around +/- 2-3 kc. I must use my 300 hz filter to hear ZL9 and only ZL9
and keep others off freq out of the rx passband and
causing the RX to desense, then I lose the ZL9.

Daybreak is here, time for some ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Good night.

Maybe tomorrow !
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2012, 04:16:34 AM »

I worked him at 1045 on 30m. He was moving his QRG around a bit but he also would stop transmitting for awhile, then start again. Very cagey. You had to keep moving the dial back and forth and listen for his fist. Interesting way to work a pileup, I'm sure it frustrates people but it really levels the playing field.

ex W4HFK
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2012, 05:29:32 AM »

Rich,

You might want to tell them that the 30 meter op (now at 1045 UTC) is saying "up", his TX frequency moves up, then he is working people SIMPLEX! This same thing happened Sunday morning. Must not know how to use the radio.

Paul

I will ask - it is the strangest thing for sure.

Rich
KY6R
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2012, 05:48:04 AM »

A dipole at 20 feet isn't going to cut it and on top of it all he has huge geographic problems.  

Maybe, maybe not. I worked them yesterday AM on 30m using a similar antenna.  Mine is at 25 feet, though. Those extra 5 feet must make all the difference HI HI. I have worked 280 countries or more with that antenna and 100 watts. Takes some patience but it can be done.  Was using the same antenna when I worked ZL9CI on 20m CW in 1999.  Any antenna beats being QRT, and sometimes it is fun to do things you aren't supposed to be able to do.

John AF5CC
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2012, 06:02:36 AM »

Well, another early morning of listing on 40.  Grin There SSB signal is basically ESP for me here in Carson City. I am running a 43' vertical with decent terrain in that direction. I have done VERY well in the past in that area and of course OC in general. If they were calling CQ, I think I could pull it off but I just can't hear well enough to try now.

On a side note, I checked out a remote station in Salinas just to compare. (No, I wouldn't use ANY remote to get in the log) It's a K3 with a Windom up 20'. I could hear them a bit better but really not a lot of difference. Salinas, CA is close to the coast.

I'll keep trying.

Eric
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2012, 06:43:12 AM »

Well, another early morning of listing on 40. I have done VERY well in the past in that area and of course OC in general.

I'll keep trying.

Same story with my limited setup here in Colorado. 

I'm curious if anyone has been surprised by the propagation patterns so far?
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2012, 07:04:36 AM »

Well, another early morning of listing on 40. I have done VERY well in the past in that area and of course OC in general.

I'll keep trying.

Between the SFI and SSN dropping like a rock - with the most inopportune timing, the fact that the East Coast and EU have had such great propagation (way better than West Coast) is still a mystery. The first day's mystery was solved - basically they operated with less than optimal antennas. And even though they have been much easier to work on the West Coast since that first day - they are still weak as mouse milk on the low bands here in the San Francisco Bay Area - and my 40M half square usually crushes into that part of the world.

I am sure it has to do with geography - there must be a hill in the way. They must have a pipeline towards the NE through the channel / bay that they are down in - and that the hills give a glancing blow toward the more northerly direction toward the West Coast.

On another related note - from the start - low band access was supposed to be all but NIL, and so in that regard - the fact that I am seeing many people in the NE and SE - with simple antennas and low power get a Q - is way beyond what I had expected, given what VOACAP predicted.

In my books - Santa Arrived on the Scene Early this year.

Lets hope that the West Coast gets the "usual" VK-ZL pipeline that we have almost year round! There still is time for a "Festivus Miracle", and I have asked that the team "follow the grey line" to make this happen - as long as they are still allowed to even be on the island over night.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2012, 07:24:25 AM »

Hey Rich
Boy, their signals at my house have been pretty good for 40 meters and above but 80 and 160 haven't been optimal though.  I guess a lot of the problem is that geomagnetic dome that forms over my house for 80 and 160.

Are they still allowed to stay overnight on the island?  I read this morning in the QRZ-DX mailer I get that they going QRT Saturday at 1900z.  Is that correct?  Tell the team they have been doing an outstanding job!  Smiley
Randy
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2012, 07:30:29 AM »

The first day's mystery was solved - basically they operated with less than optimal antennas. And even though they have been much easier to work on the West Coast since that first day - they are still weak as mouse milk on the low bands here in the San Francisco Bay Area - and my 40M half square usually crushes into that part of the world.

Rich, what is even STRANGER, I heard them LOUDER on 30m that first day (when I nabbed em Smiley ), then at any other time since then.  I finally got them again on 15 SSB, and a possible 20m CW contact earlier yesterday (Not sure on that one Roll Eyes ).

When you said their antennas were less than optimum, I heard them GREAT! They are still strong on 30m, stronger than any other band, but not like day one.  Whatever they are using for 30, they need to try it on 12, 15, 17 & 20  Grin ).........

BTW, although weak and with QSB usually, the VOACAP predictions for here in Florida have darn near matched my printout. Go Figure, huh?

73, Gene AF3Y
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2012, 07:34:52 AM »

a possible 20m CW contact earlier yesterday  Roll Eyes.

Gene,
 I heard that exchange, The op came back to you several times, but I never heard you send a report back - although hearing you was not a problem.  Grin Ouch, my ears!

I may not have checked back to your freq in time to hear you send an exchange.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2012, 07:51:21 AM »

I'll keep trying.

Between the SFI and SSN dropping like a rock - with the most inopportune timing, the fact that the East Coast and EU have had such great propagation (way better than West Coast) is still a mystery. The first day's mystery was solved - basically they operated with less than optimal antennas. And even though they have been much easier to work on the West Coast since that first day - they are still weak as mouse milk on the low bands here in the San Francisco Bay Area - and my 40M half square usually crushes into that part of the world.

I am sure it has to do with geography - there must be a hill in the way. They must have a pipeline towards the NE through the channel / bay that they are down in - and that the hills give a glancing blow toward the more northerly direction toward the West Coast.

On another related note - from the start - low band access was supposed to be all but NIL, and so in that regard - the fact that I am seeing many people in the NE and SE - with simple antennas and low power get a Q - is way beyond what I had expected, given what VOACAP predicted.

In my books - Santa Arrived on the Scene Early this year.

Lets hope that the West Coast gets the "usual" VK-ZL pipeline that we have almost year round! There still is time for a "Festivus Miracle", and I have asked that the team "follow the grey line" to make this happen - as long as they are still allowed to even be on the island over night.

Thanks Rich and that pretty much mirrors my perceptions as well.  It's been a much tougher nut to crack than I expected, and most of the "no copy cluster gripes" have been from stations and QTHs that I would expect to have great copy.  And like you mentioned the plummeting sfi hasn't helped.  It's sure been interesting...

Great job piloting as well.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2012, 07:58:22 AM »

K0YQ:

Thanks John! BTW, I spent a week in Colorado the last week of September / first week of October and visited Aspen, Durango, Mesa Verde, Telluride, Crested Butte and Denver. The Aspens were at their peak, and there was snow all around Telluride. Words can't describe how beautiful Aspens in full color in the snow are - I'll never forget it.

Oh - and the beer at Great Divide Brewing in Denver - World Class - wish I could get in in the SF Bay Area. What a state!

Rich
KY6R
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2012, 09:31:12 AM »

After reading the mail here, I decided to set my alarm for 4 AM and see if I could hear anything here in SE Michigan.

I made sure not to wake up Grumpy, despite the alarm. Smiley

Well, for the second time I actually heard them. 30 meters. Never heard the pile-up. Tried throwing out my call up 7 or so whenever they were strong and I would be able to respond. No luck, but I had to try.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: