Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best DXpedition ever?  (Read 2493 times)
AF5C

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:51:40 PM »

Here is a question that is likely to get some interesting responses.  I was thinking of this last night-in your opinion, what has been the greatest DXpedition ever, and why?  I have my own idea, but am interested in seeing what other say first.

John AF5CC
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »

In the 12 years I've been DX-ing - its a 4 way tie - 7O6T, EP3PK, Z81D and E40VB.

If you press me for just one - probably 7O6T. Thanks to Paul, N6PSE for maybe my most precious QSO of all!

7O6T, Z81D and EP3PK are in the hardest parts of the world for me to contact - and so - took all I could muster both technically as well as operationally speaking.

Pooyan is one of the nicest people I have met on the planet. We have become very good friends.

Vlad has given me countless really rare places in a way that made it so much more enjoyable than the massive pileups (that I have grown to not like so much anymore). Vlad gave me Comoros and Palestine in the past few years which was really cool.

Diya from Iraq is just the nicest guy - and doing great in South Sudan these days.

The "Penguins" FT5XO was something else . . . TO4E's pilot was the best ever - I could go on and on.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 03:37:22 PM by KY6R » Logged
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »

Wow, there have been so many great DX'peditions, it would be hard to pick out one to say it was the best ever. I would say out of those I have worked, probably 7O6T would be at the top. It was a total surprise, they did an outstanding job, and gave a new one to a lot of us. Next on my list would be HK0NA because of the hardships they had to endure to operate from site A on the top of the mountain. I'm only going by what I've been involved with the last couple of years after I got back into the hobby.

John K7KB
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »

Any one that uploads to LOTW within a few weeks!  Smiley

Seriously, any of them headed by N6PSE or K4UUE.  I don't see how...or understand why...they do what they do, but I am delighted and thankful that they do.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
(Author of the new book RIDING THE SHORTWAVES:
EXPLORING THE MAGIC OF AMATEUR RADIO)
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »

Frosts my A** that I missed both Yemen and Somalia
due to illness.
Neither will probably be activated again in my lifetime.

HK0NA & T32C are right up there.

I do not have the perspective of years and years of being licensed.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 03:25:02 PM by KB3LIX » Logged
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »

Frosts my A** that I missed both Yemen and Somalia
due to illness.
Neither will probably be activated again in my lifetime.

I don't know about that. Seems that Somalia has had some sort of operation every year or so, and although Yemen was a surprise, it doesn't mean that nobody will ever come along and surprise us again. You just never know.

John K7KB
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:13:26 PM »

My favorite DXpedition was  3Y0X in 2006.  Fantastic operation.
KB9BIT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 04:32:07 PM »

My favorite DXpedition was  3Y0X in 2006.  Fantastic operation.

This one would be the one I'd vote for also. I made my one and only QSO during their last hours on the air and didn't think I would get them.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »

Three really stand out to me. One, TX5C (George and Tomi's great Chesterfield Island Adventure) is by far and away my favourite. 9 bands, 3 modes, a very easy Topband QSO and all confirmed within 24 hours on LoTW while they were still on the island. The second was 7O6T, just because of its rarity. Number three was BS7H (2007 edition), for the same reason. I ranked it lower because I only worked them on 1 band and it wasn't the huge surprise that Socotra Island was.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »

A tough tough question, cause there have been at least a dozen that were memorable.

TX3A, Chesterfield in 2009, 7O6T and the very recent PT0S, plus K4M and K5D, but in no particular order.

ALL FIVE were well done, start to finish and of course all were ATNOs!  Grin

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:46:25 PM by AF3Y » Logged
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »

Here is a question that is likely to get some interesting responses.  I was thinking of this last night-in your opinion, what has been the greatest DXpedition ever, and why?  I have my own idea, but am interested in seeing what other say first.  John AF5CC 

No question: BIG DXpedition - VK0IR Heard Island 1997
                    Little DXpedition - 3Y0C Bouvet Island 2001
P5/4L4FN was a fantastic catch, but don't think one would characterize it as a true DXPedition.

These are truly the rare ones.

73, Rich, K3VAT

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »

Correction to my post. George and Tomi was TX3C, of course, not TX5A (Clipperton).

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 07:21:48 PM »

Correction to my post. George and Tomi was TX3C, of course, not TX5A (Clipperton).

More precisely, they were signing TX3A from Chesterfield island.

73 Dragan K0AP
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »

In my view, it is simply impossible to separate one single dxpedition out of so many and say this one is the best. Maybe the question should be "List of Best DXpeditions".  Based on factors such are: remoteness, difficult natural and political elements to overcome, expense, logistics, ranking on the most wanted list before activation... not favoring any and not in any particular order, my list includes but is not limited to:

VK0IR, 3Y0X, VP8THU/VP8GEO, K1B, PT0S, BS7H, K5K, 7O6T, K5D, HK0NA, VP6DX, VP8SSI... etc, etc etc.

73 Dragan K0AP
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »

My "best" was T32C. I definitely had the most fun with that one. I had a 10M FM and a 160M phone contact both of which got me fired up. I used a 43' stick of aluminum jammed in the ground (still do) so I have no idea how that Top Band QSO was made.  Grin

Eric
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: