Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best DXpedition ever?  (Read 3130 times)
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »

My thinking when I wrote the question was D68C as the best.  They went 10,000 miles away from the US, put a crushing signal into NA (remember how loud they were!), made 186,000 QSOs which was the DXpedition record at the time, and I think they were one of the first DXpeditions to use PSK.  Too bad I wasn't on the digital modes then.  I did work them on 10m FM as well, which was a really nice surprise.  How often do you make a 10,000 mile FM QSO?

Second place would be 7O6T.  They go to a place that no one thought could be activated, keep it a secret until right before the DXpedition, have a great signal, and give lots of people an ATNO.

Third place would be 3Y0X just due to the logistics of setting up in such a difficult place, and pulling off a first class DXpedition.  I worked them on 3 or 4 bands-including 30m.

Honorable mention is VP6DX from Ducie Island because they heard my crummy signal on 160m.  Grown men weep when they model my antenna on 160.

John AF5CC
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 08:40:26 PM »

In my view, it is simply impossible to separate one single dxpedition out of so many and say this one is the best.

I agree. Plus my memory isn't that good to remember the circumstances over almost 30 years. And I'm very very thankful to all of them I was fortunate to work. But here are some I remember for various reasons:

Shock value (shocked it happened; shocked I worked them): 7O6T
Worked All Bands (80-10):                                                    VP6DX
Worked All Bands -1 (80-10):                                                ZL8X
Never thought I'd ever work the place 1st place:                    XX9OO
                         "                               2nd place:                   4W6MM
                         "                               3rd place:                    VP6BR
Just in the Nick of Time                       1st place:                    N8S
Just in the Nick of Time                       2nd place:                   PT0S
Can't Believe I Broke the Pile Up:                                           6O0CW (2005)
Stopped to Ask For QRP Stations:                                         7P8D              
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 05:48:11 AM »

I have a very small sample size since I started DXing last year.  The one that I was most excited to work was 7O6T. 

However, most excited doesn't mean the best.  I think the best judgement of any DXpedition is the number of QSO's per expedition operator.  I have no idea who wins that one. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 10:12:55 AM »

disclaimer: I am not close to being a 'big gun' and my confirmed entity total is just 172 (thanks LoTW)...

My favorite was VP8ORK because it was one of the first DXpeditions I chased and because ever since I was first licensed in 1976 the possibility of working the south arctic via radio has always been especially appealing to me.  Great Ops and nice QSL card too! T32C was great for me too. 

The challenges that PT0S faced make that a very impressive operation too. 
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 10:57:48 AM »

When I looked at the picture of the country remained very impressed,
the first shipment in 1995 BS7H for me!

the biggest surprise P51BH
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 11:09:32 AM »

When I looked at the picture of the country remained very impressed,
the first shipment in 1995 BS7H for me!

wow, that's tiny!
http://www.scarboroughreef.com/4rocks.html
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »

The expeditions I almost ran the table on: HK0NA, VP6DX and T32C.......for shear surprise of it, 7O6T.....Others to mention inclued XR0X San Felix Island....TI9M Cocos Island.....TX5C Clipperton.....VK0GC Macquarie Island (probably a scientific assignment, not an expedition, but still, that's the rarest of the rare next to 7O that I have bagged)....I have been at this game a lot of years, so I can't remember them all, but for the tops of the tops, the first 4 listed would have to be the best ever.....

V
KA3NRX

AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 08:45:13 PM »

I worked VK0GC on Macquarie Island myself.  Think it was back in 1989, one late evening after working second shift at a restaurant during the summer between undergraduate and graduate school.  That was sure a thrill.  Was using a set of Kenwood twins and a long wire.  Another one I got with a Heathkit SB102 and an indoor dipole that turned out to be pretty rare (by today's standards) was NF6F/KP1.

John AF5CC
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »

No favorites but if I really had to choose one it would have been K5D.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 09:32:57 PM »

No favorites but if I really had to choose one it would have been K5D.

I was carrying one of their QSL cards at Dayton, and had the pleasure of showing it to one of the team who had not yet seen it.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »

I worked VK0GC on Macquarie Island myself.  Think it was back in 1989, one late evening after working second shift at a restaurant during the summer between undergraduate and graduate school.  That was sure a thrill.  Was using a set of Kenwood twins and a long wire.  Another one I got with a Heathkit SB102 and an indoor dipole that turned out to be pretty rare (by today's standards) was NF6F/KP1.

John AF5CC

Isn't that awesome!....Yep, mine was in August of 1987....up late for  one of the last times of the summer before the fall semester of my senior year of college was to start, so I made the most of it.....using my old Ten Tec Delta and a 20 meter dipole.....haven't heard Macquarie since...not even this most recent operation (VK0TH or something?).....don't ya love it when you get the rare ones when you are young and using nothing but a wet noodle???.... Grin...now I am old and using nothing but a wet noodle, but back then, we had a sunspot cycle, unlike now......great stuff John......

V
KA3NRX

W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:50 PM »

Hard to pick just one, so I'll give you two:

7O6T         What a surprise and so brilliantly executed by all the Ops.

P5/4F4FN    Sure it was just Ed by himself, but I remember this as a really well done one-man-band..
                   Do you remember the cool QSL web site that showed that your card had been received   
                   and where in the processing cycle your QSL card was..man that was state-of-the-art !

73 de harry, W6DXO
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 08:44:18 PM »

VK0MM was on in 2000 or so and easy to work.  Gave me Macquarie on CW.  Heard him on 30m as well but no luck on that band.  Glad I have it on both modes, now to get them on RTTY!  Chasing DX in the college days was sure the life, wasn't it?

John AF5CC
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »

These are all so deserving, and we owe each of them a debt of gratitude for the financial and physical efforts they made.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: