Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Postage for outgoing QSL Cards  (Read 1044 times)
KB3MDT

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »

Hi,
   I want to start sending out paper QSL cards from my home in the US to folks that have been nice enough to send them to me.  Most of the cards I have received have been in envelopes.  Thus, I will probably go this route.   The cards are from many countries around the world.  What kind of postage do I need to use for envelopes with cards inside going to other countries?    Or is it better for me to take all the envelopes with cards to the post office and have them put the postage on for me?   Finally, what about Cuba?   I have gotten a couple of cards from Cuba.   Can we send cards back to folks in Cuba?  As you can see, I'm new to the paper QSL Card game and any advice would be appreciated.

Ken
KB3MDT

PS.  I'm already using eQSL for electronic cards. 
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:11:15 PM »

Hi,
   I want to start sending out paper QSL cards from my home in the US to folks that have been nice enough to send them to me.  Most of the cards I have received have been in envelopes.  Thus, I will probably go this route.   The cards are from many countries around the world.  What kind of postage do I need to use for envelopes with cards inside going to other countries?    Or is it better for me to take all the envelopes with cards to the post office and have them put the postage on for me?   Finally, what about Cuba?   I have gotten a couple of cards from Cuba.   Can we send cards back to folks in Cuba?  As you can see, I'm new to the paper QSL Card game and any advice would be appreciated.

Ken
KB3MDT

PS.  I'm already using eQSL for electronic cards. 

If you mean outbound postage (i.e. what it costs you to send the card), the rate is $1.05 for a 1 oz letter. For return postage, usually you include 2USD inside the envelope. Some countries need 3USD but there aren't very many of those. Some can even return you a card for 1USD. Best to check qrz and see what their recommendation is. If there isn't one just send 2USD.

You can send mail to Cuba, no problem. I wouldn't send currency there as it is technically illegal. However, most Cubans I've worked have QSL managers, usually in Spain.
KB3MDT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:21:24 PM »

Hi,
   Let me see if I understand.   I need $1.05 (I'll verify amount with post office) of US Postage Stamps to send a 1 Oz letter (I.e. Envelope with card inside) to any country?  It sounds too simple!  Thanks 

Ken
KB3MDT. 
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:32 PM »

Hurry, though. International postage is going up to 1.10 in January 2013.

John AF5CC
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:38:34 PM »

Mail to Canada and Mexico costs $0.85 for now. In January, they join the rest of the world at @1.10. At least the new $1.10 international stamps will be of the "forever" variety so you won't have to be adding 5 cent stamps or whatever to those you have left over when the next rate increase takes place.

http://www.k4hb.com/postage.html

Dave, N6ORB
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »

If you haven't already, look into the ARRL outgoing bureau service and the incoming bureau service for your call area (every serious DXer should have funds on reserve there). For hams that use the buro, it's a great way to exchange cards for VERY cheap (you only pay to get a bunch of cards to ARRL headquarters), but it can sometimes take months or years for you to get the other card back.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »

If you haven't already, look into the ARRL outgoing bureau service and the incoming bureau service for your call area (every serious DXer should have funds on reserve there). For hams that use the buro, it's a great way to exchange cards for VERY cheap (you only pay to get a bunch of cards to ARRL headquarters), but it can sometimes take months or years for you to get the other card back.

I love the incoming bureau.

About once every three months or so,
I get anywhere from 1-5 envelopes from the "3" bureau.

Like Christmas 4 times a year.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 09:15:57 PM »

Mail to Canada and Mexico costs $0.85 for now. In January, they join the rest of the world at @1.10. At least the new $1.10 international stamps will be of the "forever" variety so you won't have to be adding 5 cent stamps or whatever to those you have left over when the next rate increase takes place.

http://www.k4hb.com/postage.html

Dave, N6ORB

With the new postage rates there will no longer be discounted rates to the NAFTA bloc so this means that it's $1.10 for first class international regardless of country.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 09:24:41 PM »

I love the incoming bureau.

About once every three months or so,
I get anywhere from 1-5 envelopes from the "3" bureau.

Like Christmas 4 times a year.

I sort for the 2 land bureau (NJDXA). I get my cards at every monthly meeting as a result. There's usually an inch thick stack waiting for me every month.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: