Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40m expectations and a R7  (Read 970 times)
KF7NUA

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »

Just curious....

What should you expect for distances on 40m during the day, sunset and at night?
I know this is a loaded questions with many variables but ball park figures are ok.
I finally had a chance to get my R7 up and did some testing over the last few days.
I know this is not much power but it is what I have to use at this time.
Using IC746Pro 100 watts into a R7 at 8-10ft off the ground.

I am starting to believe I may have something a miss.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 05:30:37 PM by KF7NUA » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »

I would encourage you to buy the ARRL Handbook.  It contains a full chapter on propagation, and which answers your question.  Even used copies are useful.

I'll let others tackle your specifics.    73,  bill
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:08:03 PM »

I do have the book and yes I have read the chapter on it.
My question is aimed at I just wanted to hear what others are experiencing in real world.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »

I have worked 200 countries on 40m using 100 watts and either a vertical, 120 foot wire, or a G5RV type dipole.  During the day expect QSOs of 300 miles or so. Between sunset and sunrise expect the world!

John AF5CC
K6TOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 04:43:56 AM »

Hi Nick --

My setup is pretty similar: an R7 mounted 5' above ground and an IC-706 running 100W. 40M is my favorite band. The ground conductivity is poor, but I'm on the top of a ridge that drops off steeply to the west, south and east, so that helps.

I installed my R7 a year ago and have worked 70-80 countries from the west coast on 40m. The Pacific, VK/ZL, JA are easy as is most of the near east. I also work EU long path in the winter mornings (they are beaming LP, whereas the R7 is "all path"). So it works pretty well for DX. I put up a 40M dipole at 35' a few months ago for comparison. The R7 and the low dipole are about the same for DX. A/B tests show little difference. Maybe the R7 is a bit better for the signals >5000 miles.  However for daytime local work and for US contacts at night, the dipole is *much* better by 2-3 S units, sometimes more.

Kevin
K6TOP

KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »

I have worked 200 countries on 40m using 100 watts and either a vertical, 120 foot wire, or a G5RV type dipole.  During the day expect QSOs of 300 miles or so. Between sunset and sunrise expect the world!

John AF5CC

Thanks for your input John
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:36:36 AM »

Hi Nick --

My setup is pretty similar: an R7 mounted 5' above ground and an IC-706 running 100W. 40M is my favorite band. The ground conductivity is poor, but I'm on the top of a ridge that drops off steeply to the west, south and east, so that helps.

I installed my R7 a year ago and have worked 70-80 countries from the west coast on 40m. The Pacific, VK/ZL, JA are easy as is most of the near east. I also work EU long path in the winter mornings (they are beaming LP, whereas the R7 is "all path"). So it works pretty well for DX. I put up a 40M dipole at 35' a few months ago for comparison. The R7 and the low dipole are about the same for DX. A/B tests show little difference. Maybe the R7 is a bit better for the signals >5000 miles.  However for daytime local work and for US contacts at night, the dipole is *much* better by 2-3 S units, sometimes more.

Kevin
K6TOP

Thanks Kevin - I had my R7 up for about 6 months and never really used it that often, then when monsoon season started I decided to lower it down. I decided to put it back up on a tilt mount but tore up a tendon in my leg so the task to raise it back up again had to wait for 3 months of rest. I did just get it back up and have been testing it to see how well it works since I heard so many internet posts say it is a good antenna but I have never had an another vertical to compare it against, why the reason for this post.

During the day on 40m, range is between 400-800 mile
Sunset to early evening on 40m, I can hear the east coast 1500-2000 miles S7 to S9+ but they just faintly or barely hear me, and that was my concern, I thought it would be better. Also I hear Roberto in Italy loud and clear as usual and I am hearing Russia quite well too.

I am ordering a fiberglass mast so I can get a Doublet up in the air for 40 and 80m so I hope that helps with reaching the east coast with 100 watts.  Will see what happens then!   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: