Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX Engineering ATSA-1 Auto Tuned HF Stealth Antenna System - Thoughts  (Read 1017 times)
K0ACP

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »

Folks,

I am in the process of getting ready to install a low profile / stealthy antenna.
Beggars can not be choosers, but I'd like to have it all, 160 - 6m I realize that
this unit is only rated for 80 - 10, and that would be a very good compromise from
my perspective.  As I look to my options and contemplate alternatives, this solution
from DX Engineering appears to be a real front runner - albeit an expensive alternative.

Here are some questions for the group:
1) overall experience with this package -- the reviews section only has two and
there seem to be a universal concern with the MFJ autotuner.

2) I assume a current choke would be wise / necessary, if so, recommendations,
type 31 beads or perhaps an in line current choke?

3) recommendations for lightning protection.  I live in MI so we do have some
Thunder boomers.  I am planning on protection between unit and my radio, something
like the old ICE arrestors; however, I was wondering about putting something on the long
wire as a front end to the tuner?

4) Oh yes, what other alternatives might the group suggest ... Oh boy that is a wide-open question.

Thanks to all in advance for your thoughts and comments ...

Art
K0ACP
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 10:31:20 AM »

That is just a MFJ-927 remote autotuner feeding your antenna wire.  If the wire you use is long enough it will tune 160 meters.  It won't tune a 43-foot wire on 160 meters, though you can add some external inductance to the autotuner if you can't use a longer wire.  See the 160M extender in the "Articles" section of my website at www.ad5x.com.

Phil - AD5X
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »

I use a SGC230 with 75ft of wire and that'll tune on 160m.

The DX Engineering item seems to be DX Engineering bundling a bunch of stuff together to form a kit for those too lazy to get the bits together themselves and for which DX Engineering charge a premium.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:51:15 AM »

Hello IF you are able to include a rope hoist over a support then one can change wires. I exchange wires lengths are 22ft 44ft and 66ft. use the length where it is from 1/4 to 5/8 wave for the frequency applied and avoid 1/2 wave lengths.

The longwire can be redirected to an earthing rod using a wander lead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: