Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinion on the new Antenna Analyzer from Seeed  (Read 2060 times)
VY1MR

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2012, 02:41:42 AM »

Greetings OM, have a look at the stats of the new Analyzer from Seeed Studios.
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/preorder-sark110-antenna-analyzer-p-1270.html?cPath=174
I'm thinking of getting one of these but as I'm new to this stuff I would appreciate a knowledgeable
opinion of it's proposed capabilities. 

Thanks in advance

--Matt
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:51:02 AM »

I like my MFJ259B, it's so user friendly. BUT......Next year I'll be looking at the Dayton Hamfest for one of those.
It really looks like a nice compact unit and gives lots of good information. I have to see a demo before I buy.
Barry, KU3X
www.ku3x.net
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:39:56 AM »

Comparisons:

https://sites.google.com/site/sark110va/test-results

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:49:42 PM »

Looks good - based on the comparison table it is similar to the AIM in accuracy.
Very impressive.
It resolves sign of reactance as well, which is nice.
Internal sd card storage of results, and open source software seems a good idea as well.
Provided it has no reliability issues, it seems to be a very nice compact accurate unit.
Price is about in the ballpark with other quality units - and that is something between you and your banker, not me.

73 - Rob
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:53:34 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 05:17:07 AM »

Greetings OM, have a look at the stats of the new Analyzer from Seeed Studios.

I encountered so many Seeed web page problems while trying to place an order that I just gave up.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »

The designer and the company selling the SARK are very slow to respond. Updates on the SARK page are very few and far between. The latest I heard from  SEEED was that the units have been delayed.
Although I  like the stable R+/-JX screen, I think I'll stick with my RigExpert AA-200. It is very easy to use, light years ahead of the MFJ, Palstar, AEA offerings and  also allows archiving plots for publication via USB.

Dale W4OP
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 06:52:57 PM »

It's a wonder the Chinese have not decided to make a local antenna analyser yet.

It would probably take them 3 weeks to design, and in one month there would be 100,000 units leaving Shanghai for export.
I can imagine the price would probably be $39.95 , and free shipping - goodbye to all the other suppliers with their overpriced products.

I have dealt with a few of these type of situations, and I can testify that they are capable of making very good electronic products.
Something like an antenna analyser is really a trivially simple piece of electronics, so it is not particularly hard to design either.
If they can design, make and sell VHF handhelds for loose change, how simple and inexpensive would an antenna analyser be?

73 - Rob
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »

Hi Bob,
I agree. I think YouKits already has one but it is not a quality vector instrument- just  rehashed designs already out there.
It's just a matter of time though....

Dale W4OP
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 03:25:25 AM »

pre-order doesn't sound very good. I would move on.
And there aren't any of these in anyone's hands so, opinions will not be available.
Fred
K5JZS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 09:22:52 AM »

Go one step better, get the VNA from SDR-Kits.  Ant. analyzer and a 2 port VNA Smiley
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »

I already own an Agilent network analyzer. My need is for a portable device. It's not very handy to have to haul a notebook + the SDR VNA out to an antenna test range and then make a shade hood so you can see the notebook dispay screen.

Dale W4OP
K5JZS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »

quite true. Am experiencing that hassel Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: