Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex-6000 Signature Series Presentation  (Read 11430 times)
K9ZW

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2012, 08:52:48 AM »

An excellent presentation on the new Flex-6000 Signature Series by Steve Hicks N5AC, Vice President Engineering, Flex Radio Systems as filmed by HamRadioNow.

Direct Link to the YouTube Flex-6000 Presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCdxAmMsoC4

This Autumn 2012 presentation touches on the vast potential the new Flex-6000 Radio Series will offer. Some interesting tidbits that come out in the presentation are:

• - Internally the Flex-6000 series will use a form of Linux
  • - Many of the components of the Flex-6000 have been in Government Flex Radio products for years
  • - Flex Radio was an advance recipient of some of the hardware chips, in some cases a year ahead of market
  • - Confirmed is the first release of PowerSDR will be local network (not “remote”), which had been previsouly announced
  • - Protecting use from ourselves from third-party programming issues in a fully open software architecture is an issue Flex Radio is still working through

Every Q & A session something neat things come up – at this presentation the idea of other internet users “listening in” to a Flex-6000 QSO in progress over the internet was brought up. Another cool idea!

Steve
K9ZW

Blog - With Varying Frequency - Amateur Radio Ponderings at http://k9zw.wordpress.com

DOUG51

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:08:52 AM »

Any update when the 6000 is shipping?
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »

Looks like it will be this month.  There are some radios in beta now.  I have seen one post from a user.. not sure if that slipped out or not... unsure if all under NDA.

Doc

KX0O
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »

Looks like it will be this month.  There are some radios in beta now.  I have seen one post from a user.. not sure if that slipped out or not... unsure if all under NDA.

Doc

KX0O

I heard a rumor this last week from Austin that no one will see the first prepaid 'special edition' units until at least Feb-Mar. 2013.  It will be interesting to see what is the truth.

Gene
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »

I am speculating based on some official correspondence as well as some verified rumor.

DOc
KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 07:22:10 AM »

Thanks for the good report Steve !  I too watched the video and found it very interesting .  Speaker forgot his name sounded very sharp to me glad to see he is a VP .  John kb2huk
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »

[...] Some interesting tidbits that come out in the presentation are:

• - Internally the Flex-6000 series will use a form of Linux
  • - Many of the components of the Flex-6000 have been in Government Flex Radio products for years
  • - [...]

[...]

Watched the video -- You guys at Flex Systems crack me up!

My take is that the high-powered hardware (first time I saw a Cray in a PowerPoint since the 80s!) digitizes the entire spectrum and then DSP sorts it out...  Not sure I need to "see" the entire spectrum...  And how will my old TenTec manual tuner handle all that bandwidth coming in?  I will have to get faster on the Cap and Inductor dials...   And "Danger, Will Robinson!"  There is still an operating system in there (Linux)!

But Hey!  The Flex Systems government product was probably a key component for building "The Machine" in the TV series Person of Interest:
 ( http://personofinterest.wikia.com/wiki/The_Machine

Just think, every errant dit or dah I have ever sent is being stored somewhere, along with everything else that ever came down the spectrum!  (It is past 1984, isn't it?)

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Grin
WU5E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »

Well , I took the dive and order a FLEX 6500 looks like it will be deliver in late JAN 13. First time in my 25 year Ham time that i have bought a radio will without playing with it first. I'm a radio Tech for the US Army and play alot with SDR's So right now I'm sleep well at night that I paid $4,318 with shipping added. I hope I don't have to eat my words later.

Jim
WU5E

"keeping the soldiers talking"
somewhere in Afghanistan
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »

"looks like it will be delivered in late JAN 13"

Are you saying that you just now placed an order? How did you order? Did someone at Flex tell you by phone that you should have your 6500 in about 6 weeks even without preorderng it months ago. That would suggest that the first preordered units should be arriving about now.

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 08:00:23 AM »

Don't look for the first "signature addition" Flex 6000s to ship before spring 2013.  Everyone else will be pushed further down the road.

Gene
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »

Perhaps, but WU5E's comments and Flex's busy February hamfest schedule suggest that 6000s may be out soon  ... at least sooner than the Kenwood TS-990 thats become something of a joke.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »

Perhaps, but WU5E's comments and Flex's busy February hamfest schedule suggest that 6000s may be out soon  ... at least sooner than the Kenwood TS-990 thats become something of a joke.

Flex has been on a busy hamfest schedule ever since the announcement of the 6000 series without ever once demonstrating a working radio, so I would not read anything into their February schedule.

Gene
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »

Flex has been on a busy hamfest schedule ever since the announcement of the 6000 series without ever once demonstrating a working radio, so I would not read anything into their February schedule.

Gene

Flex Radio seems to attend a lot of hamfests. So, I agree, I wouldn't let their hamfest schedule lead me to believe that shipment of the 6000 Series Radios  will show up anytime soon. However, one of their guys did post a photo on their Facebook page a few days ago of some rather LARGE boxes with the Flex logo on them. Of course it could be a photo of the 3000 and 5000 radios as they are running their annual Christmas sale. The boxes for the 1500 are pretty small. So, I'd guess what they posted are the larger radios. Everyone on their Facebook page has been guessing what was in the boxes. And of course, no one is telling!
I do hope they start shipping soon and people give some positive reports on the new radios.
Then, I might pick up a 5000 at a good price! ( or even a 3000 if the price is right.......hey! I'm cheap!!!!)
james
WD5GWY
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 06:39:13 AM »

Flex's calendar has shown long gaps with no hamfests in the four years I've followed it.

http://www.flex-radio.com/ shows no hamfests in January and they had none showing in December. According to archive.org, in 2011 their calendar had only one February hamfest. 2010 showed none in February.

In 2013 they will have four events from February 2 thru March 8.  These are scheduled a long time in advance. Doesn't mean the 6000s will be ready. Suggests that Flex thought they would be.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 07:03:15 AM by K0OD » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 12:02:13 PM »

Flex's calendar has shown long gaps with no hamfests in the four years I've followed it.

http://www.flex-radio.com/ shows no hamfests in January and they had none showing in December. According to archive.org, in 2011 their calendar had only one February hamfest. 2010 showed none in February.

In 2013 they will have four events from February 2 thru March 8.  These are scheduled a long time in advance. Doesn't mean the 6000s will be ready. Suggests that Flex thought they would be.

Flex has always had a presence at hamfests if you have been paying attention in the last eight years.

Gene
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: