Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ameritron als-600 vs 80b  (Read 6675 times)
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 04:43:04 AM »

I just made the same comparison and went with the AL-80B. I had an ALS-600 and it worked good when I sold it, but I found a steal on an unopened brand new AL-80B for $1100. and jumped on it.

The ALS-600 is convenient, however unless you are good with a soldering iron, changing finals in an SS amp requires sending it in to someone. I like the fact that I can change a tube easily by myself, and the AL-80B has enough room inside for me to perform basic repairs if needed.

It isn't too much more of a pain to band hop with a tube amp. I just tune up on 2 or 3 different segments on each band and make a list of my settings on the amp and tuner. I find that the settings on the AL-80B and my Ten Tec 238C tuner are very repeatable.

It may cost me an extra 10-15 seconds to change all my settings, but if a DX contact disappears in 15 seconds, chances are I wouldn't have gotten the contact anyway.

73, Todd - KT0DD
WU2M

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 09:57:55 AM »

AL 80B all the way. I had one and sold it for a bigger amp. The 80B is still working and has been trouble free except that the new owner had to clean the relay contacts one time. Not a bad track record in my book. I don't have any first hand knowledge of how the als-600 works but I know of a couple of guys that are on two meters that sent theirs back because they lost output power.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: