Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Being a Pilot for the First Time (ZL9HR)  (Read 1943 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2012, 05:36:46 AM »

This experience has completely restored my respect for the DX community. I have gotten nothing but considerate, thoughtful and polite requests. Everyone who has sent a request - either by posting on eHam or via email has been civil, encouraging and constructive.

Working with the ZL9HR team is a joy. These guys are the best of the best. They have braved the odds of high seas, wind and rain that most of us couln't handle, the cost is enormous, and they have shown how hams can work with Departments of Conservation in a mutually beneficial way. They even got through quarantine in record time. The Pilots are my compadres - and Stan, KH6CG is a great DX-ers "mentor". . .

Final thought - sure - I will do it again - I was hoping to know what "life after Honor Roll" will look like - and this is a fun new aspect of the hobby for me. The first day was very, very stressful, but since then, just fantastic.

I wish the team safe journeys back (early Saturday my time zone), and hope that everyone gets their ATNO - there is still time left, and I see the SSN is starting to rise again.

Safe journeys and Happy Holidays to all.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »

This experience has completely restored my respect for the DX community.

I have been reading your posts for well over a year now and there was never a hint you'd lost respect for the whole DX community.  Actually, you come across as a kid in a candy shop with your various antenna projects and closing in on HR.  What event or events caused you to lose respect for a whole community?

Putting up with jammers, QRMers, and those who make money from QSLing are just a small part of the DX community.  I accept the fact we have a small number of jerks but I have a lot of respect for the lone wolves and the big teams who put these rare entities on the air.

I have never lost respect for the DX community as a whole, just certain operators and operations.  Are you sure that's not what you meant to write?

Chris/NU1O

WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »

Good evening, just wanted to say tnx for your help, finally got my one qso, Im happy, was a bit frustrated but the ZL9HR ops have done a great job in adverse conditions, I think the very low solar activity played a big role in hearing them on the higher bands, agn tnx to you & the great ops, 73 Dan WG5G.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »

This experience has completely restored my respect for the DX community.
What event or events caused you to lose respect for a whole community?

It was a kind of figure of speech. To be honest, I actually have never let the bad apples spoil my fun. Ever.

What being a pilot did was make it clear that the good DX-ers outnumber the hacks and jerks by a factor of 99.99% to .01%

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:21:08 PM by KY6R » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 05:18:16 PM »

Good evening, just wanted to say tnx for your help, finally got my one qso, Im happy, was a bit frustrated but the ZL9HR ops have done a great job in adverse conditions, I think the very low solar activity played a big role in hearing them on the higher bands, agn tnx to you & the great ops, 73 Dan WG5G.

No problem Dan - I always root for you and NU4B who are doing some truly amazing things - with low power and good antennas. I'm a huge fan of that approach!
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »

KY6R, well done!  Thanks for your guidance on propagation, you were right on the money when you answered my question and I followed your guidance to SUCCESS!
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:41:45 PM »

Fantastic. Thanks for the nice note, and I wish you and your family Happy Holidays!

Rich
KY6R
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »

This was my 10th Dxpedition Pilot job and can say I've had worse to deal with, hi.

The majority of ops understood the hardships the team went through, even just to get there, and the propagation was not always smiling on them. Nothing I received made me think "this is the last time I do this work". Quite the opposite, so well done to ALL, chasers and activators alike Smiley

Col, MM0NDX
EU Pilot: ZL9HR
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 11:15:43 AM »

I think I might have been a little worried after all that "scuttlebutt" regarding PT0S.

But that stuff will happen when the most populated parts of the world (ham wise) all have crushingly good propagation alll at the same time.

With ZL9HR - their distance away from all of the most populated places in the world leveled the playing field as did strange propagation and probably the hills they had in their way to some parts of the world.

I actually experienced very little issues in any of the pileups - even they were very well behaved - a testament to how well the ZL9HR ops managed the crowd . . .
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »

Rich, thanks for doing a terrific job of keeping the ham community informed of any events involved with this dxpedition.  I really appreciated your effort.  Also tell the ZL9HR team they did a terrific job on the whole dxpedition, it was a great team effort.  I believe the dxpedition is over and I wish them a safe and uneventful journey home.
Randy AJ4RW  Smiley
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 02:15:26 PM »

Thank you to all who work so hard to make this and all the big DXpeds possible.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »

I echo everyone's nice comments here.  Thank you for making this a successful dxpedition.

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 03:30:59 PM »

And the same from me...... WELL DONE to BOTH of you!

73, Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 04:06:59 AM »

It was fun to send requests to the team - and from all of us pilots, and then somehow - magically - the team seemed to make them happen. I can imagine what a juggling act that is at the radio desks of ZL9HR -  Cheesy
W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »

KY6R....thanks for your work with the DXpedition and like a few others mentioned...I did not let the bad manners of some others mess with my fun...enjoyed every minute of the hunt.  I do have a question you may know the answer for....wondering what the time frame is for the next/last online log update.  Thanks and 73...Sam W8VVE
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: