About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IRC's  (Read 2088 times)
KC2HCY

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »

I read somewhere that the US Post Office was discontinuing the sale of IRC's. My local post office has no information on the subject.
Questions #1. Is it true?
                  2. If it is true, what do I do other than use the ARRL outgoing QSL service?

Any answers or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

Ned
KC2HCY
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »

For most countries, green stamps (2 off $1 bills) will probably suffice. Or use the bureau. There have been some operators who collect and sell IRCs, currency etc and never QSL, so be warned. A certain 7Q7 was famous for it....
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »

Have not heard any such thing. If you find a link, please post it.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:38:43 PM »

>If you find a link, please post it.<

One to the 7Q7 or the USPS stopping selling IRCs? The latter was in the news section here the other week, although they will apparently still redeem IRCs.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:14:17 PM »

I also read it on FoxNews.com, I think 2 days ago.  No big deal for me because I couldn't find an IRC in 4 post offices in two bordering states!  However, it is going to create a problem for some.
NN4ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 03:23:19 AM »

Some interesting PROPOSED changes for the USPS. (not sure if and when they will be reviewed or take effect, see link below for more information)

International Reply Coupons
-----------------------------
Due to low quantity demand by customers, the Postal Service proposes to discontinue the sale of international reply coupons. The Postal Service will continue to exchange (redeem) international reply coupons purchased in foreign countries and presented at U.S. Post Office facilities.

Global Forever Stamp
----------------------
Building on the success of the domestic USPS ForeverĀ® stamp introduced in April, 2007, the Postal Service is proposing to introduce an international Global Forever stamp. Global Forever stamps can be used to mail a 1-ounce letter-size mailpiece anywhere in the world, regardless of when the stamp is purchased and regardless of how prices may change in the future.

More info here:

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2012/10/23/2012-25992/international-mailing-services-proposed-product-and-price-changes#h-13

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 05:30:10 AM »

The IRC will go away, I have not used them in years as the post office has to special order them, they expire and in general are a real pain. 20 years ago when you could go to any post office and pick up what were needed they were great. I have had 0 problems with including $2, sometimes $3 depending on the instructions given but that's few and far between. The post office is coming out with an forever stamp that can be used for mailing envelopes to other countries outside the US, I believe they are $1.05 each and I would suggest buying a good supply of them as they are sure to go up in price.

If you are interested in using them till they vanish here is a link to purchase them on line from USPS which is by far the easiest way to do it.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=S_330900&categoryId=subcatMSS_International
VK2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 02:36:11 AM »

There are several problems with IRC's so I wouldn't mind if they were discontinued.
Since about 10 years the IRC have a limited lifespan (old ones - the small vouchers) were valid for an unlimited time but the newer ones have expiry dates printed on them. Once they expire they are worthless. And as some DX-ers trade in IRC's or stock them for future use the chanses are you get an expired one.
Next problem is the stamp that should be put in the left hand "validation" spot. Although it says "facultative" most post offices here in Australia don't accept IRC's that have not been validated by a stamp when issued.

So 2 one dollar notes  (for Australia it should really be three dollar notes as the postage is $ 2.45 = US$ 2.60) will do nicely for most countries.
NN4ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »

Update on my previous post about the GLOBAL FOREVER Stamp. 

It's been approved and the new USPS Forever international stamp debuts on January 27, 2013.

$1.10 to mail 1 ounce to any country 

It's a FOREVER stamp....you don't need to worry if you have the right rate or if  it increased since you purchased the stamp. 

Al / NN4ZZ
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 12:36:04 PM »

You can buy foreign stamps to put in a SASE to the DX.  Bill Plum sells them.  See the  reviews of his service here on eham.net

John AF5CC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: