Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Ragchewer Log software  (Read 4162 times)
WA8JNM

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »

Do you know of any software logbooks that easily track comments? I think subsequent QSOs with the same OM would be more interesting if I could see my sequence of notes, in order, from prior contacts. That way, we could sort of pick up where we left off...., rather than exchanging the same data yet once again. I really don't care about other features.

Thanks guys,

Dave
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:13:52 AM »

You should be able to do it with a spreadsheet... Mickeysoft Excel or Open Office Spreadsheet.
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:21:56 AM »

I use ACLog by N3FJP.  It brings up the list of previous qso's when you start a new one, in order from most recent to oldest.  But, you have to right click on each record to see the details (including notes).  I've done that occasionally.  If I see a half dozen previous contacts pop up, I'll look at the last couple while the other guy is sending name,rest,qth.

There is one drawback though.  The notes field is fairly limited.  It's only about as long as a tweet.  So you can't write the other guy's biography.

Still, I like the software quite well.

73  AA4N
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:36:43 AM »

I use ACLog by N3FJP.  It brings up the list of previous qso's when you start a new one, in order from most recent to oldest.  But, you have to right click on each record to see the details (including notes).  I've done that occasionally.  If I see a half dozen previous contacts pop up, I'll look at the last couple while the other guy is sending name,rest,qth.

There is one drawback though.  The notes field is fairly limited.  It's only about as long as a tweet.  So you can't write the other guy's biography.

Still, I like the software quite well.

73  AA4N
Hi,

I have a short review and some screenshots of AClog up on my web site if interested...
73's,

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:42:29 AM »

[...] I think subsequent QSOs with the same OM would be more interesting if I could see my sequence of notes, in order, from prior contacts. That way, we could sort of pick up where we left off...., rather than exchanging the same data yet once again. [...]

I have been using the Comments field from HRD for several years now...  The other day I was able to ask someone if they installed the yagi they had been planning a couple of years prior...  and it is great to ask if they are still using their [whatever] rig... or if they have returned from Florida after the winter... 
On a similar note, I believe I am among the worst at just spewing out information about my equipment, QTH, WX, age, work status...  and rarely ask questions about the other OP...  Fortunately, they typically respond to my self-centered comments with their own information, which I am really interested in... 
But I am trying to get in the habit of asking a question at the end of each exchange, while keeping it simple because the other OP may not be expecting it...  I am interested in others' situations and what they are up to -- other hobbies, etc....

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Grin
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »

RST is always not redundant.
Only name and QTH, may be, Okay.

But when I know already a lot of things another guy told me 3 years ago, (or I heard by just listening to his rag chew on the band) he feels embarrassed when he doesn't remember me.

Especially because everybody else knows who PA0BLAH is.

So best thing is not to use that recorded information and hence not record it at all. Above that hams are always announcing 100% of their available time what they are GOING to do. Putting up a yagi. homebuilding a transceiver, learning Morse code, designing with PICs, going for the ridiculously degraded Extra codeless and so on, as you can read here in the case of learning Morse code on a regular basis. Never heard something again of all those guys , advertising here their plans, (cuz I don't watch the SSB bandsections)

So asking, "did you realise your plans such and so you announced 2 years ago in our QSO with me" is really a bad idea. It gives instantaneous signal reports of 339 heavy QSB, sri cuagn, pse qrt and when that is impossible he makes excuse for his mother in law just arriving ..
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »

Bob,

What you say makes sense.
If you know too much about the other person, sometimes the QSO goes from conversation to interrogation.
Sometimes it is better to put on the humility cap and say one is suffering from oldtimers disease, than seem like a computer memory bank.

If the person is really interesting, you will probably remember them anyway.
And if you forget anything you can always call the relevant government agency and ask them for a transcript of your past conversations.

73 - Rob
WA8JNM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »

I entirely disagree.

My whole experience in life is that relationships are built by being interested in the other guy. The thought that by doing so constitutes "interrogation" or wolud be embarrassing to him, is foolish to me. I honestly have only limited interest in the WX. On the other hand, it's fun to know what the OM is running. If I knew his job in a prior QSO, I could follow up on that. Or his family. Or more details about the travels he has made. Or follow up on different rigs or antennas I learned about last time. Or more about other hobbies we may have in common. It would help get away from the RST, name, QTH, 73, routine, don't you think? What we are really talking about is how to make a friend.

Dave
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »

I entirely disagree.

My whole experience in life is that relationships are built by being interested in the other guy. The thought that by doing so constitutes "interrogation" or wolud be embarrassing to him, is foolish to me. I honestly have only limited interest in the WX. On the other hand, it's fun to know what the OM is running. If I knew his job in a prior QSO, I could follow up on that. Or his family. Or more details about the travels he has made. Or follow up on different rigs or antennas I learned about last time. Or more about other hobbies we may have in common. It would help get away from the RST, name, QTH, 73, routine, don't you think? What we are really talking about is how to make a friend.

Dave

I would never counsel anyone on how to make friends or establish relationships.
It may not be obvious, but this poster (Stayvertical) is actually an AI computer program, hence the stilted and over formal replies.

(For those who are old enough to remember)

"What are you doing Dave?"

73 - RoB
WA8JNM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »

Well said, Hal. :-)
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »

I would never counsel anyone on how to make friends or establish relationships.
It may not be obvious, but this poster (Stayvertical) is actually an AI computer program, hence the stilted and over formal replies.

(For those who are old enough to remember)

"What are you doing Dave?"

73 - RoB

Oops a bug. He is right, I know because I programmed him in Perl.

Bob
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »

JNM:  I agree with you.  After the usual opening signal report, name and weather (!) the only way to start a conversation is to ask questions of the other guy or start talking about yourself.  I hardly call that "interrogation!"
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 01:22:35 AM »

JNM:  I agree with you.  After the usual opening signal report, name and weather (!) the only way to start a conversation is to ask questions of the other guy or start talking about yourself.  I hardly call that "interrogation!"

Yes, just the way we are talking here on this website, Al.

That makes sense, we don't keep records of each other. (The website does, and shows, when you hide behind a nickname, your longitude, Stayvertical,  supposing you are using to sleep in the middle of your sleeptime, at around 3 to 4 o'clock in the morning.)

I am not going to ask other hams "How do you do?"
, just because I am not interested in the lie answer "Good, and how are you?"

When somebody asks  this question, the Stayvertical programmed answer will be: "Very good, or do you really like to know it?"

Bob

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:28:33 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
WA8JNM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 04:08:03 AM »

Back on topic:

W5UXH suggested to me offline that Logic 9 may provide this feature. He also gave me a description, and screenshots, of how he created a spreadsheet containing all QSOs. The spreadsheet has a column that links to a Word document unique for each worked call (i.e. W9ZZZ.doc.) At the beginning of a QSO, he does a quick search for the call. Then, he clicks on the Word link for the Word documents which retains all notes of prior QSOs with that OM. Looks good to me.

Thanks, Chuck.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 05:01:24 AM »

Back on topic:

A RRC (real rag chewer) never feels bound to some topic.

It is just like the young well breasted, pretty, short skirted, high heeled secretary was going to sit on my lap and says
"Let's  talk about the first thing that pops up"

Bob
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:10:23 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: