Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question! What if someone....... - Part 1  (Read 2491 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »

Here's a question for you all that I ask with frustration!

This isn't gonna be anything new ,but it's evident the problem persists and seems to get worse with every old and middle aged toad that seems to rebel to the "Amateur Code of Conduct" as if he's looking to turn into the prince everyone loves, or HATES to love.

I was listening to 40 meters the other day looking to connect to a friend. He was already in QSO with someone so as I waited my turn to jump in when we were RUDELY interrupted by an individual that quickly turned into a group circus of monkeys playing monkey do. This isn't the first time for this one particularly operator as he's notorious for such a narcissistic and immature selfish behavior.

So here's the questions!

What would you do if you were enjoying a frequency lets say on 40 meters early evening running 1300 watts and a loop sure that all can hear you for 500+ miles away when some JERK and his NET JACK ASS'S decide their gonna take over just by keying up and starting a QSO hoping you just leave like some red headed step child?

When you usually pay no mind just to be the mature one and spin the VFO thinking "remember the days when hams courteously broke in and asked if......" instead of having to tell them to bug off and fight for a frequency that you rightfully had before them do you stand your ground and video the typical common LID attitude of net groups and blast their call signs and actions all over YouTube?

What say you!

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »

Sorry that happened to you. This is one reason I avoid the phone portion of most bands. It also brings up a good question,"Why do nets even exist?" I have yet to figure that out. Wouldn`t it be great to abolish them and return the phone bands to casual operation? There`s always the warc bands and cw. I understand your position,nobody wants to start an argument on the air,I wouldn`t either.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »

If you can't maintain the QSO and the other parties won't leave you alone, I think your best option is to just turn the dial and QSY somewhere else. Confronting them (and, for that matter, making online posts like this) is exactly the attention they are looking for.

It does make me think that it would be nice to designate a portion of each band for rag chews and a portion for DXing/contesting, even if by gentlemen's agreement (not that these folks would be considered gentlemen).
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:10 PM »

If you can't maintain the QSO and the other parties won't leave you alone, I think your best option is to just turn the dial and QSY somewhere else. Confronting them (and, for that matter, making online posts like this) is exactly the attention they are looking for.

It does make me think that it would be nice to designate a portion of each band for rag chews and a portion for DXing/contesting, even if by gentlemen's agreement (not that these folks would be considered gentlemen).

Problem with that and everything else today in society is fear of confronting situations like this as if it's gonna go away or is the answer.

It's just like the problem we have in schools bullying ,but ignoring that isn't stopping kids ,or people from killing themselves and others. So we confront the problem so there could be a solution and that's why I'm posting this.

The usual response is.....just spin the VFO, but since that's become the norm so has jack ass attitudes like what is displayed on the bands. Just like those who won't confront the issue of our "Constitutional Rights" being stripped by government which too is becoming increasingly worse. All because it's easier to ignore the problems!

In similarity the "Gentlemen Band Plan Agreement" is something that's being ignored and is one of the only reasons that has separated our selves from the Citizens Band radio spectrum. If you ignore it then you've let those morons win and the laughs on you. Then it would be too late to turns things around.

Now people might say "well, that's freedom of speech" to say what you want on the air ,or act like a bunch of ass's. That's all well in fine ,but that doesn't mean we have to act uncivil, immature, and uneducated with a ghetto attitude you find else where. We also can no longer separate ourselves from C.B. ,or anything else in society to claiming what we have for over 100 years as "Ambassadors of Good Will To Others". This is what people respect about the hobby and is why I became a ham. Not to try to be some bad ass and advocate the exact opposite.

All I'm saying is I'd wish more people would speak their mind and support the operator that's being harassed and not treated fairly by a NET group ,or individual that does the wrong thing.

I've already placed a video on YouTube of one LID that jammed me on a QSO and I have no regrets ,because he'll think twice about doing that to anyone again.

By the time I got back to the states the video was the talk of the Tri-State all over the repeaters and on HF. Yes! It was a New York guy that I caught on video and had no problem if he wanted to pay me a visit. Turned out that he had a history of doing  this to others, but no one said anything to him. people that knew him had no choice ,but to agree with the video facts and was shamed by his own actions. I think the shame taught him a lesson and he'll think twice before disrespecting others and himself.

73!
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 08:32:41 PM »

What say you!

I say that life has proven over and over again that "turning the other cheek" never accomplished anything other than getting it slapped twice as hard as the first one!  No doubt the "P C types" will argue that but I haven't seen their method accomplish much either.
'Course, it makes little difference to me 'cause I'm rarely on the air anyway.  I get my enjoyment messin' with the stuff, not talking on it.
Tom
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »

What say you!

I say that life has proven over and over again that "turning the other cheek" never accomplished anything other than getting it slapped twice as hard as the first one!  No doubt the "P C types" will argue that but I haven't seen their method accomplish much either.
'Course, it makes little difference to me 'cause I'm rarely on the air anyway.  I get my enjoyment messin' with the stuff, not talking on it.
Tom

Exactly Right!!

I mess around building and experimenting ,but when I wanna get on the air to test it and this sought of thing happens where I finally get a clear frequency after waiting so long it'll piss someone off to high heaven when some idiot impedes on my opportunity.

Ah Ah!!

73!
KK4MYT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 11:10:47 AM »

I am new to being licenced. The biggest lesson learned for me in the tech licence test is be courteous and gentlemanly on the air. I see this type post all the time. Why should we have to turn another cheek. Can't we report the violating call signs. Seems it shouldnt have to come to that but in this day and age thats what it takes. We all got our licences so we didnt have to listen to CB. Why we allowing the things clearly against rules and regs to persist?

Jason Boivin
KK4MYT
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »

I am new to being licenced. The biggest lesson learned for me in the tech licence test is be courteous and gentlemanly on the air. I see this type post all the time. Why should we have to turn another cheek. Can't we report the violating call signs. Seems it shouldnt have to come to that but in this day and age thats what it takes. We all got our licences so we didnt have to listen to CB. Why we allowing the things clearly against rules and regs to persist?

Jason Boivin
KK4MYT

That's a good question Jason,

I refuse to allow pig headed narcissist to plague this hobby with crap nonsense attitudes. Unfortunately the attitudes are coming from Nets more than individuals. The attitude of monopolizing a frequency is becoming ever more of a problem today.

The courteous act of waiting till a QSO is over with or breaking in respectfully to inquire if a two person QSO would consider QSY'ing is almost gone. This was the right thing to do at one time. Now they think they own a frequency on that day/night and time. No one owns a frequency at all not will ever. A single op calling CQ is usually the victim!

The group of people that go along with it are the brainless type that are selfish and can't hold an intelligent QSO because they have insecurity issues. They rather just wait 15 minutes for their turn to give a one minutes weather report and "dahhhhh" type dribble.

The once OO's that would help enforce good prosperity are almost gone and FCC has nothing to do with the courteous aspect of the hobby.

It is the responsibility if we as a whole in order to preserve the good nature and intelligence aspect of the hobby to say something when you hear something negative being done. Even if you've been with a NET group for a while or not.

One should not have to fear retribution from another ham or group. You have a whole world at the PTT button to associate yourself with better people. Break in when you hear a NET controller ,or individual doing the wrong thing and say something. You don't have to be belligerent about it but be sensible and mature about your opinion.

Be the one to set the good example and it will follow you!

73!

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »

QSY 15 or 20.  that slop was happening in the 70s when I was a novice.  them good ol' boys, hail, they's way too drunked up to turn the knob, heh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: