Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W8JI Home page is AWESOME!  (Read 7217 times)
N0AH

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:20:06 AM »

I have visited this page many times- thx for all of the hard work and information- The low band sections on loops is very useful- but this page competes with the ARRL's annual Hand Book and ON4UN books- sorry for thr Past Tom- you really are an amazing asset-thx for all your help on the website-

73  Paul  N0AH Cool
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 02:06:17 PM »

I agree

W8JI is one  of the great technical gurus  in ham radio.

There are many silent experts out there who think they good but are unwilling to put their money where their mouth is. Tom publishes information that can be peer reviewed, yet we get a lot of these big mouth know everything experts wanting to be critical about every little mistake he makes just so they can try  and shoot him down.

What is amusing is that Tom clearly states that his web pages are there to be peer reviewed, yet  the so called ""experts"" who are always critical of Tom never actually email or correct or add to his excellent web page resource to make it better.  What is also amusing is that many of these so called experts are supposed to be  expert engineers who have been trained in the process of peer review. There is not one science profession that does not subject its members to this process of peer review and publishing review, yet all we ever get from the internet big mouth experts is hot air and wanting to pick endless fights. They can never give references for the basis of their arguments yet Toms information is their for all too see, and if you ask he will steer you to the right reference texts. Its  easy going through life being negative nit picker  and deliver nothing to  making ham radio better.

If all these other negative big mouth  experts put together a web page that can peer reviewed I will have some respect for them. However you cant find their web pages can you now?

There also some other web pages like GM3SEK and VK1OD both which are excellent technical references, there may be others. However
W8JI, GM3SEK, W9CF and VK1OD are promoting our understanding of the science of ham radio. These guys are not the big mouth internet google experts that you hear on the air  talking dribble day in day out. 

It is such relief coming off 40 meters listening to garbage all day about peoples ham radio shopping lists, and then going to Toms web page for brain food. These days on ham radio you judged to be experts by the amount of time you spend on google doing research on what you  have bought for your ham station and what you are going to buy in the future. Yup these are the "technical" heroes  of the new hams, the shopping experts! If you buy all the right things for your station and can rattle off shopping web pages all day you an expert!

We need people like Tom writing and reviewing the ARRL Handbook, there is not a year that goes  by and we see the same technical nonsense and errors published in the ARRL handbook every Year. I wish Tom would write a book  like the  now defunct Radio Handbook, it certainly would make a great reference.

Besides anyone who can build station like Tom deserves a lot of praise. I look forward to hearing his curtain on the air one day.

Without guys like Tom in our ranks we just going to become a bunch of CBérs very fast. This is already happening with the ham radio shopping experts.

Tom is a ham radio technical super hero!
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:53:17 PM »

W8JI is one  of the great technical gurus  in ham radio. ... Tom is a ham radio technical super hero!

Not enough people appreciate that! There's not many things that Tom says that you can find fault with. (Please excuse my gross understatement).

When Tom dies, someone will write a best-selling book about him and his works, and if done done by a competent person, it will far surpass any ham publication that was ever (or will be) published.

N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:28:40 AM »

Yay for Tom!

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
W6MQI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »

I have visited this page many times- thx for all of the hard work and information- The low band sections on loops is very useful- but this page competes with the ARRL's annual Hand Book and ON4UN books- sorry for thr Past Tom- you really are an amazing asset-thx for all your help on the website-

73  Paul  N0AH Cool

Yep Tom has a very informative site that's why I took his advice and fed my Tennadyne LP like Tom describes under [Baluns on Log Periodic Antennas] I'm probably the only owner of Tennadyne that has ever done this feed method. Tom if you read this the LP is working great thanks.

73 Dave
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 01:15:29 AM »

IMHO, Tom Rausch W8JI is a real tell it like it is Antenna Guru.
I have learned a lot from his posts here and at QRZ, and from reading his webpage.

K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 07:56:25 AM »

Amen. Tom's site is a great resource for anyone who wants to know how things really work.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:42:03 AM »

I was just looking at Tom's page on longwave Non-Directional Beacons last night. Best resource I've found on their technical aspects. Explains why no two of them seem to look the same on my scope. Smiley

http://www.w8ji.com/ndb%20beacon%20fish%20buoy%20net%20beacons.htm
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »

k0BT said it well. Great site. A serious antenna guru. Right up there with LB Cebik or Bill Orr for antenna smarts.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »

I think that one thing that people overlook about Tom Rauch is that he has an extraordinary ability --and motivation-- to communicate his vast knowledge and thoughts to others.

I have know Tom for many years, though we haven't really communicated much in a long time. I will say one thing: radio and electronics simply consumes him. I think that's all he mainly thinks about. His wife told my wife that many years ago, and that has certainly been my observation. (And I'm glad for that. :-) That's why he knows so much.

And he tests and measures about everything. How many of us do that?

It's one thing to have a broad range of technical expertise. It's another thing to be able to share it, to get your point across in a clear manner that draws us in, makes perfect sense, and makes us sit up in our chairs and take notice, open our eyes wide, and say "WOW!". Probably, there are a few others like Tom, but we just don't know about them for one reason or another.

Another person I admire for his technical knowledge is Owen Duffy, VK1OD (vk1od.net). He has an amazing repertoire of knowledge in a number of fields, not just radio/electronics. I am in awe of both Owen and Tom. Too bad Owen left the forums because of a few unkind things people said to him.

But there are other really sharp people on the forums. And when I see a post from them, I know that it is accurate.

I just wish I had their energy.

KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »

I think that one thing that people overlook about Tom Rauch is that he has an extraordinary ability --and motivation-- to communicate his vast knowledge and thoughts to others.

I have know Tom for many years, though we haven't really communicated much in a long time. I will say one thing: radio and electronics simply consumes him. I think that's all he mainly thinks about. His wife told my wife that many years ago, and that has certainly been my observation. (And I'm glad for that. :-) That's why he knows so much.

And he tests and measures about everything. How many of us do that?

It's one thing to have a broad range of technical expertise. It's another thing to be able to share it, to get your point across in a clear manner that draws us in, makes perfect sense, and makes us sit up in our chairs and take notice, open our eyes wide, and say "WOW!". Probably, there are a few others like Tom, but we just don't know about them for one reason or another.

Another person I admire for his technical knowledge is Owen Duffy, VK1OD (vk1od.net). He has an amazing repertoire of knowledge in a number of fields, not just radio/electronics. I am in awe of both Owen and Tom. Too bad Owen left the forums because of a few unkind things people said to him.

But there are other really sharp people on the forums. And when I see a post from them, I know that it is accurate.

I just wish I had their energy.
Yes, the loss of Owen Duffy, VK1OD was felt by many.
Some people do not like conflict, and even though they are mentally equipped to do battle with their critics, and win, they choose not to. The result is a great loss of knowledge to the Ham Radio Community. All because of some Internet Troll!

W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »

I would never have been able to get my 811H running correctly if not for all the patience and time Tom spent.

A true Elmer, Thanks.

Sam
W9KDX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: