Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New(ish) ham getting into 10 meters and down  (Read 9274 times)
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »

What makes the 718 a nicer contesting rig than the 706?

John AF5CC
KC2YWE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »

I suspect the DSP will come in handy. I think the 706MKII we have can be fitted with the same one, but the 718 (at least recent ones) come with it standard. The MKIIG comes with it as well, but we don't have it. There's actually a pretty nice automatic notch filter in it. According to the QST reviews, the receiver performance is nearly identical. The guts are virtually the same, there's no doubt about it, but ergonomically a bigger rig is a bit nicer if you're not mobile. A bunch of little stuff - RIT is its own knob, there's a keypad, more info on the screen, etc.

I ran the November SS with the 706, and it did just fine, but I was fighting a lot of QRM/N that I feel like I could get rid of now. We'll see in a few days!
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 08:22:33 PM »

Unless the 718 has a narrow filter in it that the 706MKII doesn't, it won't do anything additional to fight QRM. The DSP in the lower level Icom's is nothing to write home about.  It won't make an uncopyable signal into one that you could copy. Also, the 706MKII has the RIT on its own knob. I have a 706 original and would definitely take it over a 718, if nothing else because it has 6m and 2m on it.

John AF5CC
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: