Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IRCs are HISTORY  (Read 2003 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »

Well, if the ham you need a QSL card from does not have PayPal, I guess you will have to trust your green stamps to his postal people from now on.  (Especially if he does not use LOTW.)

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?371180-Outbound-International-Reply-Coupons-Discontinued

I guess the USPS thinks that we are not important enough to continue sales of IRCs. Angry

Between ARRL's broken LOTW and no more IRCs, QSLs are going to get even tougher, huh Huh

73, Gene AF3Y
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »

I did send a comment to the USPS, probably the only one they got.  Grin
But I doubt hams would generate enough interest to continue with PayPal getting to be more common. I have found a $2.00 bill is a bit thinner than 2 ones (and we may lose the one dollar bill  Huh). But you can still order the IRCs so get your supply now. I've got a small supply. In truth the only time I have been using them has been to Russia on the advise of Russian hams.

The vast majority of what I need is expedition type operations so everything else can go by the buro or PayPal. PayPal is really convenient especially with something like Club Log. You upload your log. Club Log checks your info with the expedition log. If its a match Club Log fill in the blanks, a couple more clicks and you wait for your QSL card. Its worth 3, 4, or 5 bucks just for the convenience. No stamps, no envelope, no QSL card, no green stamps (or IRC) to send. You don't even have to walk out to the mailbox. If that's not worth 5 bucks I don't know what is.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:24:03 AM »

All DXpeditions should just go LoTW. Leave QSL cards for those who want to send cash through the mail, do OQRS or wait on the bureau.
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »

They are on their way out but you can still get them. I have not used them in years, maybe decades and have no problem using green stamps plus it's cheaper. If you want them here is the link to buy direct from USPS.
https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=S_330900&categoryId=subcatMSS_International

They have come out with a forever stamp that can be used for sending mail out of country, it's $1.05 and you might want to stock up before the cost of overseas postage goes up, again.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 12:53:26 PM »

Just bought a stack of 'em. Some DX stations request ONLY IRCs.

- 73, Steve (WX2S)

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »

- 73, Steve (WX2S)

And the secondary market for IRCs has been born.  We won't run out of them...

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 02:19:27 PM »

They have come out with a forever stamp that can be used for sending mail out of country, it's $1.05 and you might want to stock up before the cost of overseas postage goes up, again.

I don't think there is currently an international Forever Stamp, but there will be one available next month when international postage goes up to $1.10. I plan on buying many.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 02:22:00 PM by N7SMI » Logged
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »

I was going to buy one on-line to today to use with a Russian QSL manager for a 5B4 station I worked on 30m (new band country).  The USPS wanted $1.45 for shipping?  This would fit in a regular envelope!  I guess I will head to the post office on Monday instead and hopefully find Dennis as he is the only one there who knows what they are-and he is a Northern Illinois University Grad like myself!

Who would have thought my Alma Mater would be in the Orange Bowl!  GO Huskies!

John AF5CC
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »

I don't think there is currently an international Forever Stamp, but there will be one available next month when international postage goes up to $1.10. I plan on buying many.

That could be, I thought my guy at the post office said he would have them 12/1 but could be the first of the year.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 07:25:21 PM »

- 73, Steve (WX2S)

And the secondary market for IRCs has been born.  We won't run out of them...

Problem is you'll need to send 2 of 'em to some stations since they complain that an IRC from EU won't be exchanged for enough postage to NA.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 07:26:46 PM »

Correct, not available now.

I bought a 100 pack of USA forevers from Costco with their usual 25c discount, before the increase too. Saved myself $1.25 total. I'm hoping Costco will carry the international forevers with the same discount.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 11:46:53 PM »

They are on their way out but you can still get them. I have not used them in years, maybe decades and have no problem using green stamps plus it's cheaper. If you want them here is the link to buy direct from USPS.
https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=S_330900&categoryId=subcatMSS_International

I would not tie up a lot of money in "Forever" stamps. If the USPS files bankruptcy they will be able to reorganize and write down a lot of liabilities just like all corporations do.  Those "Forever" stamps are like a gift card at a retail store, or frequent flier miles.  They are only good for as long as the USPS is solvent which may not be a very long time. I actually think they are a way to temporarily increase cash flow to postpone the day of reckoning for a short time.  IOW, they are a gimmick.

Chris/NU1O

AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 07:57:35 PM »

If the post office is broke, why in the heck did they ever come out with forever stamps?  Don't they realize they are losing money with them?  I buy some for 45 cents and use them when postage goes to 46 cents.  They are losing a cent a letter then.  No wonder our country is so broke, those in charge have no economic common sense.

John AF5CC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: