Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile 2.5k narrow band?  (Read 2058 times)
KF5SBM

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »

Hi there, I'm apart of ARES as well as a public safety employee and I have frequencies that require the 2.5k step (ie VCALL - 155.7525) an I would like my mobile to be able to tune to them. I've been looking at the Kenwood D710A but it, and every other mobile I've look at, only go to 5k.  I was wondering if A) It could still be programmed or modified to the 2.5 step, or B) If there is another mobile rig with a remote face that has the 2.5 capability.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Tyler
KF5SBM
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »

Is this just for "listening" to those frequencies, or do you need to transmit on them also?
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 11:32:26 AM »

You can manually enter the frequency on the Kenwood TM-V71/TM-D710 if you change one of the PF buttons on the mike to ENTER. Also you can program them into memories using the Kenwood MCP software.
KF5SBM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:35:32 PM »

Mostly listening but need the TX ability sometimes. As long as I can manually enter or program it via software im happy. Thank you.
 Smiley
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 04:12:02 AM »

Tyler,

Be careful.  The D710 is a peice of ham equipment and is NOT type accepted for other Land Mobile services.  Listening i one thing, but if you intend to transmit, be sure you have a peice of type-accepted equipment, or you will jeopardize any/all of your licenses.

Don, K2DC
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:11:20 AM »

Tyler,

Be careful.  The D710 is a peice of ham equipment and is NOT type accepted for other Land Mobile services.  Listening i one thing, but if you intend to transmit, be sure you have a peice of type-accepted equipment, or you will jeopardize any/all of your licenses.

Don, K2DC

Yeah, that's what I was driving at.  For "listening," you can use ham gear okay (like the Kenwood D710).  For transmitting, you cannot.  At all.

They all make LMRS FM VHF-UHF rigs with 2.5 kHz channel spacing, but they're not "ham" rigs.  They can lawfully be used on the ham bands, of course.  I don't recall any with detachable front panels, though; and most have a limited number of memories (like 8 or 16 or something, but not hundreds like ham rigs often do).
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:08 AM »

The FCC has things divided into "services", and likes to keep them divided.
As an amateur, you can convert a Land Mobile service radio for use in the amateur bands and use it.  You may not, however, convert an amateur radio for transmitting in the Land Mobile service.
You will find it easier to just have separate radios... the easy solution!
73s.

-Mike.
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:23 AM »

Look at

http://wouxun.us/
also mtc for the 920

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 05:17:49 AM »

and most have a limited number of memories (like 8 or 16 or something, but not hundreds like ham rigs

Many of them have considerable channel capacity these days.  The analog Spectra, for example, is usually 128 modes (channels) unless the "hand-held" control head is used (then 99 channels) and I think the Astro Spectra has considerably more capacity than that.  Note:  The analog Spectra is no longer certified for part 90 services due to non-compliance with new narrow band requirements although the Astro is narrow band capable.  The LCS and XTR series are also narrow band capable radios available with rather large channel capacity.  So, many of the "older" commercial radios will indeed hold all the ham channels that anyone could want and it is permissible to use any/all of them on the ham band as well.  An added advantage of the radios mentioned is that the choice of wide or narrow band operation is available on a "per channel" basis so wide ham channels and narrow LMR channels can be mixed in the same radio.
Tom
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:20:47 AM by WB6DGN » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: