Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AZDEN PCS 4000  (Read 1338 times)
KK4MYT

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2012, 05:43:55 AM »

I have this radio I bought off ebay. Seller said he was selling for a SK family. Anyway the radio didnt come with a power cord so I made one and it works great. The issue I have with the radio is that the battery isnt charged. The instruction manual says if this happens all you have to do is open the unit up and unplug a plug inside and plug in the supplied cable and hook that cable to 12volts for 4 hours. So I dont have that cable. I could make one if I knew which pins where pos and neg. Anyone own this radio if you could help me out or if some one knows where I could purchase that cable. Thanks

Jason
KK4MYT
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:18:34 AM »

Easy enough to figure out.   start at the battery  and trace the  plus side back to the   connection..
apply the 12 v  plus t the plus side of the battery  pin..
KK4MYT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »

I am thinking easier than that. Unplug the plug in the instructions and just apply 12v directly to the battery via alligator clips.
KK4MYT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »

Second thought bad idea. The battery says 3.6v. Putting 12 direct to it. I will be testing the smoke detector.

Got to love Google. I did a google search for this problem. I found the answer on QRZ.com.
Solved the problem. Working great now. Able to program in the local repeaters and they actually stay now.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:40:53 PM by KK4MYT » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 02:01:22 PM »

As I recall (its been many years since I had a PCS4000), the memory battery is recharged any time 12VDC power is applied to the radio. For that reason you need to keep power applied all the time if you want to prevent the battery from running down and clearing the memories. This was not a problem in a mobile because the radio always had 12V applied from the car battery, even if the radio was turned off. It can become a problem in a home station if you turn off the DC power supply.

If the battery is very old, it may not hold a charge for very long. After a while they need to be replaced.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: