Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OLIVIA-FLDIGI receive help request  (Read 4059 times)
W6TGE

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »

I installed the current FLDIGI for Windows...3.21.63... and have it configured OK. I can get PSK31 on it. I do admit that I like Digipan's Multi function as you do not need to click a signal from the waterfall.

However, all I want to do is see if I can receive Olivia. I just see noise in the waterfall for Olivia freqs. I keep seeing a bunch of them posted and have looked from 14072 to 14075, and 14107.5. I have tried 8/250, 16/500 and 32/1000. I keep hearing that this mode is so good that you can decode sigs without even seeing them on the waterfall...GREAT!

However, that leads me to my questions.

Which freq/mode do I start with and, if you can not even see the sig on the waterfall, then how do you click on something like I do on PSK31? Is the sig so wide that you do not even have to click it?

Thank you all. I am OK on PSK31 and JT65-HF, but I am getting nowhere on OLIVIA.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »

You will usually find Olivia at night on 40 & 75M.

Most ops will run 8/500. I prefer to "center" at 1000hz audio frequency. Much lower and your radio won't produce all of the sound.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:18:40 PM »

Internationally, look around 14.073 (dial USB) audio offset around 1000hz. Olivia 16/500 is used quite a bit on this frequency.
Also, 14.106 (dial USB) audio offset 1500Hz. Olivia 32/1000 is used on this frequency.
You will also find it on 14.105 with similar offset and mode to that used on 14.106
Look for Olivia 32/1000 on 14.106 when the europeans are waking up in the morning.

Domestically, it is used on various frequencies.

Keep in mind that Olivia is used far far less than PSK31, by orders of magnitude.
You will have to be patient and wait for activity.
I would set my dial to 14.106, centre the waterfall audio on 1500Hz, set Olivia for 32/1000 and go make a spice rack.
You will see something come in eventually, and then you can get a feel for the mode.

Alternatively, if you have a ham buddy on PSK31, a qsy and change to Olivia will give you some experience with this mode.
I use it quite a lot, and it far exceeds PSK31 performance, but at the cost of bandwidth (and speed to some extent).

Olivia is a niche mode, you will not hear it all the time, unlike PSK31, but for qrp and great copy, it is excellent.
Good luck and hunting, I hope you bag an Olivia qso soon.

73 - Rob
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:22:50 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:41:39 AM »

I installed the current FLDIGI for Windows...3.21.63... and have it configured OK. I can get PSK31 on it. I do admit that I like Digipan's Multi function as you do not need to click a signal from the waterfall.

However, all I want to do is see if I can receive Olivia. I just see noise in the waterfall for Olivia freqs. I keep seeing a bunch of them posted and have looked from 14072 to 14075, and 14107.5. I have tried 8/250, 16/500 and 32/1000. I keep hearing that this mode is so good that you can decode sigs without even seeing them on the waterfall...GREAT!

However, that leads me to my questions.

Which freq/mode do I start with and, if you can not even see the sig on the waterfall, then how do you click on something like I do on PSK31? Is the sig so wide that you do not even have to click it?

Thank you all. I am OK on PSK31 and JT65-HF, but I am getting nowhere on OLIVIA.

Olivia can be a pill about selecting the right rate being used. Also know that Domino sounds similar as Contestia is similar too so make sure it is actually a Olivia signal.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »

Have you called CQ?  Huh  There may be other Hams out there who also are listening for activity.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »

In addition to finding the common Olivia "watering holes," be sure to activate RXID when you're listening for Olivia.  Most experienced Olivia ops transmit a "TXID" at the beginning of each transmission that signals the mode they're using.  If you have "RXID" activated then fldigi will automatically change your mode and frequency to coincide with that of the other station.  Once you've actually established contact with a station you should switch your RXID off so that still another station using TXID doesn't draw you off frequency or change your mode.  In fact, unless you're running PSK31 or RTTY, it's always a good idea to use TXID and RXID.  RTTY and PSK31 are readily recognizable by their sound patterns so there's nothing to be gained by using TXID/RXID.

It's always a good idea when calling CQ to make sure your TXID is turned on. 

You can vary the frequencies where you want your RXID to respond when you configure fldigi.
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 01:48:55 PM »

Thank you all for your help.

I can not call CQ as I can not transmit...yet. I need to put my antenna(s) back up. I tried Digital to see if I could hear/decode anything. I hung a 10M dipole in my room in an "L" and I brought my TS940SAT up to be near my computer and tried an "air interface" using a mic. I heard/decoded PSK31 OK with Digipan and then tried JT65-HF. JT65 worked so well, that I got out my Rig Mic (MC85) and tried to xmit. Got answer on first CQ and went on to log JA, and even KL8DX in Denali Nat'l Park. So, I wanted to see if I could "decode" Olivia. I installed Fldigi and it too can decode PSK31, but I have not been able to find Olivia activity.

I WILL try these suggestions, but I do not need a spice rack!  :-) I can go out in the garage and perhaps play with the table saw.

When I check Hamspots, I see 14074.79 so was confused as to where to tune!
Thank you all again and I can not wait to get my R5 back up. We moved here from CA 18 years ago and my antennas are still packed. I actually unpacked my R5, but need to run the coax.

'73,
Dave
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »

When I check Hamspots, I see 14074.79 so was confused as to where to tune!

Tune to 14073.000 and click to 1790  on the waterfall.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 05:56:14 PM »

FWIW --

I have rarely decoded an Olivia transmission that I couldn't hear, or see on the waterfall.  The mode is impressive -- it gives 100% copy on fading and weak signals -- but you can usually _see_ and _hear_ that there's a signal in the passband.

It's too slow for me to enjoy.  I can type a little faster than PSK31 can handle.  But I can type a _lot_ faster than Olivia, and I hate waiting for it to catch up to me.

.             Charles
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:55:05 PM »

Thanks again. OK on the tuning, and I did d/l a wav file and saw that Olivia was very slow!
KT4EP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 07:08:10 AM »

Some of the Olivia modes are a little faster.   Abbreviation helps, such as ur for your, no need for "and" use the & etc.   I've had some amazing QSOs with Olivia including not being able to see the other stations signal on the waterfall.    Make sure to turn your "squelch" function on the software, off. or you might miss the signal all together, and use the RSID function, too.
cuon the waterfall
KT4EP
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »

Thanks again...

I will see what I can find! I agree that it will help when I can transmit and perhaps wake up some stations. 2M SSB was like that. Everyone just listening!  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: