Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuner ?  (Read 5346 times)
KI4HBX

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:47:23 PM »

I have decided to get a new Kenwood TS-590s and would like to know what would be a good Antenna Tuner to get for it? I will be using some sort of wire antenna G5rv, OCF Dipole, or a regular center fed etc.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:40:51 PM »

It should tune a G5RV with its built in tuner.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 07:32:19 PM »

The internal tuner may not tune every band on the G5RV. Most internal tuners can handle a 3:1 SWR. If the SWR is above that it will simply not tune the antenna. The tuner in my FT-950 is good to about 4:1, anything after that forget it.

WA4NJY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 03:52:54 AM »

The LDG KT-100 would be my choice.  Double check that it works with the 590.

Ed
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:57:00 AM »

The internal tuner may not tune every band on the G5RV. Most internal tuners can handle a 3:1 SWR. If the SWR is above that it will simply not tune the antenna. The tuner in my FT-950 is good to about 4:1, anything after that forget it.

The tuner in my 570 will handle up to 5 to 1 and I would expect similar performance with 590.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:14:37 AM »

Don't guess, know. The TS-590S auto tuner range is 16.7 to 150 ohms.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0590spec.html

For all around matching of just about anything I prefer a manual tuner such as the MFJ-901B.
VA3KBC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »

What are your plans for the future.
If you are going to run some power, say 500 watts or so then you may want to get a tuner that will handle it.
I started with the MFJ 945E that was only good to about 300.
I sold it and purchased a good used Palstar TL1500 that can take 3000watts, because I had purchased a Dentron CLipperton L
My 160 OCF dipole requires a tuner for 160, and the higher part of the 80 meter band..
My TS590 with 35 to 40 watts drives my Amp around 500 watts depending on which band I'm on.
73, DJ
VA3KBC
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:16:58 AM by VA3KBC » Logged
K5JZS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »

use a regular center fed dipole, with a balun, and you wont need a tuner Smiley
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »

Don't guess, know. The TS-590S auto tuner range is 16.7 to 150 ohms.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0590spec.html

For all around matching of just about anything I prefer a manual tuner such as the MFJ-901B.

There is no "guess" involved. My 570 is rated same range but tune far more. Beside if SWR is to high to tune it will tell you and not hurt rig at all.

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 10:10:50 AM »

SGC antenna coupler.

de wn2c  Rick
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 05:43:47 AM »

Yes he will.  Band edges outside of the 2:1 bandwidth.  Drake made the MN-2000 for precisely that....no roller inductor or massive capacitances to try and tune a coat hanger.....it was made to handle band edges of good, well-designed antennas.  Just an example of tuners not being the evil devices that some make them out to be.  It was one of the finest tuners ever made.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 05:45:12 AM »

Yes he will.  Band edges outside of the 2:1 bandwidth.  Drake made the MN-2000 for precisely that....no roller inductor or massive capacitances to try and tune a coat hanger.....it was made to handle band edges of good, well-designed antennas.  Just an example of tuners not being the evil devices that some make them out to be.  It was one of the finest tuners ever made.

Agree with you on the center-fed dipole part though....no substitute for good antennas.

W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »

It appears that the consensus of opinion is that the internal tuner should be able to handle what you want.  Of course, there's no guarantee to that, it assumes that 'everything' is as it 'should' be.  So, if you want to 'cover your bets' then a typically 'large' external tuner should come in handy.
The typical tuner is only to keep your transmitter happy when using an unsuitable antenna.  It isn't going to do any 'miracles' for how well that unsuitable antenna works, just keep the transmitter happy.  Because of how a tuner does what it does, one that can do a lot will of necessity be 'large' because of the required size of it's components.  If that 'size' is a consideration then it's also probably going to be inconvenient, where ya'gonna put the thing?  Oh well...
 - 'Doc

(That "size of the toys" thingy is a consideration in some cases, it isn't always a joke.)
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »

I have been using an MFJ-914 Auto Tuner Extender for a few years now. It increases the internal auto tuner range to 10 to 1. I have been using it on a 32 foot S9 antenna with good results.

73s

K2OWK
N4FBW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:49:41 PM »

G5RV antennas really were not designed to be fed with coax and a balun. Open wire line to a balanced antenna tuner is the best way to use a G5RV. The tuner can be in the shack but if you'd like to keep the open wire line outside the shack, the tuner should be one that is remotely mounted.

Note that coax becomes quite lossy at high SWR's. The internal tuner on the rig or that coax fed tuner will do the trick, but if you are experiencing high SWR's you really should consider open wire line and a balanced tuner, or, adjust the antennas to lower the SWR. I realize that sometimes this is not practical, though
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: