Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icom 736 8 pin mic connector  (Read 1373 times)
KM5PS

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »

I am trying to hook up a headset to the icom 736.  I have a headset with mic on it and can not get it work with mic connector.  I have the following pins so far soldered.  Pin 6(PTT ground)(mic plug) to ground on my stereo female phone plug 1/8", pin 8(AF Output)(mic plug) to one of the center rings on a stereo female phone plug, and pin 1(Microphone input) to the other center pin on the stereo female phone plug. I have reversed the pin 8&1 wires and get the same results either way they are hooked to 8 pin mic plug.  I have also adjusted the vox gain and when I speak into mic nothing happens. It does stay in xmit until I had adjusted the vox some.   The headset that I am using is from Wal-Mart.  It works great with my K3, but would like it to be used with icom too.   Any suggestions?

73's
john
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »

Standard headset for use with PC, such as found in Walmart, uses a 5VDC electret condenser capsule that is wired as a "phantom power" circuit (not to be confused with pro 48VDC Phantom Power for Studio quality microphones).

You would have to make an adaptor that supplies 5VDC properly to the mic and also has a blocking capacitor inserted in series with the Mic audio line to use it with the Icom. 

The K series radios were designed to accept the standard PC mic and supply the needed 5VDC and blocking internally.

To find the pinout for pc headset mic or pc mic, use google, there are webpages all over the place on this subject. 

Some Icoms do supply an 8VDC power to their mics on another pin, while this is obviously higher than the required 5V, it can often be used to power these headset mics without fear as most of them are rated for 9 or 10V max.  But be forewarned that in some instances it may damage the FET inside the electret mic capsule.  A voltage divider consisting of two resistors can be used to lower the 8V to around 5V, though, provided you don't use too low of resistance values and draw too much current. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: