Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Need help finding usb to serial controller driver for Chinese radio  (Read 5770 times)
N8DV

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »

Hi all well, I purchased one of those Chinese radios at the Ft Wayne swap. Installed the so-called software and the drivers but it doesn't work. I am running Windows 7 32 bit. I tried going to Prolific's site and getting another copy. Still the software doesn't read the radio. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  73
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 07:16:10 PM »

First, make doubly sure that you have the Windows7 driver.

I believe that Windows7 requires that you install the driver BEFORE you connect the radio's USB for the first time (XP is the opposite). If you didn't do that then you must disconnect the USB, uninstall (add remove programs) the driver and reboot before you attempt to reinstall it. After you reinstall the driver, connect the USB.

K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:35:22 AM »

If the cable is a "knockoff" and does not have an actual Prolific chip in it the Window drivers from Prolific will not work. Do a search on Google for Baefong Drivers or whatever Chinese radio you bought and you will find lots of hits addressing this issue. Also you may want to look for Chirp Software which is an open source program for programming these radios. Much better then what comes with them. The Chirp site will aslo have info about the driver issue. Also take a look at the Yahoo User Group for the Baefong UV-5. Lots and lots of posts regarding your issue.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:48:14 PM »

There are at least 2 different, incompatible Prolific drivers. I have to install one set and restart to program my Wouxun HT or Icom mobile, then re-install the original to do rig control with my Icom HF rig.
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 02:15:12 PM »

Not sure which radio you have - I have a Quansheng radio and I bought the programming interface from China. The driver software that came on the mini-CD worked fine on my Windows 7 64-bit PC. In case it helps you, I have uploaded a copy here:

http://www.classicsstv.com/temp/win7.zip

I think I got the actual programming software from the manufacturers' website. There is some good Quansheng info here:

http://www.essexham.co.uk/news/programming-the-quansheng-tg-uv2-from-a-pc.html

I think there may be a similar page for the Wouxun.

Good luck!
AI8O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »

Windoze 7???
what version ??

Windoze 7 Premium  is really Windoze 7 BASIC.

Windows 7 Premium will not run most programs written for XP.

You have to use "XP Virtual PC" (64 BIT)

XP Virtual PC will NOT run under Windows 7 Premium.

To run XP programs under Windows 7 you need to upgrade to Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL or ULTIMATE, and then use  "XP Virtual PC" emulation.
AC4WY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 09:50:50 AM »

Depends. If you are using the programming cable that came with the radio that is probably the problem. The "fake" prolific chipsets of these Chinese USB-serial cables will not work with the drivers downloaded by Windows. What you have to do is manually download drivers. See this for drivers and instructions:  http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Drivers.html

Wink
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:04:22 AM »

This method sometimes works for mystery hardware.  Open the device in Device Manager, click on Properties, go to the Details tab, and look for the Hardware ID of the device.  Copy the hardware ID, paste it into Google, and search for the driver.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »

Windoze 7???
what version ??

Windoze 7 Premium  is really Windoze 7 BASIC.

Windows 7 Premium will not run most programs written for XP.

You have to use "XP Virtual PC" (64 BIT)

XP Virtual PC will NOT run under Windows 7 Premium.

To run XP programs under Windows 7 you need to upgrade to Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL or ULTIMATE, and then use  "XP Virtual PC" emulation.

I have never had any problem running any Ham software or USB drivers in my Windoz 7 Home Premium computer.
Fred
NM8D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »

Hi,
And also on the Baofeng hold down the 3 and turn on radio you need the right software for the firmware,
In the radio.
radioshop888.com has both old and new software for diff firmware.
I have 2 uv5r, have to use diff software for each one.

Michael
nm8d
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: