Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N3FJP interface with TS-590S  (Read 6153 times)
K2TTM

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:21:30 AM »

I recently purchased logging software from N3FJP, which is awesome.  The problem I'm having with it is that I can't get it to recognize my TS-590S.

I am currently using HRD without issues for my everyday logging but it doesn't really support contests the way I'd like.  The HRD lets me control my rig completely and automatically logs my QSO information. N3JFP software is great for contesting, but since I can't get it to recognize my rig, if I forget to change the frequency when I switch bands I have a problem.  I have checked all the blogs & forums that I can find and they all give the same advice with regard to settings but none have worked for me. 

My rig is connected to my computer with an RS-232/DB-9 connector.  Does anyone know if using a USB would/should make any difference?   

I'm running Windows 7. Unfortunately I'm not really good with the inner workings of computers so I'm at a loss here.

If anyone is using a TS-590 with this software please let me know which settings you are using. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike - WA2TVU

99.9% of the time I'm on the air, I'll be on CW.
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:58:51 PM »

I run this with a 940 Kenwood. Very pleased with the automatic frequency change. and  logging ALL  info instantly, with one click of the mouse.  However... I to experienced difficulty.  I went to settings, then rig interface, selected kenwood 2, you might try each one kenwood and or kenwood 2.  I then was forced to try each comm port, I use 4.  Then baud rate, I use 4.8 Then Parity, I use None,  Then data bits, I use 8,  Then stop bits, I use 2, Then connection power, I use DTR,  Then Radio Polling Rate, I use 2 sec.  Then Mode by:  I use Rig.  Now this is not as bad as it sounds.  I did however spend some time searching for all the correct combinations, PITA. "When" you get it write it down!  I have had to re boot this once or twice for some reason and having recorded all the settings is golden.  Good luck hope this helped.  keep us posted.  It is worth it IMO.  73
K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it didn't work. I tried every combo I could think of.  I really like the software but it's driving me crazy that I can't get it to recognize my 590.  Not sure what else I can do except live with it the way it is, continue using HRD for my day to day logging and backing that up to the N3FJP software logger once a week or so. Talk about a PITA!

Thanks for offering the suggestions.

WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 06:09:36 AM »

Asking at the wrong place. Go to the N3FJP user group on yahoo, someone there will be able to help you get it working.
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »

Asking at the wrong place. Go to the N3FJP user group on yahoo, someone there will be able to help you get it working.
  Very good suggestion.  I am not a computer goo roo however I did notice when I plugged the radio into the computer it recognized  new device attached.  Does your computer even recognize a "New device attached"  when plugging it into the computer?  Perhaps your not connected properly??   
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 06:08:46 AM »

Maybe this is a dumb suggestion but do you have the baud rate on the radio set to the same baud rate selection in the software?

Guy (K2GWK)

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »

I run this with a 940 Kenwood. Very pleased with the automatic frequency change. and  logging ALL  info instantly, with one click of the mouse.  However... I to experienced difficulty.  I went to settings, then rig interface, selected kenwood 2, you might try each one kenwood and or kenwood 2.  I then was forced to try each comm port, I use 4.  Then baud rate, I use 4.8 Then Parity, I use None,  Then data bits, I use 8,  Then stop bits, I use 2, Then connection power, I use DTR,  Then Radio Polling Rate, I use 2 sec.  Then Mode by:  I use Rig.  Now this is not as bad as it sounds.  I did however spend some time searching for all the correct combinations, PITA. "When" you get it write it down!  I have had to re boot this once or twice for some reason and having recorded all the settings is golden.  Good luck hope this helped.  keep us posted.  It is worth it IMO.  73

Kenwood has historically been 4800 Baud, 8 data bits, no parity and 2 stop bits. I also have DTR and RTS both set to ON for the port in use (COM1 in my case) in my DX Lab Suite Commander and N1MM contesting software (I tried the N3FJP software years ago and found it to be lacking for my needs). Using any other data rate settings for the Kenwood radio interface will probably give you a load of gobble-gook and not work. However I am not sure if the TS-590 is adjustable or not. My TS-2000 is configurable at other rates but my old TS-940 was fixed at 4800,8,n,2.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 04:47:19 AM »

Most of these problems are USB to serial related. In Windows 7, you will likely need a USB to serial adapter (I thought the 590 had a USB?). That adapter would need a driver install, which takes abou 15 seconds. XP does not need that.

Lay out the parameters you are working with. O/S, serial or USB on computer, serial or USB on 590, and the serial settings as others mentioned.

Also, that guy that wrote the logger is very responsive. You can email him.
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »

Can you let us know how it worked out for you?
K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »

I have tried every conceivable combination of settings and NOTHING has worked.  I ditched the serial connection for the USB - nothing.  I tried the virtual USB port - nothing. I uninstalled & re-installed the software-nothing.  I downloaded the latest Kenwood driver - nothing.

BTW, Scott (N3FJP) did offer me the settings that have worked for others, but for reasons unknown, they don't/won't work for me. I also tried the Yahoo TS-590s user group and got pretty much the same information there.

It's simply not going to work for me.  Luckily for me the Ham Radio Deluxe continues to work no matter what I do.  

I really like the N3FJP software, it's great for contesting. It produces great logs, checks for dupes etc., but since it doesn't want to connect to my particular TS-590s I have to be very careful when changing bands that I don't forget to change them manually in the logging program.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mike
WA2TVU
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:11:45 AM by WA2TVU » Logged

W4MMR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »

Mike,
Welcome to the world of weirdness in interfacing radios to software.

First thing I am assuming you are running the latest free version of HRD which is 5.24.0.38 and that you are plugged into your turned on TS-590S which is attached through the serial port to your computer.  This setup would be your previously assumed functioning setup with HRD.  If not, set it up that way. I am also assuming that you have a store bought TS-590S with default settings.

If you are running this version or something close to it AND it is working with your TS-590S, do the following:
Start HRD using the HamRadio Deluxe shortcut.
The radio tuner interface should pop up asking you which radio to connect to.
In this case, you should see the following lines:
  Dem-o-Matic
  Kenwood  TS-590  COM# (where # is the port number) and a large number indicating BAUD rate like 9,600 or 57,600.  If this number is 4800 there are other things to consider below.

The line noting the TS-590 tells you what port settings and baud rate that you are functioning with to the TS-590S.  Write this down - and test it with HRD.  If it still works, then you have the numbers you need for the N3FJP programs.  At this point you show write down COM# and the Baud rate. If it is not working - then try other settings that you had working before.  If you need to walk back though this, we can talk about that on the phone.

SIDE NOTE:  Go to the TS-590 manual (p. 57) to read about the BAUD rates on the lower right of the page.  Note that there are settings for this number for the COM port (menu 61) or the USB port (Menu 62).  I suggest that these two numbers should match only to make it easy to connect in the future to some BAUD rate number that you can remember.  Since you had successful luck with HRD and the COM port, most likely the COM port BAUD in menu 61 number matches that of the HRD. Note that there is a difference between the BAUD rates for MENU 61 versus MENU 62.  The manual notes that in the writing.  You need to remember this if your using COM or USB for communicating with outside programs. As an FYI, COM defaults to 9600 and USB to 115200.  Note N3FJP programs cannot go over 56000 so if you are going to use USB with N3FJP you should set MENU 62 to a lower value such as 9600, 19200 or other as long as it is not over 57600 (which is 56 in N3FJP).  Lot's of stuff there for sure.

Now you must exit the HRD radio interface program to successfully connect with the N3FJP programs because the N3FJP program will need to use the port that HRD uses - and they don't share nicely.

NOW after you have shut down a successful run with HRD and the TS-590S, start the N3FJP program.  Make sure the radio is ON for this setup.  Very important that it is online BEFORE you start the program.

After starting the N3FJP program, under options menu pick RIG INTERFACE.

The rig interface screen pops up.
From the RIG INTERFACE screen, choose KENWOOD form the left column
Choose the COMM PORT from the value you wrote down from HRD program.  These values are from 1 to 10.
Choose the BAUD rate from that from the HRD program.  If the BAUD rate is anything but 4800, pick the button for the rate that is a decimal value i.e. 9,600 would be 9.6, 19,200 would be 19.2, 57600 would be 56.
If your BUAD rate is 9.6 or over, then choose Parity as NONE, DATA BITS as 8, STOP BITS as 1, Connection power as RTS, and RADiO POLLING as 500ms.

IF your BAUD RATE is 4.8, then choose BAUD rate as 4.8, Parity as NONE, DATA BITS as 8, STOP BITS as 2, Connection power as RTS, and RADiO POLLING as 500ms.

Hit the TEST button and the radio's frequency should pop up on the screen in red letter.  Mode should also POP up.

Press DONE here if successful.  If not then, let me know if you have a fail and e-mail me at my QRZ e-mail address in lookup or back here if you can't find that.  We will then resort to phone conversations.

good luck,

mark
w4mmr
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:21:05 PM by W4MMR » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: