Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending code on the road via horn..  (Read 864 times)
CWBILL

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:03:23 AM »

Ok, I havent done this in a couple of years, but im going to admit that a few years ago while the wife and I was out for a drive I noticed a callsign license plate, and since I was behind the guy I decided to send CQ with the horn, my wife just kind of sunk into the seat with embarassment, I passed the guy up and he gave me a nod... I did this maybe once or twice, then realized that some of these hams might not even know code, perhaps its not the ham whose driving, or worse yet they might think im some lunatic and figured it wasn't good saftey so I gave it up. In the past I've had people go past my house and send code when they saw my antennas, one particular one was from a big rig, im sure all the neighbors thought what the heck was going on hearing that horn blast! I also had a visitor stop in and say hello while he was driving his RV. Thought I'd share these little stories with you all. Hope everyone has a Great New Year!

73!
NB8N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 12:52:27 PM »

There's an old saying in life:  I'll try anything once.  Well, this is where I'd draw the line.  I've been a CW op for over 30 years---straight key, bug, and paddle---but I've never had opportunity (or urge) to use a horn.  
Once you have your WAS (worked all states), I suppose you could go for WAC (worked all cars), but I believe you'll pick up the Whacko Award before doing so.  
My advice: Be careful.  Driving is dangerous enough without adding distraction.  
Bob - NB8N
www.bobburdick.com
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »

Yeah, I thought it was really cute when a friend's non-ham mom sent CQ on her horn when she pulled up at home. I was 11 and the year was 1956! (and all hams knew CW then...even 11 year olds just studying for the novice)

Ranks with Volkswagens tooting at each other in the early 60s. (and when some had wind-up keys sticking out of them)

Cute then. Not so much now. Maybe dangerous.

N5XH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 06:21:30 PM »

I've done that a few times, but I tapped out "HI".  It has gotten me various reactions from a smile and a wave to a blank stare.  

9V1VV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 03:05:21 AM »

One of the best QSOs I ever had was with a guy who was driving to work in LA one morning. He was using a homebrew paddle arrangement with two paddles, one  mounted at 11 o'clock and the other at 1 o'clock on the wheel, using his thumbs to send great code at 25 wpm on 30 metres.... wish I could recall is callsign (I am not at home at the moment)...

You could connect up those same paddles to the horn !!!

73 de John

5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »

I beeped out a CQ to a car with a callsign vanity plate once. It was on the highway to the Dayton Convention in 1995, about 30 km from the convention.
The driver put his hand out of the window and extended his middle finger. I assume this gesture has some sort of cultural significance?
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »

Times change.  As a 16 year old with my own car, in 1956, it was common for us to do a bit of Morse between cars, after a club meeting.  We didn't think it obnoxious, but perhaps those in residences we passed, at 10 pm, did.  

I out grew it.  Thankfully.  Anything beyond a "HI" was of no interest to me as I got older.

By the mid 1990s it dawned on me, most of the ham plates I saw on cars were owned by people who had no idea what Morse code was.  I still tried it occasionally, with responses that range from an upraised finger, to someone crouching down over the steering wheel, thinking I was about to attack them for some unknown mistake they had made driving.  I got that response from a lady driving a car with call plates, and at least four antennas on it.  She seemed frightened I was about to ram her car or something.  The idea it might have been Morse code never occurred to her.  Later I looked up the call sign.  It did indeed belong to a woman, so safe to assume she was the gal behind the wheel.  

The day of the friendly "HI" has gone.  I don't recommend it, seriously.  Pick the wrong person and you'll be accused of "maddogging" gang members or something, and you may get a bullet in your window.   Or you may find the ham behind the wheel grabs his cell phone and calls 911, saying "there's some idiot trying to make me pull over on the highway."  

Not a good idea.   I lament the passing of that particular bit of amateur radio comraderie, but changing times have made it not only meaningless, but dangerous.

Ed
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 06:00:03 PM »

At one time, we all had passed at least 5WPM, and it was a good bet we all recognized .... ..

At one time a W or K 1X3 meant you were an OT.

Sending CW with your horn might only be a prelude to road rage?

Bob
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 07:30:05 PM »

OK, I admit to having done this a few times many years ago. I have called CQ and HI on the car horn when I spotted another vehicle with ham plates. Always got some sort of reply too -- either another HI or got 73 back once. But I was careful to do this only when in light traffic so as not to freak other non-ham drivers nearby.

73, N4KZ
CWBILL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 08:17:08 PM »

I realize my sins, I hope the Ham Gods will forgive me. And more importantly I hope that everyone now recognizes the politically incorrectness of sending code in this day of non-code hams!

Now Bob NB8N, Im a code operator for many years too (Straight key, Paddles, bugs, flashlight & smoke signals...) Your advice is well noted! But I must admit I might be interested in the "Whacko award"! Wink

K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 04:04:19 PM »

Hee hee! Just a little bit ago while i was out front of the house doing some cleanup work after the ice a nd windstorms, my ham neigbor honked CQ CQ as he drove by!!!:^)
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »

Why not send CQ by flashing headlights?
Or does that only work on the water?

..or even, uh, by, uh, radio waves...mobile to mobile?

<grin>

I'm sure there must be a reason?

K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 06:11:13 PM »

Or by air hose?Huh? I did that once. I also used a flashlight, but my yl asked what the heck i was doing. he he  
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »

What you ought to do is get the Dudes Call and show up in his driveway.

Then let her Rip.

Loved it CWBILL!!  

That's Neat!!

-P

K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 02:43:54 PM »

Oh, i know the guy VERY well. He lives 1 mile from me and I occasionally visit him to bug him, hi hi! He has helped me out quite a few times in the past with antennas. He is a pretty decent guy.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: