Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The other side of the pileup... Needless duplicate contacts - enough already!  (Read 3924 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 04:58:59 AM »

"Thanks for coming back to me, Harry. You're still 59 plus like you were yesterday and the day before when I worked you here...

"I know you have lot's of people calling, so I won't keep you, but {insert 3 minutes of station, weather, and recent bodily ailment descriptions here}."

Sometimes I wish I could punch people in the face over RF.

I worked C6AKQ last week for a new one. Thanks!

The "I won't keep you (insert 3 minutes of BS) people drive me crazy.  I figure they are folks who have never been able to control a situation before in their lives.  Thus when they have a chance to do so, they poop in everyone's cheerios. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 07:35:27 AM »

There are others on the other side of the world that need many of the islands in the Caribbean, there's no need for me to get in the way.

Thank you for the courtesy, however unfortunately there are many that do not share that sentiment.

73 and DX,

John  V47JA
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 04:29:32 AM »

In more than a few instances I've heard them complain about a number of stations that have worked them 5 or 6 times on the same band/mode

Yes, I agree that duping is bad!  If you have internet access, have you ever considered using ClubLog or a similar type of arrangement for displaying your logs for reference?  I display ClubLog during a rare dxpedition just to avoid the possibility of a dupe.

Randy
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 06:29:28 AM »

Plug for DXLab (thanks, Dave). SpotCollector shows me only spots for band/modes that I don't have for any entity, and DXKeeper allows me to quickly review what I've worked for a particular call or entity.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »

Interestingly, I was going through some very old Northern California DX Club newsletters and found this relevant gem from 1949 that addresses the topic of blathering on when working DX. Read the first 2 paragraphs of http://www.ncdxc.org/newsletter/1949/DXer1049.pdf I guess things haven't changed much in the last 63 years.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »

Interestingly, I was going through some very old Northern California DX Club newsletters and found this relevant gem from 1949 that addresses the topic of blathering on when working DX. Read the first 2 paragraphs of http://www.ncdxc.org/newsletter/1949/DXer1049.pdf I guess things haven't changed much in the last 63 years.

You really hear the type of blathering they are describing in that edition of the NCDX Club on big expeditions to rare DX entities?  I am not talking about stations where resident hams live, such as islands in the Caribbean, the two OPs on South Cook, Jean in Algeria, Bruce on St. Helena, etc.  Very often some of those guys enjoy a conversation. You see it often with some of the French islands where the operators specifically stay out of the US portions of the band so they can speak French to somebody back in France.

I am specifically talking about dedicated expeditions to rare DX such as recent expeditions like: 7O6T, 3D2C, VU7M, VU4PB, NH8S, 3B9SP and ZL9HR, etc.  I am in the pileups like the rest of you but I can't recall the last time I have heard somebody "blather"  like they are describing in the article you cited. 

Chris/NU1O
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »

Chris,

You make a very good point.  I don't hear much of this, either, except on SSB pileups on not so rare entities. 

Not so many years ago, however, there was a famous W8 station (now SK) who made it a point to try to work every station on every band every day.  He was just obnoxious. I recall when I was trying to work the N9NS/KH5K Kingman Reef expedition for an ATNO, this guy got chewed out by one of the expedition ops for trying to make duplicate contacts on the same band/mode. I lost a chance at a contact that day because of him, as the DXpedition operator QRT in disgust. 

Chuck  NI0C

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 12:55:58 AM »

Chris,

You make a very good point.  I don't hear much of this, either, except on SSB pileups on not so rare entities. 

Not so many years ago, however, there was a famous W8 station (now SK) who made it a point to try to work every station on every band every day.  He was just obnoxious. I recall when I was trying to work the N9NS/KH5K Kingman Reef expedition for an ATNO, this guy got chewed out by one of the expedition ops for trying to make duplicate contacts on the same band/mode. I lost a chance at a contact that day because of him, as the DXpedition operator QRT in disgust. 

Chuck  NI0C

Chuck,

You are describing one LID.  Unfortunately the hobby has some. It always has and always will. That's just human nature. N7SMI is saying there is a pervasive problem with hams who like to talk to rare DX rather than just giving a signal report and ending it. I have not observed the problem which he claims exists. I actually can't recall the last time I have heard the behavior described in that old article. Yes, the hobby has problems but guys talking to rare DX and costing other hams a new one is not one of them, in my opinion. I also have a feeling the problem was overstated in that 63 year old article but I'm not old enough to say so from first hand knowledge.

Chris/NU1O

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 03:43:37 AM »

NU1O wrote:
You are describing one LID.  Unfortunately the hobby has some. It always has and always will. That's just human nature. N7SMI is saying there is a pervasive problem with hams who like to talk to rare DX rather than just giving a signal report and ending it. I have not observed the problem which he claims exists. I actually can't recall the last time I have heard the behavior described in that old article. Yes, the hobby has problems but guys talking to rare DX and costing other hams a new one is not one of them, in my opinion. I also have a feeling the problem was overstated in that 63 year old article but I'm not old enough to say so from first hand knowledge.

Chris, I agree with you.  I should have emphasized that the example I provided concerned one particularly rude individual who passed away several years ago.  He was an outlier.   

There still are a lot of duplicate QSO's being made, as the OP pointed out.  In the case of very rare DX, I think the causes are either incompetence on the part of DX'ers, or interference  (in both cases, people not hearing well enough to be sure they made a QSO).  In the case of not so rare DX (C6, for instance), frequently it's people working the same station during and outside contests, and during multiple annual contests. Additionally, it seems to be a tradition on 160m for people to greet each other each "Top Band season."  As long as some discretion is applied, I don't think this latter practice significantly deprives others of QSO's. 

Chuck  NI0C
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 06:27:43 AM »

I remember several years ago hearing two DX chasers talking on SSB about a semi rare or rare DX station which was active, or they were waiting to see if he would go QRV on their freq.  (almost like they were holding the freq for him....) The DX did start calling CQ almost within seconds of their ragchew ending and one of the two ragchewers called him and made the QSO. He then went through the old "Good to work you again....." garbage, and THEN, he asked the DX to stand by while his buddy made his call.  His buddy got HIS QSO and then HE had his little spiel about the family, etc. Meanwhile other DX chasers had found them and were trying to get through.  These two guys took up a GOOD TEN MINUTES with their BS.   Hey, I think "Once a ragchewer, always a ragchewer", even when you should shut the EFF up. Angry

The two jerks were W6 types and the DX was Vietnam or Laos, so it should have been a W6 chipshot, and a little tough for the others I heard calling , mostly E. coasters.  Typical of the ME ME ME AND SCREW YOU attitude. One of the main reasons I dont work SSB unless its absolutely the only way I can snag an ATNO.

73, Gene AF3Y

N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 07:42:21 AM »

N7SMI is saying there is a pervasive problem with hams who like to talk to rare DX rather than just giving a signal report and ending it.

I didn't describe it as "pervasive", but it certainly happens. You have to realize that most of the entities you don't consider "rare" are ATNOs for me. Sure you don't hear this stuff with really rare ones like ZL9HR, but I hear it relatively frequently trying to work new ones, especially easy propagation new ones, like the Caribbean.

As should always be the case, let the DX dictate the conversation and flow. If he wants to hear about all 6 of your antennas (and I'm *SURE* he does), go for it.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: