Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re- finishing / Scratch removal ICOM transceivers  (Read 962 times)
K9GE

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:18:50 AM »

Hi -  My IC-746 PRO I just purchased used, has some scratches on the top cover. Icom America does not have any left to sell. Can someone provide me with information as to who does this type of refinishing work.  Thanks   -    Harold    -    K9ge
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »

Not trying to be smart here but some fine grit sandpaper and a can of Krylon can do wonders.  I'm not a painter but I've had some impressive results following the instructions on the can.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »

I bet if you mask the area, spray it with flat black and sand it off starting with #600 and going down to what looks good it would work pretty good.  It may take a few passes depending on how deep the scratches are.  Or you could just fill it with quick drying sanding filler, and repaint the whole thing if you can find a matching paint.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »

Here is your best bet. You can use automotive filling primer to fill the scratches then wetsand with something like 400-800 to smooth out. Then paint entire cover with a Krylon satin black.

The other option is hammered look paint. This is great for scratches as it hides them perfectly. No sanding or priming needed.

Before you paint, wipe entire cover with mineral spirits and let dry. Any nicotine or oils from you hand will cause the paint to bubble. Use disposable gloves.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »

...or you could just visit your favorite auto parts store to check out the scratch remover products.

Your last resort would be to paint the top cover, just like a car owner would be reluctant to have a hood repainted. Scratch remover comes in popular colors and applies like a Sharpie pen. If you want to blend the repair a little polishing compound can get you there. Another alternative is a paint stick / paint pen from an art supply house.

If all else fails you can always sand down the lid and shoot it with Krylon satin. Do not cheap out on the paint and when I suggest Krylon, I mean Krylon. There is a reason why cheap spray paint is cheap............  Wink

Never change a password on a Friday                
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »

Or get it powder coated and you'll not have to worry about scratching it as that stuff is as hard as nails.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »

Or get it powder coated and you'll not have to worry about scratching it as that stuff is as hard as nails.

That will cost him big money. Those places to not like small jobs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: