Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather Station recommendation  (Read 3439 times)
N0BTM

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2012, 06:01:51 AM »

Hi,
I have always got good information, opinions on this site. I am planning to upgrade my weather station, my old LaCrosse unit is about ready to go SK..Have heard good recomendations on the Davis products, but am open to any, thoughts, recomendations. Thanks
AL
N0BTM
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 07:18:14 AM »

Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2.  Mine has been in operation for 6 years.  Immune to high RF fields, it is mounted to my SteppIR BigIR elevated guy post.  I recently swapped out the sensor suite board after the "supercap" on it failed.  Customer service was exceptional, and a new board was sent out while the old one was still running on battery and solar power.  I never actually lost any significant amount of data.  Swap out was easy, and I was back up and running in minutes.  A really nice station.
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:07:16 AM »

On weather stations it's a "you get what you are willing to spend". A friend has the Davis Vantage Pro and is totally pleased with it. I have had the Davis Vantage Vue up for two years and am very pleases with it. Davis is a quality manufacturer and great to deal with. The Vue is affordable and quantum leaps ahead of the run of the mill stations out there.  It gives me more information than I may ever need or be interested in. Also I have had no RF interference from it. Keep check on the Davis website for occasional special deals.

73 and good weather to you,
Russ
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:18:27 AM »

I bought a wireless Ambient Weather  WS-2080 and am very pleased with it.  It does everything, including link up with your PC if you want it to.  You only need to change the batteries once a year or so.  I paid $110 for it at Amazon.com.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 08:29:26 AM »

Don't buy the LaCrosse "The Weather Channel" at Wally World. The rain gauge lasted about 30 days and the wind speed 2 months. The rest is still going, how accurate Huh. Also it will not operate on rechargeable batteries, the voltage is too low?Huh Go figure.

Clif
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »

Davis Vantage Pro2.

I bought one for my dad at least 7 years ago, it runs great. Had one capacitor die, and some ants chewed it up once.  Davis fixed both times for no charge.   My dad farms and he raves about using it every day.  Smiley

The station needs perodic checking to remove leaves, bugs, dirt from the rain collector screen and tip-buckets.

The price will make you lose your breath, but over years of service, the quality, performance and warranty have shown the value.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:18:07 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »

This isn't an option for everyone, but exactly two miles west of me is a Mesonet station.

Here's what it looks like on the web:   http://www.mesonet.org/index.php/weather/local/bixb

I'll assume professional grade hardware and maintained by the state. Everything I'd ever want to know about the local weather plus history and stats. Might be worth a web search to see if there's anything like this in your area.

Never change a password on a Friday                
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »

Don't buy the LaCrosse "The Weather Channel" at Wally World. The rain gauge lasted about 30 days and the wind speed 2 months. The rest is still going, how accurate Huh. Also it will not operate on rechargeable batteries, the voltage is too low?Huh Go figure.

Clif

The wind and rain gauge lasted about 5 months for me but the wind was never accurate even though it was mounted correctly and should have indicated accurately. Battery life on the indoor unit was OK but the outdoor unit was awful.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »

The Citizen Weather Observer Program, or CWOP is similar to Mesonet. Over 6000 backyard stations around the country upload data which gets digested by MADIS ( Meteorological Assimilation Data Ingest System) run by NOAA.  The data is used to build high resolution surface weather maps.  Once a volunteer signs to the CWOP, they can check their station data from anywhere over the internet.  Here are the current indices at my station:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=k3gm Each weather station is compared to those around it, so there is an ongoing quality control check to assure accurate data. There are a number of different brands of recommended stations if you wish to sign up for the program.  Please visit www.wxqa.com for station requirements.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 03:41:24 AM »

I have an AcuRite that I got for Christmas last year, and installed this spring.  So far, I'm very happy with it.  Indoor/outdoor temp, wind direction and speed, humidity, pressure, rain guage and it runs around $100.  One nice feature is that it will communicate with one of their web sites where you can log in and monitor it from anywhere.

Don, K2DC
N0BTM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 06:47:21 AM »

Thanks for all the info...I should have included in my first post..that I will need a wireless model...and am willing to open my holiday checkbook...would be willing to spend $200-400.
AL
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 07:06:17 AM »

Then Davis is the way to go, take it from someone that didn't ask for suggestions and ended up having to purchase a good one! The only good thing is I put the Lacrosse in my shack so I can see the temp, humidity and pressure (the only things that work now)

No problems at all with the Davis in 2+ years.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »

Get a Davis.  They are worth the money. 

Do Not get a LaCrosse.  They are very susceptible to RF and will need to be reset every time you transmit.  Check out the reviews here on eHam. 
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 12:56:23 PM »

One addition to my above post. The Davis units have a great solar charger. Aim the solar panel south and the sensor/transmitter power battery will stay at peak charge and also the wind direction component will be properly alligned at the same time. Even keeps the battery fully charged during peroids of heavy cloud cover. Merry Christman with your new Davis. Wink

Russ
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »

Get a Davis.  They are worth the money. 

Do Not get a LaCrosse.  They are very susceptible to RF and will need to be reset every time you transmit.  Check out the reviews here on eHam. 

Guess I was lucky with that, never had RF problems with mine and the outside sensors are 5' from my tower. Don't get me wrong I DON'T recommend them.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: