Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSOs per year, etc.  (Read 3030 times)
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »

I'm at 2029 QSOs for the year (about 1/2 of them contest QSOs) but have only had a fully functional antenna up for a couple months. My goal was DXCC and Diamond DXCC by the end of the year and I'm currently at 140 worked and 96 confirmed. I should have enough confirmed to reach my goal by year's end. I think that's a pretty good accomplishment for just a few months of casual operating with 100 watts.

The second and third hundred are as easy as the first 100, right? Wink
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 03:00:21 PM »

To date:  18,203 QSOs in my log this year.  A pretty typical year (and it isn't over yet!)  A large amount of these are from contests and most of these are DX QSOs aside from what I work in domestic contests.  I like to work DX and I try to make at least one QSO with whatever DXpedition may be going on at any given time - rare or not so rare.  It's just a little token of appreciation for them making the effort.  From time to time I'll fire off a CQ on an active band and run a quick pileup.  Total QSOs for my whole log currently sits at 204,846 since I got this call in Nov. 1996.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »

Been DXing and active for the past 20 months.  So far 2354 contacts.  I have a lot of QSLing I need to get on, but have 428 band fills and 158 countries confirmed.  My goal is to work em all on all the bands  Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »

Dave:

My QSL card was not among the 3,000 you received.  You were kind enough to confirm our various QSOs via LoTW for which I am most grateful.  Thank you for making Guam a lot less rare!

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
(Author of the new book RIDING THE SHORTWAVES:
EXPLORING THE MAGIC OF AMATEUR RADIO)

N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »

Dave, what do you do with all those QSL cards??  If you display them you must have them in a 200,000 sq ft warehouse hi hi.  That's an overwhelming amount of QSL cards!
Randy

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to save them all, because I am restricted in the amount of weight the government will pay to ship during transfer.  If it comes down to my kid's clothing (or my wife's shoes) versus the QSL cards - the cards will lose. 

I'm sure I will save a lot of them however... for awards chasing later down the road if I am ever stationed somewhere that is more radio restrictive than my current location.  For now I have them boxed in storage totes in the corner of the shack.

As for LOTW - I try to upload frequently but the latest software issues have meant nothing new since November even though the logs were uploaded.  Hopefully they get that sorted out soon.  I really enjoyed being able to upload daily logs to LOTW during my trip to GTMO (as KG4NL).  I can tell guys are appreciative of the uploads and that's plenty reward for me.

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »

Dave, tnx fer the ATNO and bandfills for Guam!
Randy
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 04:25:06 AM »

I'm at 2029 QSOs for the year (about 1/2 of them contest QSOs) but have only had a fully functional antenna up for a couple months. My goal was DXCC and Diamond DXCC by the end of the year and I'm currently at 140 worked and 96 confirmed. I should have enough confirmed to reach my goal by year's end. I think that's a pretty good accomplishment for just a few months of casual operating with 100 watts.

The second and third hundred are as easy as the first 100, right? Wink

That is a great accomplishment!

My goal is to hit 250 by the end of the year, so I'll have the basic award and three endorsements in one year...  I've been sitting at 249 for the last day and a half...
But, I have access to considerably more firepower... as well as years of past experience--just never got the ARRL DXCC certificate for operating in the continental USA until this past March.  It also helps that I've been operating all three modes--over 200 confirmed on CW as well as 100 on Phone and Data--those DATA QSOs are great for getting QSLs--I just got Corsica on Data for a contact made 10 days ago!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:29:27 AM by W1VT » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 06:38:11 AM »

This kinda comes back to the thread about C6's, where folks were surprised that someone would ever dare work a DX station more than once.

Obviously it's possible to never work the same DXCC entity twice (or DXCC+band+mode twice) and there may even be folks out there who achieved honor roll and never had more than 350 QSO's in their entire life. Don't know if this is the norm or the exception. Personally I think it'd be the exception, but given the threads where folks were flabbergasted that someone would work the same station twice, maybe it's not so exceptional.

There are also ARRL sweepstakes participants who make it a goal work all 80 (or 83 now) sections in exactly 80 (or 83 now) QSO's. This is probably actually harder, than having a sweep of 83 sections with 900 QSO's, because you would have to be 100% S&P, and some of the rarer sections do not commonly run. Just think of the failure of accidentally working the same section twice in such an endeavour! Oh the humanity!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: