Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What mode could this be???  (Read 2600 times)
AJ4RW

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »

I've been hearing this and seeing it on the waterfall for a while but I don't have a clue what mode this could.  I know this is a vague representation of the sound but it's the best I can do.  It sounds like someone vomitting continuously till their QSO is finished I presume.  It's a nasty sound to say the least.  Just a few minutes ago on 18.101 they were on there but I've heard it on other bands.  RTTY, PSK and JT65 all have a sound that is recognizable but this sound baffles me.  This time I saw it's bandwidth of about 200 hertz wide but the QSB made it hard to determine true bandwidth.  I don't have any other way to describe the sound and haven't found any websites that gives me any ideas.  Could someone please help.
Randy
AI7RR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:25:22 PM »

Perhaps one of the hell modes.

73, Roger
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:44:35 PM »

Thanks for the idea Roger.  I've never explored that mode yet but I'll sure give it a shot.
Thanks Randy
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 05:56:10 AM »

I finally found a website that gave an example of the sound, I don't know why my first search didn't find it.  The sound was Pactor.  Although the sound I've heard is a variation of it, it still has the same base.  I hear it on the ham band about once a week even though I thought it was prohibited on the ham bands.
Randy
W6EDD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »

Hi Randy, what is the web site you found to let you hear the sounds?

THanks
Ed
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:03:58 AM »

Ed, the website is:

http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/

73 Randy
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 03:10:44 AM »

I finally found a website that gave an example of the sound, I don't know why my first search didn't find it.  The sound was Pactor.  Although the sound I've heard is a variation of it, it still has the same base.  I hear it on the ham band about once a week even though I thought it was prohibited on the ham bands.
Randy

Very odd that you would think that Pactor was banned on the ham bands and have never heard it before.  It is the most popular TOR mode by far.  There are 4 variations of it.  You probably heard Pactor 2 or 3, and perhaps 4.  P1 sounds like a chirp.  P2 has 2 distinct tones but is more of a rushing sound.  P3/P4 is still a rushing sound, but there are many more tones (the number of tones vary depending on signal conditions).  The one thing in common is the "ack" chirp back as the IRS replies to the ISS.  P2 and P3 are used heavily for message traffic in the US.  P4 is not legal in the HF US HAM bands, but is used extensively in EU.

Pactor is highly effective in moving error free text or binary files.  P2/P3 are also extremely robust and are great for keyboard QSO's as well.

Jeremy N1ZZZ

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 04:10:57 AM »

Thanks Jeremy for the education on Pactor.  I learned more from you about Pactor than I could find on the internet.  One reason why I'm not familiar with Pactor is it's not one of the modes available to my digital program, HRD/DM780.  From what I read it has a price also and being I purchased HRD suite, it didn't seem wise.
It must have been Pactor 4 I was reading about that was banned on the HF bands.  I guess I need to research the right material more to understand Pactor and it's use.

Thanks Randy AJ4RW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: