Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi-band Elevated Vertical - ladder line feed  (Read 14212 times)
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 12:45:43 PM »

K8kas Smiley
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »

Hi Every one

I build such an antenna for holiday use.
Tried it against a minoband vertical GP on 20 mtrs.
There was no difference noticable at all.

I made a lot of nice contacts during my holidays.
The radiator was 5.5 mtr 17 foot and the only one radial was also 5.5 meters 17 foot.
Both the radial and radiator were completely isolated from mast and only atached to the balanced wire.

The radiator was vertical and the radial was running to the ground at about 45 degrees.
I used aluminium mast of about 8 feet.

This antenna worked good from 15 to 40 mtrs, I didnt have time to try it on 10 and 12 meters and there was no propagation on these bands.

For all advicers to use several radials per band , they are totally wrong , to keep a little balance in this antenna the radiator and radial should be the same electrical length.

For other balance problems atc.
Just try it and see how your antenna performs.
We have tried  10 mtr long elevated verticals on 2 mtr high poles, verticals without radials and fed with 6 mtr 600 ohm balanced lines.
Just a single side of the balanced line connected to the vertical and made wonderfull dx qso's on 40 and 80 mtrs with ssb anf 100 watts from Japan to Venuzuela to the US on 80, on 40 mtrs and 20 mtrs even VK.

in theory this antenna should not work good , in practice it wasn't bad at all.
On 20 mtrs this vertical zepp performed so good we even tried phasing 2 and even 3 of these antennas on a line with a half wave of dictance between each of the 2 or 3 verticals and it worked perfect.
You can see these phasing experiments on:

http://blogs.hamstart.net/blog02/archives/33

With 3 verticals the switching in direction is done by simply connecting only the middle antenna to the other open wire.

For all simulators in EZNEC just simulate it and try it, it works great.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:34:50 PM by PA1ZP » Logged
VO1FZ

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »

PA1ZP - Thanks for your detailed reply.

This thread seems to come back to life again regularly.

Since posting the question originally, I picked up an sg-230 auto-tuner for a good price.  Also since then, I've been doing house renos both inside and outside, so my free time for antennas has vanished.  At least temporarily.

I have put together, but not yet erected, a 43 foot inverted L that will have 24' vertical.  At the end of the 43 feet, I'm putting a 40 meter trap and extending the L out as far a possible (probably another 30' or so) for improved performance on 80 meters.   I'll need to lay down radials again, but with snow on the ground now, the whole project will have to wait until spring.

The downside of this is that I'll be restricted to running 100 watts.  On the other hand, the inverted L will be very close to my basement shack (about 8 feet away), so I'm not sure I want to run a ton of power anyway.

Depending on how the 'L" goes, I might well go ahead with ladder line ground plane and give it a try too.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: