Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Your Next of Kin.........  (Read 3267 times)
AC2Q

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:06:45 PM »

Have ANY idea what your equipment is worth?

Tell them, unless you want this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ham-Radio-Estate-13-Pieces-/230894228537?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item35c25e5439
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:22:38 PM »

Heh.  There was one like that on my local craigslist a few months back; the guy had his father-in-law's old TS-520 and an old QRP rig, plus a Heathkit stereo, an external speaker, and a few random bits of this and that, untested.  His ad said:  "You must take the entire lot; price for all this is $3000 firm, I've had this appraised and know what it is worth."

I sent the guy a nice friendly email suggesting that his price might be a bit high ...  then watched as the ad ran again and again over the months.  The last I saw it, he was still asking $1500 for the whole lot, though the rest of the ad was unchanged.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »

That whole setup is worth maybe $700 if everything worked correctly
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »

They actually do and it is a good idea, my fear was that they would sell everything for 200 bucks!
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:20:17 PM »

It is what it is, but my all out favorite was the guy who found that Collins KWM2 in the local thrift shop...

darn him.

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »

Have ANY idea what your equipment is worth?

As far as the XYL is concerned whenever I buy anything its £14.99.  Grin
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »

[/quote]

As far as the XYL is concerned whenever I buy anything its £14.99.  Grin
[/quote]

That is in British Pounds, still too much! $14.99 is cheaper..

Getting to the argument here, those 13 pieces will sell for just what they are worth. I find people on Ebay pay more for broken rigs, new rigs, fixed rigs etc..
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »

My XYL is under instructions to contact my ham radio club to arrange disposal of my equipment, they will also remove the antennas. Over the last ten years I've helped carry out this service twice and it's been appreciated although silent key sales at the club are always sad affairs.

Tanakasan
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »

In our case, it will be the people dealing with the estate after the last one dies - the XYL has a callsign. And the F*(&^%%$%) government will get a great chunk in death taxes - we have no kids.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 02:33:13 PM »

They always overrate the value. I think they get info from ham friends. HRO sells consignment items where the owner sets the price. I saw a TS-440 there for $600. In nice condition, the TS-440 tops out at about $400.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 06:57:56 PM »

Not always.  A couple of years ago I found a Yaesu FT920 on ebay from an estate sale.  It had the FM board, an external speaker, and a desk mic.  There were a few scratches on it, but it worked fine. The Buy It Now price was $220.  Couldn't hit the button quick enough on that one!
John AF5CC
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »

Prior to my bypass surgery I spent a few hours putting small round brightly colors stickers on everything of value in my shack and shop.  Each sticker has a number. 

I then created a folder with matching numbered stickers and a description of what I wanted done with that particular item.  It it wasn't to be given to my friends then the price was included in the description to aid my XYL with it's disposal.

Fortunately it wasn't needed but it's still in its prominent place in the shack..... just in case.  My worst nightmare is to leave my wife with that terrible job.
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »

I'm one of the guys who has given my wife the names and phone numbers of ham friends who would be willing and able to help her value and dispose of my stuff.  I always have the conflict when buying an SK's gear:  I'm looking for a good price, of course, but I don't want to cheat the widow or kids by paying below the going price.  Having someone who can put a reasonable price on the gear and has a network to publicize its availability is one more thing she won't have to worry about.

By the way, I have also told her to make it known that I do not want flowers at the funeral.  Instead, contributions should go to the local literacy group or to the ARRL's Spectrum Defense Fund.  (I've also picked out my music, by the way, and it's heavy on Crosby, Stills & Nash and Jimmy Buffet!)

Of course, all this applies to more than just our shack junk.  A friend of mine, a CPA, has done a very good book, "In Case I Die."  It's well worth the 12 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Die-Jon-Jaques-CPA/dp/0615547745/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355502634&sr=8-2&keywords=jon+jaques

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
(Author of the new book RIDING THE SHORTWAVES:
EXPLORING THE MAGIC OF AMATEUR RADIO)

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »

Also make sure your spouse/next of kin/significant other
is included in a Durable Power of Attorney for
medical and quality of life decisions. (Also known as a
"Advance Health Care Directive Form"
) Check for your state.
You can usually download them from the Internet,
fill them out, sign and have them witnessed and Notarized.

If a bad stroke or head injury leaves you a vegetable
on a respirator, you want them to quickly pull
the plug before medical bills consume your life's
savings. I work in the medical field, I see it happen.
If this happens, getting a fair price for your ham gear
will be the LEAST of your famiy's problems!

Also sit down and discuss this topic with your relatives beforehand and make
them understand clearly that that this is WHAT YOU WANT, that
"pulling the plug" is an act of kindness, love and mercy,
as there can be much "survivor guilt" left for family
members, which can make them delay the decision.

73, Ken  AD6KA
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 06:21:26 PM »

If you have access to the NCJ - National Contest Journal, the Sept / Oct 2006 issue had an article entitled "The Final Balance Sheet" by Paul Schaffenberger, K5AF

Under Lessons Learned:

= Contact a person and designate him to be the custodian of your equipment upon your death.
= Keep current contact information available.
= Maintain an accurate inventory with supporting written materials. Date purchased, cost, etc
= Designate how you want your equipment auctioned, sold, given away or otherwise disposed of

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: