Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-718 CI-V not working  (Read 2721 times)
KC2YWE

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »

Hi all - My new-to-me IC-718 seems to have a bad CI-V jack. I got a cheapo Chinese USB cable (based on the PL2303) and it didn't work, so naturally I assumed it was the cable and checked everything. But it worked first try and perfectly with my school club's 706, so the cable is good. Same computer, cable, software - no dice on the 718. As far as the config on the 718 goes, neither baud rate nor CI-V transceive makes any difference. For the record, I'm testing it at 9600 baud and CI-V transceive ON, but getting nothing in a serial console when I turn the dial (not to mention the programs don't work!). Again, swapping out a different radio and the same setup worked first try, so it must be the rig

I'm hoping to break out the voltmeter tomorrow and start looking around to see what I can find, but before then - does anybody have any ideas? I'm hoping it's just the contacts in the plug or a bad solder joint or something. Google searches have come up naught. The previous owner never used the CI-V so I don't know how long it's been broken.

Assuming it's not something simple, I guess it would have to go into ICOM... What kind of $$$ do people think they'd charge?
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »

Icom CI-V information
http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/

KC2YWE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »

Icom CI-V information http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/

Thank you for replying, but I've read that page a few times (in the context of general background reading) and it doesn't have anything particularly helpful for this problem, unless I've missed something. I understand how CI-V works, the level converter troubleshooting isn't applicable (I've already determined that it's the radio), and I'm not trying to write any software (at least right now). Is there anything specific you were directing me towards?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 05:45:40 AM »

Be sure that the CI-V hex address is set correctly in your IC-718. The programs probably expect the Icom default for the IC-718 ($5E) and the previous owner could have changed it.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:31:42 AM »

If all your bauds and CIV menu settings are correct and it still fails....

If you download the service manual , which is free everywhere (Google it) and look on the LOGIC board at Q102 which drives IC103. You will notice , typical ICOM has zero protection against incoming spikes. Look at pins 2 and 3 on IC103 with a scope and see if you have pulsing as you enter a key from the computer or try to talk to the radio.

If it is not there , replace Q102

It is possible that D102 has a problem , you can check it , but all the ones I repair usually turn out to be Q102

Also look to see if the VCC is on both sides of L-100
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:02:04 AM »

I'll second the advice given by AA4PB.  You mentioned that you were testing the IC-718 and an IC-706MKIIG and that the '706 worked just fine with everything set the same as when trying the '718.  That shouldn't be the case as the default address of the 706 and the 718 are completely different.  You should have to make a change to the address to get each one to communicate, unless you have gone  into the menus and set them to be the same.

Default 718 address is 5Eh (p 47 of manual)
Default 706 address is 4Eh (p 55 of manual)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Stephen
N5VTU
KC2YWE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »

AA4PB and N5VTU, the address on the transceiver is correct and I neglected to mention that it was the only thing I changed on the PC side... In any event, with CI-V transceive ON, it shouldn't matter what the address is, right? I'd still see data coming through in the serial console when I turned the dial. At least that's how it was on the 706...

Unfortunately, I'm suspecting that I have a fried component as N4ATS suspects... I'll crack it open and see if I can figure anything out.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!
KH2BR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 07:17:24 AM »

Dont forget to take ESD precautions, just dont take a chance with that radio.
W3NR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 04:48:05 AM »

With Transceive set to on, your rig control will not work. Icom's meaning of the term is you are using their multi-port ci-v interface. Reset your baud and hex address and turn the transceive off.

Ed W3NR
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 05:45:55 AM »

With transceive turned on you should see data comming from the port when you change the frequency if you are monitoring with Hyperterm or some terminal program that will display the raw data. With other programs it will depend on the program, whether it is designed to decode and display the transceive data. In any case, transceive data exits the CI-V port regardless of the address settings.

W3NR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 08:43:24 AM »

Two things. Make sure you do not have autobaud turned on and this tidbit from Google

.The CIV-TRN=on makes the rig to be the master-rig in a multiple CIV-connected "rig-cluster" where all the other connected rigs are slaves. Strange that this setting is default on...

Ed W3NR
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »

Many computer programs require that transceive is turned on so that when you change the VFO frequency on the radio, the frequency readout on the computer is automatically updated to match.

If you had more than one radio in the CI-V cluster then you wouldn't want more than one to have transceive turned on or they would be "fighting" each other, each one trying to control the frequency. If you have only one radio on the "cluster" then it really doesn't matter if transceive is left on unless the computer program needs it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: