Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the smallest dual band (or tri) mobile radio made?  (Read 3602 times)
KF5GDY

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »

I have a problem in that I bought a new VW Tiguan that has absolutely no great place to mount a radio of any kind. I have a Kenwood TM-701A and I might be able to cram it in between the seat and console if it weren't for the humongous heat sink on the back. I have never bought a car just so the radio could fit and I am not about to start so I figure there is a very small radio that I don't know about that will just lay in the tray on the top of the dash.

Next headache. Getting through a very inaccessible firewall to wire it.  I am not too certain why the car manufacturers do not want you to use cigarette plugs. They have so many outlets around for what?  Somebody said that it can interfere with the computer system ??

Any tips on that will be appreciated. Cool
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »

Since you didn't specify a newer model radio I would have to say a Yaesu FT-90 would fit the specs but only if you could find one on the used market because it isn't in production anymore.

But watch out for extended high power, 50 watt operation.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »

Why not use a dual bander with a remote head?

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:59:03 AM »

The control head for my IC-208 is very small. The challenge might be mounting it, but there are lots of options: dash-mount, floor mount, seat-bolt, etc.

K0BG.COM has a lot of info about mobile installations. Maybe something on that site will give you an idea.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:02:31 PM »

once you pick a radio, getting around the firewall is easy - through the door opening. On my Honda Element, I was able to route the wires from the hood area through the top part of the fender to the driver's door opening, then used plastic split cable-guide to protect them as the door closes on the power leads and coax. I used a hood-opening type antenna mount, so the antenna and power leads run together. It's been working now for 3+ years with no hassle. I removed a subwoofer and used the space to mount the radio CPU and an external speaker, the control head is mounted with double-stick velcro.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 01:52:44 PM »

I'd be very wary of just laying a radio in the tray on the top of the dash--or even velcroing it there.  There is too much chance of it flying around if you had to suddenly swerve or stop.

How about just mounting a control head, and installing the radio itself under a seat or other inaccessible location?  That would solve a lot of problems for you.

Wiring into an existing power outlet or the cigarette lighter isn't wise because the radio will draw more on transmit than most of those power sources could safely deliver.  Not only do you get reduced voltage because of inadequate wire size, you may start the insulation melting and cause a fire.  Not too nice if you were in rush hour traffic on the expressway!

The best thing to do is to look for a control cable or another wiring harness that goes through the firewall already.  Try to locate both sides of where it goes through to find the best one in an open place to get the rig power wires through--or to make your own hole(s). 

Most power wiring won't interfere with the computer in modern cars if you wire directly to the battery, but if you try to power the rig off the vehicle harness, you may.  Good luck and 73!

WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 05:48:12 AM »

I gave up trying to find a spot to mount a one-piece rig in  my Passat. There isn't space anywhere. Next week going for a remote head mount with the head between the shifter and the HVAC controls and the rig, probably, in the rear (wagon).

One word of caution --- VW is notorious for denying warranty claims for any or no reason. Be sure you can completely remove the rig and all traces, just in case. I am on my 2nd VW and family member shave them also, probably eight in total now. Good vehicles but the service and attitude - whew!
KG4WXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 03:21:12 AM »

I have a problem in that I bought a new VW Tiguan that has absolutely no great place to mount a radio of any kind. I have a Kenwood TM-701A and I might be able to cram it in between the seat and console if it weren't for the humongous heat sink on the back. I have never bought a car just so the radio could fit and I am not about to start so I figure there is a very small radio that I don't know about that will just lay in the tray on the top of the dash.

Next headache. Getting through a very inaccessible firewall to wire it.  I am not too certain why the car manufacturers do not want you to use cigarette plugs. They have so many outlets around for what?  Somebody said that it can interfere with the computer system ??

Any tips on that will be appreciated. Cool

Radio Shack HTX-252. It's tiny. Like a couple packs of cigarettes put together.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: